Is Badminton an expensive game?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Byro-Nenium, Jun 10, 2001.

1. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    7 hrs per day... yes, I get what you mean...

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i am glad to see that BC has become an integral part of your life....

muhahaha... and the brainwash continues... :evil:

3. BaMBaM

BaMBaM Guest

I don't know what just happened but I somehow just had the urge to post something. twitch twitch twitch.

4. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    kwun wrote:
    "i am glad to see that BC has become an integral part of your life"

To the annoyance of my parents, yes.

5. May

May Guest

exactly Adel. Maybe we should start listening to Brett's advice and study more.

6. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Heh... well, I've only got until September to relax... after that, it's back to the books!

7. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Hey, I think I told you the opposite - keep a better balance in your life so that your whole youth is not spent with your nose in a book.

8. May

May Guest

That was the last piece of advice. Besides, I love my books, though I don't love them enough to study harder, grades have been pretty dismal.

9. jerby

jerby Regular Member

i kinda liek my system, here in Holland.

I (or my parents..lucky 16 year old me) pay about 75 euro's contribution to a club, a year. and pay more fore training (group training once/twice a week) and a bit more for competition.
    i guess most money goes to shuttles/shoes...

but also here we have gyms were one could hire a court. about 10 eruo's a court/hour...

10. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    this post is like 4 years old~~. Anyways, badminton=expensive. There are too many requirements to play this game. There also isnt enough players to create enough competition in the market for Yonex and such so a few dominating companies control the price. The rackets are also expensive and every few games we gotta change the shuttle... I know Tennis costs a lot too but badminton racket, shuttle=WAY MORE FRAGILE!!!

11. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

it's a cheap sport

it's a cheap sport compar to others popular sport. my membership fees is only $90 for a year play twice a week with plastic shuttle ( yeah, can't complain). unless us bring your own feather, we use yellow yonex mavis plastic shuttle. yeah using feather all the time could make it expensive, but if u want to compromise it's a bit cheaper

soccer/football"

shoes is about 70-120 a pair ( I have 4 pairs. one for wet ground one for dry, and 2 indoors)
    ball is about $50 for a decent one
    court fee is 120 for the summer and 250 for 3 months for indoor (in canada u can't play outside during winter)
    money set aside incase of injury:$100/week during season
    shin pad is $50
    socks is $10

badminton:
    court fee is $90/year (twice/week) and $ 26/month (once a week) at the ymca which I use everyday...
    my racquets: 150 (bk i920) + 80 (yonex mp 22) which will last more than a year if it doesn't clash with somehting other that the shuttle
    strings: 2 sets of bg 65 ti= $ 30 which should last virtually 4 ever
    stringing fees times 2= $30
    Shoes: $115 which should last a while with the help of duct tapes
    socks: $5 for 6 pairs
    monies set aside for injury: almost non existance

there fore in comparison, badminton is a cheaper sport for me :)

12. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    You're missing shuttles! btw you play at the Y? Not the Mississauga one i presume?

13. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    I played both badminton (2/week) and tennis (1/week) about 2 hours each time.

racquet:
    About the same $100 - $150. Have not broken any tennis or badminton racquets yet.

ball/birdie:
    Tennis: $3/can last 2 times. $78/year.
    Badminton: $1.5 each and use 2 each. $312/year.

fee:
    Tennis: Free playing in high school courts.
    Badminton: $5 each time. $520/year.

clothes:
    I wear same clothes for badminton and tennis.

shoes:
    badminton - last for ever.
    tennis - worn out 1 per year - $80.
    So
    Playing badminton twice a week costs me $832/year. :eek:
    Playing tennis once a week costs me $158/year
    Even if I play twice a week - 316/year. :)

#33 Qidong, Sep 26, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2005
  14. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

I don't pay for birdie/shuttle. the place I play provide them. yellow yonex mavis 300, I think. I live in kingston, and the ppl at the badminton club also play at the YMCA.

never play on the Y at missisauga. is it bad?

