Ivana Lie for sale

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Chesire Cat, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Chesire Cat

Chesire Cat Regular Member

Journalist at The Jakarta Post
    Ivana Lie is for sale (according to PBSI chairman yesterday) :)

Well..since Ivana Lie is being chucked out from the national training center (she used to be women's singles coach) and the PBSI chairman said that they would "export" or maybe "sell" former indonesian players and coaches to countries abroad..so i might as well say..."ivana for sale" :)

but ivana herself said that she didn't want to leave the country

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Hmmm... and here I thought human slavery is outlawed internationally:rolleyes:.

3. Chesire Cat

dear cappy :D

it was the chairman's statement. he said that he would "sell" them if both sides agreed with the "price" LOL

so who's bidding? LOL

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Ah, that kinda reveal the chairman's mentality towards his staff/resource:D. Man, won't it be cool to have Ivana personally coach me in my very own gym:p?!

5. badmad

badmad Regular Member

chucked out for what?? is it bcoz indonesian women are not doing well enough??

PBSI chairman must choose his words carefully. "Export" & "Sell" are the words that lack decorum... prolly he needs a training... :rolleyes:

6. Chesire Cat

cappy...if you want ivana to personally coach you i think you should move to indonesia because..*sings in RnB tone*...She's ain't leaving the country....HEHEHEHEHE :D

7. Chesire Cat

that's what ivana is complaining about....

nobody told her why she was chucked out from the center...nobody even had the courage to tell her until two days ago (although she learned from the newspaper (months ago) that hendrawan was going to be the women's singles coach - it means she has to go)

for the complete information...read my article! (sounds like a commercial LOL)
    but i haven't finished writing it yet :D :D :D guess you just have to be patient

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Heh! Don't you know, dear? Money can move mountains:D. In this case, she's safe from me cuz I got none:eek:.

9. Chesire Cat

hahaha...ok...i guess i can tell ivana that she's safe huh? LOL weeeeeell...PBSI chairman did say something about selling them (the coaches) to countries, which just started to have interest in badminton, such as US, australia, new zealand etc

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    hey, hurry up. we want to read that artcle, along with the Candra/Sigit one.... hehe. ;)

11. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

not to get off topic but is Ivana Lie a real person?

Sounds like the beginning of a bad lawyer joke :p

12. viver

viver Regular Member

I believe Ivana Lie was Indonesia's top ladies singles player during late 80's?? before Susi Susanti came into the picture.

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    don't know why one would want to stay in a country that treat you u like dirt :rolleyes:

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Some should let Ivana/PBSI know about the auction here :D :)

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Stock Broker
    He may really mean 'SELL' or what is commonly known in the sports market as a 'transfer fee'.

If you can recall, Singapore had wanted to keep Taufik Hidayat when he had problems with the PBSI and wanted to follow his coach, Mulyo, who was employed then by the SBA, possibly because Mulyo could not continue as a coach with PBSI. In fact Taufik was here for some time but Singapore could not get an offcial release from the PBSI who demanded a high 'transfer fee' which Singapore was unwilling to pay.

All this is history and Taufik managed to redeem not only himself in the end by being crowned the Athens Olympic Champion but also save some face for PBSI from the embarassment of losing the Thomas Cup, which Indonesia has held for such a long time.

16. Chesire Cat

PBSI sends 16 badminton players home [font=Arial, Helvetica]

Eva C. Komandjaja, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

The Badminton Association of Indonesia (PBSI) has sent home 16 shuttlers and three coaches from its national training center because it says they performed poorly in recent badminton tournaments.

However, several coaches at the center, all who requested anonymity, accused the PBSI of lacking money to send shuttlers to European tournaments. They said Indonesian shuttlers would be better prepared if they participated in as many international tournaments as possible.

Women's singles coach Ivana Lie, men's singles shuttler Taufiq Hidayat Akbar of Jakarta and Andre Kurniawan of Central Java are among those who will be sent home this week.

