Japan/China Open '06: why did taufik lose ?

Discussion in 'Japan Open / China Open 2006' started by baihaki_as, Oct 15, 2006.

1. smashko

smashko Regular Member

I wonder why we have to ask W T L each time TH loses. In fact TH only won the IO this year, got beaten by other players sooner or later in all the other tourneys he participated. I can not remember how many times that was.
    TH is just one of the top players like LCW, PG, CH, BCL etc. They have almost equal chance of beating each other when they meet. CJ seems to be joining this group too. And don't forget there is LD who has a clear edge over all the them. Whether you like it or not, LD has won more than 5 IBF grand prix titles every year since 3 years, that is more than more than half all the MS titles. Statistically this means LD alone has more chance of winning any title than all the rest of the MS players combined. TH in his best days had never achieved such a dominance.
    It is no longer a surprise to see TH lose. Each time he has to pass other top players, and even if he does, there is LD standing in his way. He has lost to LD 3 times this year alone.
    Instead of asking the boring question W T L, we should ask "Why TH won this time?" if he does manages to win a title.

2. bananaboy

bananaboy Regular Member

business owner
    Chen Jin's round the head shots were done very nicely today... and more impressive is the fact that he was able to read TH's game very well. A few times in the 3rd game, instead of doing a clear to TH's backhand, he crosscourt cleared right above TH's head and surprised TH(probably thinking about showing off his backhand smash at that moment)... then CJ found himself an opening for attack again. Also CJ's moment toward his forehand back corner was very smooth, and the stroke afterward was good as well... and not forget his drives are really good, kinda surprise to see so many drive shots in a singles game.

3. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Taufik's just a player like anyone else - a good player yes, but by no means invincible. Not every player can win every tournament, only one out of like 64 or 32 can win. So if there was a thread dedicated to why each of these players lost we'd have what... like 63 threads flooding the forum :rolleyes:? Anyway I think we've had more than enough WTL threads. Any more and it's just getting ridiculous (well more so than it already is).

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Merged the WTL threads for these two tournaments.

5. byelnats

byelnats Regular Member

Honestly, this is a stupid thread. TH is a genius, no doubt about that, but he is not unbeatable. Name a single badminton player in the world that has never lost before. Even legendary players such as Rudy Hartono or Park Joo Bong have tasted defeat before. There is no such thing as invincible in any sports. Anyone or any team will taste defeat sooner or later. The way I see it, it is a pointless discussion.

We know that TH was doing his best in China. Both him and Chen Jin played optimally. He lost without losing his dignity and he tried his best. That's all that matter.

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..hmm, i'm sure he must be quite prepared for this encounter...esp. a week of resting & training and watching Taufik's match against LD...But for a 1st time encounter for both players, i'm sure it was quite a match to enjoy..;) :) :cool:

#206 ctjcad, Oct 20, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Good idea..

..might as well wrap 'em into one, Cheung...hehe:p ;) :D :cool:

8. bananaboy

bananaboy Regular Member

business owner
    Even better was the fact that Chen Jin made very very few unforced errors in the 3rd set when it is so intense and stressful... it's amazing such a young player can manage to play so well. This time, no one can really blame Taufik for losing... he played well, just Chen Jin was superior this time. Chen Jin earned my respect!!! Taufik proved he's still good to me.(nice jumping backhand smash at late point of the 3rd set, and they showed an up-close slow motion, too!!!)

9. woodenRacket

woodenRacket Regular Member

Agreed! :)
    Fact is so transparent yet someone just refuse to face it. That's why we have a WTL thread or maybe a www.whytaufiklost.com later on:D :D

10. woodenRacket

woodenRacket Regular Member

yes, good for him this time. To lose is nothing but not to escape.