Jan O Jorgensen

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by TedTheFarmer, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Master

Master Regular Member

His comeback mission...

2. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Jorgensen is now WR 155, will be hard for him to play SS for some time.

3. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

He hopes for a comeback soon at the Europeans.
    If his injury is no more, WR ranking will skyrocket quickly. ;-)

Cheers,
    FB

stanleyfm and Master like this.
  4. Master

Master Regular Member

All set for a BIG 2018. The comeback is in progress...

5. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

I want to Watch Jorgensen vs Axelsen

6. Master

Master Regular Member

7. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Thanks but I mean the current much improved Axelsen vs Jorgensen, in those 2 matches Axelsen was the 0 SS 0 WC Axelsen

8. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

He has a protected ranking. In short, it allows him to "keep" his ranking for entering tournaments (not for seeding) for some time after his injury period.

stanleyfm likes this.
  9. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

I dont know what this means, can you please elaborate or explain?

10. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

There is a mechanism in which if a player is absent for a considerably long time (such in this case), the ranking by the time they get injured will be stored within BWF database to be used later on when he/she makes a comeback in determining their qualification and eligibility in participating the tournament
    This is called the 'protected ranking'

Hassefar60 likes this.
  11. Hassefar60

What he said .. and thus not seeding. Joachim Fischer also has a protected ranking.

stanleyfm likes this.
  12. Master

Master Regular Member

I though that protected ranking is only for Top Committed Players and JOJ isn't a Top Commited Players for 2018.

It should be available only for Top Committed Players.

Top Committed Players : Top 15 singles (MS/WS) players & Top 10 doubles (MD/WD/XD) pairs

Refer to : Section 5.3.6 Player Commitment Regulations

13. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    JOJ did qualify for said rule in 2017 no? From what I get, he just needs to qualify for the rule when he is making the request.

stanleyfm likes this.
  14. Mr Arc2

Mr Arc2 Regular Member

JOJ last game was on june 23rd vs Anthony Ginting. The next rankings were released on june 29th. JOJ was 10th in these rankings. so he was elgible for a protected ranking.

15. Master

Master Regular Member

JOJ's last tournament in 2017 is Australia Open. When he joined the 2017 Australia Open, his ranking was at 4th. And post Australia Open, his ranking was at 10th (6/29/2017).
    Yes, he qualified based on the ranking and he can submit a request to get a protected ranking. Is there any source mentioned that he had requested that? And when it granted by BWF?

There is a tricky thing by having a granted protected ranking :
    After 12 months the player will have to enter tournaments based on their normal ranking position and the protected ranking will no longer be in force.

A protected ranking is helping the player to enter high level tournament as he used to play before he was injured. But the problem, is that really help a comeback-from-injury player?

The post injury player's comeback is starting slow and need some adjustments in their playing on court. Even IF they could join some SS tournaments (Level 4 onwards) again, I don't think they would directly jump into the high level tournaments in their several first tournaments.
    Then they would collect such an enough points to join the higher level tournament after.

IF the player have a protected ranking, he will have only 6 months upon their return on court to use that protected ranking.

IMO, it's practically the same thing between use or not use a protected ranking.

Have anyone have information who have ever use this protected ranking before?

#315 Master, Jan 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  16. Mr Arc2

Mr Arc2 Regular Member

the protected ranking request is just a pro forma. so he certainly has used it.
    Considering a comeback you missed a big point. he can have practice matches vs some of the best european singles players. All of them on the danish team. He can get into form against VA, Vittinghus, Antonsen and others. Its not like a Fabian roth from Germany fwho doesnt have any competition within germany and would have to enter lower leveled tournaments to get back into form.

17. Master

Master Regular Member

A practice session along with top elite players would still a different condition with the real tournament matches.

Could you mentioned any player's name that having post-injury comeback and having their first three tournaments' result really astonishing (except Carsten Mogensen off-course)?

One BIG enemy of post-injury comeback is that your brain automatically saying, "STOP, don't do that movement again. It hurt." And your movement steps will stuck at a certain thing.

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Probably Goh Liu Ying is doing that.

stanleyfm and Master like this.
  19. Hassefar60

Hmm. Good point. My understanding of the rule is that JOJ due to his ranking at the end of 2016 was considered a top committed player for the entire 2017. Since he was injured in 2017, he was eligible for a protected ranking. Also, I am not sure the term "top committed player" was even in the regulations when he got his protected ranking.

They have mentioned it multiple times during badminton broadcasts on Danish TV (and I believe also in a podcast with Joachim Fischer). That is my source.

My understanding is that both protected rankings and the term "top committed player" are new and that the protected ranking is much more relevant now with tournaments that have no qualification rounds (Super 1000 and Super 750??).

20. Master

Master Regular Member

It isn't really a new thing. The regulation on Superseries event mentioned about this protected ranking as well the new 2018 regulation.

Previously that regulation located at Part III - Section 10 - SS Appendix D - Player Commitment Regulations.
    Here is the document : http://system.bwf.website/documents/folder_1_81/Regulations/Superseries/Part III - Section 10 - ANNEXURE D - Player Commitment Reg.pdf

The different thing is :
    • Old regulation : Top 10 Players
    • New regulation : Top 15 singles (MS/WS) players & Top 10 doubles (MD/WD/XD) pairs

This issue become a hot topic after the number of mandatory tournament increasing from 8 into 12 per year PLUS there are some tournaments with no qualification round. But I don't think any player have been requested it. At the same time, the ranking have been updated week by week and they're gradually losing their points.

While the possibility to have a protected ranking have been there for more than a year, no one have used it as far as I know.

If any players have a ranking >100, they couldn't join through a qualification round of SSP tournament practically. (It's a similar condition with a Super 750/100 with no qualification). The players with extremely low rank (Ranking >100) couldn't play at all in both Super 750/100 with no qualification Round or a SSP with Qualification Round.

If it's useful for any Top 10 players that have a prolonged injury & recovery, we should notice some of them had used it at previous year.

#320 Master, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018