15. theasiandude88

theasiandude88 Regular Member

student YAY!!!
    i believe badminton is a very expensive game.

birds....at least $10 a tube. if you play with people who arent that great or the temperature is too humid, birds break easily. one tube can easily be used in one night. (i really hate it when people depend on others for birds for games)

grips.....2 for $3. not bad price

racquets average $180 for high end yonex. $35 for repair/warranty. partner breaks, you pay.

strings.....never broken any but i know s4madman has broken many. $8 for bg68ti plus stringing fee $5. people usually break theirs lets say every month.

shoes....change almost every 2 to 3 years. depends. $80 at least.

in the end, very expensive sport.

16. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    whoa partner breaks, you pay? What kind of rule is that? Whoever is holding the racket pays unless it is unquestionably your fault. Also, you have to pay for warranty? I thought Yonex rackets came with a 6 month warranty off the bat. What do you need to repair for? The racket is either broken or working.

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    dude :D

it's all relative. Take golf, one 18 hole round can cost 50 CAD for an average course. If I play 1 round per week from may to end of sept, that's $1250 + 250$ for cart rental. A good golf set (not high end) costs 1500$ + $150 golf shoes every 3 years coz i wanna upgrade. Since i'm not a good player, i can spend 50$ on balls a year. So on per year cost for an average joe golfer, it cost $2100/year for an non-avid golfer(or $4200/year on a 12 mth basis). Compare this to 4 hr of badminton a week activity for 5 month, u gotta be super poor to believe badminton is expensive. Also, having fun in badminton doesnt require playing feather shuttles. Unless ur a A player, there are many B players that play plastics in canada

btw, the above example came from a student i know who does that for 2 years. He is broke and plays badminton now ;)

#37 cooler, Sep 27, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2005
  18. Arief

Arief Regular Member

I believe 'normal' badminton is not so expensive. If you have 1 or 2 rackets, use standard quality shuttle, wear normal sports wear, and average badminton shoes, it won't be expensive... but the fact is that badminton made me broke. :crying: always tempted to buy more and more badminton stuff..

19. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Actually normal baddy is expensive. It's the backyard ones that's the cheapest:p. Nothing beats the plastic shuttle for durability:D. But then again you have to deal with the initial investment of training and coaching... that'll bring you back into the red... which means badminton can be a very expensive sport:D.

If your group's strokes are top-notch (always hitting properly) and you use top quality shuttles, costs can be really low.

20. loner_cho

loner_cho New Member

Badminton isn't that expensive in my opinion. It is actually a lot cheaper than the recent sport I just retired from:p . Compared to competitive swimming, badminton is actually many times cheaper. I shall make a short list about the money needed for swimming.

Training fee: $195/month x 11 months = $2145

Swimsuits: average $60 (effective usage before stretching around 10 races) considering I have around 5 so that (they gotta be replaced, usually I go through around 5-6 swim suits per year) = $300

Swim competition cost: Local meets around $60 for entry cost + events, usually around 8 to 9 local meets and 3-4 away meets away meets cost more around $300 for nearby towns to almost $1300 for out of province compeitions so that = $480(local meets) + $900(nearby towns) + $1300 for Winnipeg

Training camp (Palm Springs, California, USA 1 week): almost $3000:eek: , luckily I didn't go :D.

Goggles: average $20-$30 (I go through a new pair every month or so considering I use to swim 9xtimes a week) = $220

Team tracksuit + t-shirts: (only needed one!) = $320

Gasoline! (my house is quite far from the pool where i practice) $30 a full tank (stupid premium fuel) *car usaully runs empty from 2-3 days. so 121 days x $30 = $3630 (most expensive year we used $6000 for gasoline alone)

Grand total = $9295!:eek: + $3000 if you want to add in the training camp. (didn't add in my Fastskin legsuit which cost me around $180 to the grand total.)

$9295 is a heck lot of money to be spent each year. Thats why I now play badminton, its a lot cheaper :p and more entertaining too.

ps for those wondering how I can swim 9x times a week here was my schedule
    Monday,Tuesday, Friday: 5:00am till 7:15am (mornings for 3 days, then school :( )
    Monday through Friday: 3:45pm till 6:45pm (afternoon everyday)
    Saturday: 6:00am till 9:00am (morning)
    There you have it, 9 practices in one week!

#40 loner_cho, Sep 27, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2005