Kento Momota (桃田賢斗)

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by zimmerman, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

A win against current LD in major. ''which is always as close as a defeat ''

2. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Well, he did it. Congratulations to Kento. Must have been a hard 2 years away from winning at the top level of badminton. The tight net shots caused problems for Chen Long, just as it did for LCW. And Kento's smashes were accurate and consistent. Also, some great defense from Kento.

In terms of the overall importance of the win, I think this one may be comparable to his Thomas Cup win. His Thomas Cup win was important because it helped Japan claim the Thomas Cup for the first time in history. However, Kento was 2nd seed for MS on the Japan national team so he was not beating the best players in the world. In terms of caliber of opponents beaten to win a finals, this has to be Kento's best achievement. Kento beat Shi Yuqi (All England winner), Chou Tien Chen, LCW, and Chen Long to win this. This tournament had the best in the world, except for the Denmark players.

I think this is the best form Kento has ever been in. Kind of odd because he didn't perform all that well at the other SS tournaments this year. I couldn't see this huge leap in performance from him.

Anyways, Kento's win makes things interesting for the WC this year. For the first time in a while, the possible contenders for the WC is very wide open. Viktor is the favorite but he is not a huge favorite. Viktor can be beaten. Other contenders that could win the WC include LCW, Chen Long, Momota, and Srikanth, Shi Yuqi, LD (I think LD is the weakest in this list). That's 7 different players that could realistically win the WC. This is so different from before when only LD and LCW were the contenders for the WC. And then it became LD, LCW, Chen Long as the only contenders for the WC for a time. This time, the field is wide open.

thyrif, BeeKi, visor and 1 other person like this.
  3. Master

Master Regular Member

Gillian Clark will say "I don't believe it."

"What amazing comeback from Momota"

"Momota has greatly improved his playing and now he's on the podium of Badminton Asia Championships."

"Oh my goodness."

"He is Kento Momota from Japan with his outstanding performance today at the final stage."

"This title is his second title in 2018 after previously he got Vietnam International Challenge's title in March."

"Oh, no I need Steen right now to interview Momota."

BeeKi likes this.
  4. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Jan O' Jorgensen has been struggling since he came back from his injury. He is losing to players he wouldn't have lost to before he became injured.

5. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

I think PJB took a bit of a gamble there, sidelining Shoji Sato. Then again, this wouldn't bother KM, would it? :D

#2625 Cunning Linguist, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  6. visor

visor Regular Member

The thing is we can see there are some players who are more naturally gifted than others, like Momota, TTY, Intanon, LD, LCW... If any of these take a lay off, they can come back to their previous level

Sundis likes this.
  7. shadishv

shadishv Regular Member

Me too in your camp.....

Cheung likes this.
  8. shadishv

shadishv Regular Member

Oh great news......glad Kento did it! So happy for him. still at work and so did not see the match.....will watch it tonight happily.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    He will be back. Different players need different lengths of time.

10. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Well, I stand by what I said! On a good day, Momota can beat the best in the world. He just did that today.

Back in October of 2017, if Momota had been playing in the SS, he would have won in R1 and R2. You don't go from a struggling R1 and R2 player to beating the likes of Shi Yuqi (AE winner), CTC, LCW, and Chen Long is the same tournament, within 6 months. And to top it off, Kento beat LCW and Chen Long in 2 sets.

11. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Trying to watch this match. In all seriousness, is there somewhere I can get these matches in full quality?

For some reason the people uploading to YT seem to consistently do an absolutely awful job. They **** around with the layout, adding logos mid recording etc., the encoders are never set up well meaning you get artefacting, dropped frames... I want to watch these matches, but I can't stand the piss poor quality they're being delivered in.

Renmazuo27 likes this.
  12. lurker

lurker Regular Member

YouTube smashnation

Cheung and ashers888 like this.
  13. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

I think that is what he is referring to with 'adding logos mid recording' ;)
    Plastering logo's all around like they own the content :rolleyes:. Of course that is part and parcel with these pirate channels so just something you have to account for (as long as there are clean downloadable alternatives it should be just about okay. In the very beginning of the BWF Youtube channel I pointed out these channels uploading their videos and the reply I got [and probably still have in my email] was that it was actually fine for them to do so o_O:D?! Before all this logo adding stuff etc. of course became a thing).

14. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

@kurako

It came earlier than expected! Way earlier. What a comeback. What a defense! What a counter! Incredible. We waited for a long time but he got us a very nice present today.

One minute of silenc...no wait.. 1 hour of silence for those who said the following:

1. But Momota can no longer beat the top 10;
    2. But Momota cannot sustain a competition with the top 10s;
    3. But Momota has never beaten LCW;
    4. But Momota has never beaten Chen Long;
    5. But Momota will never get back the reflexes he had before and once you are banned you cam never get back to how you were;
    6. But the progress that Srikanth and Axelsen did in that 1 year can never be caught up by Momota, they are too far ahead; and
    7. Others....

Such a slap to their faces!

Masterpiece of a match by Momota! He was relaxed the whole match. Not even pushed to the limit I feel.

@Nine Tailed Fox

He does not need to defeat LD. LD is GOAT no one really defeat him for real. His class is a few levels above. They can only defeat him when he lowers his level.

But yes when he does Momota can do it as well there is absolutely no doubt about it.

BeeKi, swsh and kurako like this.
  15. Master

Master Regular Member

Steen gives his comment:

melon94, stanleyfm, BeeKi and 2 others like this.
  16. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

Why I read your post in Gill voice lol :D

BeeKi likes this.
  17. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

A big progress in Momota thread can finally prevail after he was labelled ''AVERAGE TALENT'' by Expert and the only real 'know-all' ANAND S few months ago.

18. BeeKi

BeeKi Regular Member

Honestly, I'm going to cry when saw his tears on podium today.
    Almost two years, finally he got his honor back. :):)
    Waiting for this moment for longtime after India Open 2016.

Thank you everyones for staying on his side.
    I'm so happy to be a part of you here.

This isn't finish yet it's just beginning for him. :D:D:D

#2638 BeeKi, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Master and Quentin11 like this.
  19. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

I'll say there is one thing impressive about Momota. He manages to win big finals on his first trip there. I think he won his first SS finals against Viktor. And this is his first time getting to BAC finals and he wins it there too. It's not easy for somebody so young like him to stay calm every time he makes the finals. Even LD had to mess up a few times in the finals before he learned not to choke anymore.

stanleyfm, BeeKi and Quentin11 like this.
  20. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    scalp count reads-
    CL
    LCW
    CTC

in straight games!

visor and stanleyfm like this.