"We want to make the center more prestigious so any shuttlers admitted to the center have to work harder to prove themselves," PBSI chairman Sutiyoso said on Saturday while sending shuttlers to the Denmark Open and World Junior Championships in Vancouver, Canada.

He said the 16 shuttlers had performed poorly during training session and in local tournaments but did not elaborate on the details.

"The coaches were the ones who knew their shuttlers better. So we believe in their judgment," Sutiyoso said.

There are now 49 shuttlers at the center and 14 coaches, including women's singles coach Hendrawan, women's doubles coach Atiek Djauhari and men's doubles coach Christian Hadinata.

Coaches Joko Supriyanto, Herry Imam Pierngadi, Richard Mainaky, Sigit Pamungkas, Paulus Firman, Aryono Miranat and Olympic gold medalist Taufik Hidayat's personal coach, Mulyo Handoyo, were also assured of their jobs at the center, he said.

Sutiyoso hoped the PBSI could "export" the dropped coaches to countries that had started to develop badminton such as the United States, Australia and New Zealand.

However, the idea was opposed by Ivana who said that she would rather find a coaching job in Indonesia than abroad. "I'd rather stay here since I have been brought up here."

She also criticized the PBSI for dismissing her from the center without any reasons or feedback.

"They (PBSI officials) told me yesterday (Friday) that I would not be in the team any more but they didn't give me any reason.

"They should have explained why they thought my performance was bad. Was it because the women's team failed in the Uber Cup? If that is the reason, why is it only me? The men's team also failed in the Thomas Cup," Ivana said.

PBSI officials hope six Indonesian shuttlers will reach the final at the Denmark Open in Aarhus, Denmark, from Oct. 5 to Oct. 10. They are Olympic bronze medalist Sony Dwi Kuncoro, Simon Santoso, world No. 7 men's pair Luluk Hadiyanto/Alven Yulianto and the junior pair of Markis Kidho/Hendra Setiawan.

PBSI development affairs head Icuk Sugiarto said since the PBSI had limited the number of players competing in international events, "the (players), especially the seniors, should reach the final round."

Joko predicted Sony would be able to reach the semifinals but Simon might only reach the quarterfinals.

"My prediction is based on their experience in international events. The target is reasonable," he said.

Sony, third seeded in the tournament, will first face Jesper Skau Madsen of Denmark, while Simon meets another Dane, Jens-Kristian Leth.

The PBSI had planned to send 21 shuttlers to the German and Danish opens but suddenly withdrew 15 players and had to pay a US$3,750 penalty fee to the International Badminton Federation.

The association said the shuttlers would have to focus more on Asian tournaments such as China Open in November. Sutiyoso said he wanted the shuttlers to "understand that it's difficult to compete in international tournaments, so they have to fight with each other (to win a place in the tournament) first".
    [/font]

17. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    Did the Indo Thomas Cup team fail ? If so, is Korea or even Thailand and Malaysia bigger failures ? :confused:

I think to maintain the standards of Indo badminton, those who arent contributing to the team should be axed. Why can Mulyo stay although he's only training Taufik. Because his trainee produces results (i.e Olympics). The same goes for Joko Suprianto. :)

I have never heard Indonesia's ladies performing well in recent times. For a strong powerhouse, they didnt even have a representative for the WS in the Olympics. I think the 'sale' of Ivana is just to change the public's impression of the women's team. Chairul Tanjung also did likewise. :(

18. MakubeX

MakubeX Regular Member

Why dont the chairman move her to another town to coach?
    I think that's a lot better than to "sell" her to another country.

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    failure also have "expectation" tagging along with it. no one expected Thailand to do well, and thus their failure to capture the TC isn't really that significant.

Indonesia on the other hand, has higher expectations thus their could be considered failure. i think the same for Denmark as they have the ability to win. but Korea and Malaysia were slightly below the top so make your own judgement there.

Indonesia used to be strong in women's event, they last won the UC in 1996. however, since then, they have been going downhill and Ivana Lie never produced a top player since. if given a time span of 6+ yrs and she still cannot produce a good player, it could be that she is blamed for the failure. of course, we will never know if there are other factors involved.