Is the MO Trophy a Poster of a Massaging Chair?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open / Korea Open 2011' started by RedShuttle, Jan 23, 2011.

1. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

I understand that the massaging chair may be pride of the new Super Series title sponsor. But a poster for a trophy?

Can someone shed some light on this? Do the winners actually receive massaging chairs?

#1 RedShuttle, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  2. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

LOL the Proton cars were on displayed as well... do U seriously think that the winners drive home the Proton cars? LOL

Thanks for a good laugh to keep my Monday blues away.... LOL

3. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

I'm sure the winners are quite glad to only have to carry the poster rather than the chair itself. Besides, rumor has it the chair was unavailable for presentation. Apparently, an unnamed player was using it at the time to rehabilitate a recurring lower body injury.

As for the cars. Of course nobody except LCW is going to be able to drive them home. The real question is do they check them in or carry them on for the flight home?

4. visor

visor Regular Member

If the winners don't get any massage chairs as a prize, then those posters that they were holding during the medal presentation were a very poorly thought out and blatant product placement gimmick.

5. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

That is true. To be honest, I'm not aware of any prizes being awarded other than the cash. It wouldn't surprise me if it was an awkwardly done product placement. It's kind of an odd sponsor for such an event. I suppose they could have replaced the players benches with massage chairs to showcase their sponsorship but that would have played havoc with the 20 sec 'timeout' limit.

6. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

yes, the winners actually receive the massage chairs. I saw the staff asking the chinese players' personal details such as addresses, phone number, names and the place they prefer to claim the massage chair. After written down their particulars, the chinese receive a receipt, and they can claim the massage chair in Beijing, but they must show the receipt. For doubles pair, each of them can get one.

7. Angelineayht

Angelineayht Regular Member

Student
    WOW .. so they receive prize money AND massage chairs !

8. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    1) This has been going on for the longest time. The accessories the players wear or the racquets they hold when they go to the podium.

2) What's so bad about product placements? Another name for it is sponsorship, and it's something we can never get enough of.

9. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Are U sure each winner will get a OSIM massage chair? If that is the case, LCW needs a bigger storeroom to keep those chairs LOL

10. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

yes. Ma Jin said when she arrived in Malaysia, she has already planned to buy the massage chair, but now, she doesn't have to buy, since she has won it. She looked very happy, haha... she has chosen the pink color massage chair, while Tian Qing has chosen the black color's.

11. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

yes, each player. He Hanbin and Ma Jin each get one. :) I was there listening :)

12. visor

visor Regular Member

In that case, I take back what I said about gimmicky product placement.

13. visor

visor Regular Member

Wearing it and using it on their body, or having a product displayed on court side is one thing.

But if they were not receiving it as a prize, then holding onto a poster of the product while posing for photogs during the medal ceremony, now that would've been tacky.

Anyways, suetyan cleared it up... they were real prizes, so that's kosher...

14. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

So, if they win 5 SS titles, each of them will get 5 massage chair? This is interesting and I'll talk to my source to verify.

15. visor

visor Regular Member

Eh? I think OSIM only co-sponsored the MO with Proton.

I doubt if OSIM will also do KO next week.

16. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Oh OK... I thought OSIM is the major sponsor for ALL Super Series tournaments... If that is the case, then I think it's possible each winner will get the OSIM chair... ONLY for Msia Open SS...

17. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

yes, I think it's only for Malaysia Open. Maybe there is something new in next week's KO. who knows? hehe... :D

18. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    to be honest, no sponsors will be stupid enough to ask winners to hold poster of their products
    when they are actually not getting it...

19. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

I double checked on Korea Open SS website and I noticed the OSIM logo is there... so I think OSIM is the main sponsor for ALL SS events, not just Msia Open SS.... if that's the case and according to Suetyan, ALL winners will bring home the OSIM chair... LOL I really have a good laugh manz.... LOL

20. visor

visor Regular Member

Wah, you are correct! For all SS events for 3 years! Including the venerable AE! :eek:
    That's a lot of OSIM massage chairs to be handed out! :eek::eek:

http://www.marketing-interactive.com/news/23531

Regional – OSIM International has announced its sponsorship of The Badminton World Federation’s World Super Series, which will now be known as OSIM BWF World Super Series.
    The three-year deal, beginning 2011, will have the series offering USD 4.95 million in prize money annually, encompassing all 13 events in the OSIM BWF World Super Series calendar, including the OSIM BWF World Super Series Finals. Out of 12 Super Series events, five have been selected as Premier Series events, with the Korea Open offering USD1.2 million prize money, the highest ever for a badminton tournament.
    The Straits Times has compared OSIM's sponsorship of the BWF to SingTel's SGD10 million sponsorship of the F1 events, saying that OSIM's sponsorship has surpassed the telco's sponsorship in cost.

According to OSIM, the OSIM BWF World Series is an international platform with opportunities for branding on a global scale, in line with OSIM’s business objectives and expansion. OSIM’s biggest market is China, in which badminton is a popular sport.
    The health brand hopes to gain exposure through the TV viewership and widespread interest in the sport. “The sport of badminton has a strong and passionate following in Asia as well as in Europe. This fits very well with OSIM’s growing presence around the world,” said OSIM founder, chairman and CEO, Ron Sim.
    The 5 Premier Series events are the Korea Open, (which gives away the highest prize money of USD1.2 million), the Indonesia Open, Denmark Open, All England Championships and the China Open.
    The 7 Super Series events are the Malaysia Open, India Open, Singapore Open, China Masters, Japan Open, French Open, Hong Kong Open.

OSIM recently announced a revamp of its retail stores and brand image along with its expansion plans in China.