Is it useful or appropriate to use ankle weights?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bad-min-ton, Oct 13, 2004.

1. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

Gollum is probably one of the more knowledgeable (and credible) BCer's I know.
    A lot of the things he posted (if you do a search from his profile) is great info for beginners.
    ie. That means I agree with what he suggested.

A friend of mine (who is a graduate of kinesiology) also made the same suggestion.
    I would add though that, having too much weight in your vest would be detrimental to your training because it will fatigue your muscles quicker and then promote bad form or increase the risk of injury.

I usually use weighted vest to do jumping lunges on my strength training days (off days from badminton). And even then, I do lower reps with a specific focus on explosive movements and good form. This type of exercise increases your thigh's and calves' ability (mostly the thigh and posterior chain actually) to perform explosive movements and will essentially do the same thing as training/playing with a weighted vest on. But because the movements are much simpler with less momentum/weight shifts, you will put less stress on your ankles and also be less prone to injury.

The exercise suggested (the bungee harness thing) by Mike (I think that's Gollum's real name, correct me if I'm wrong) is commonly used in MMA training. It is especially effective for training for the wrestling aspect (explosive full-body movement but also maintaining stability and strength).

For most people, even weighted vests would be a bit overkill. There are other exercises that can achieve the same results. I'd recommend exhausting those before you move on to training with a weighted vest...

I assume your end goal is to become quicker in your footwork.
    I would suggest doing the "ladder". This is a drill commonly used in football (American and otherwise) to train people to literally move their feet faster.
    Another good exercise is sprinting with a parachute. Though it may sound unconventional for a badminton player (as this is more often used to train sprinters and fighters), you must know that sprinters and fighters (the two groups most likely to do parachute sprints) are among the most explosive athletes on the planet (aside from power lifters, but power lifters are generally a lot heavier). If you translate the same explosive movements you'll develop with parachute sprints into your initial steps in badminton you will see great improvements in your shot retrieval as well as your ability to jump from base position to intercept most shots (imagine LCW type of athleticism).

My last suggestion is probably the most neglected aspect for non-professional athletes. It is the neurological connection to the muscles. Your brain and nervous system can be tuned to fire more efficiently. You will always hear coaches telling their athletes to "visualize the fight", or "visualize the movement". This process of imagining the movements without moving the muscles actually still fires the neurons in your brain that activate the muscles you are imagining to move. (Reread that sentence if it's confusing).
    The more often these sets of neurons fire, the better the connections will be. The better the connections, the quicker the signals will travel. Ultimately, you will move quicker.

Sometimes when you play against an opponent more and more, you will be more likely to intercept their smash. You will also hear some fighters say that, they've learned the rhythm of their opponent's punches. (Note, although these two processes are not the same as the "imagining exercise", the results are the same: your neurons are fired in a set pattern repeatedly and eventually become more efficient)

2. jason1975

jason1975 Regular Member

Hi,

Im thinking of getting some ankle weights to train my leg strength and speed for badminton, but I wonder if it is a useful and appropriate thing to do? What I mean is that whether it is effective or cause harm to my leg? Is it appropriate that I wear it and play it in a game? Any advices are welcome!! Thank you

3. Agile_Monkey

Agile_Monkey Regular Member

Student
    Don't use it during game, as the movements are not consistent.
    Instead, use it for shadow footwork, or off court training for specific muscles.

4. jason1975

jason1975 Regular Member

Thank you!! Yea I should only use it for training instead of during the game in case I might injured myself.

5. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

I've seen several county juniors use weight jackets, but never wrist or ankle weights.

Remember, due to the dynamic (i.e. high acceleration) nature of badminton, you're putting several times the weight through your ankle joints.

Personally, I think the injury risk is unacceptable. However, it's your career...

6. jason1975

jason1975 Regular Member

Yes I have thought about that before so I would not want to risk getting injured. Thank for your advice :)

7. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

I think it should be okay to do it gradually with jogging where the impact is pretty light and repetitive. Haven't used ankle weights myself so can't really comment too surely. But weight jackets are very good for balancing your core muscles, you essentially have to use the correct posture while lunging and so on.

8. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Perhaps it would be more safe to go to the fitness center!?

9. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    I had used an extra silicon insole in yonex shoes in addition to the original insoles. They are quite heavy and can serve your purpose. Little risk of twisting your ankle, but it is subjective and depends on the shoes too. My purpose was different as I was searching for a remedy for my shin splints, until I came to know about customized insoles.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Multiple threads on the subject of ankle weights merged.