Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Kento Momota (桃田賢斗)

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by zimmerman, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Before complaining, i request you to see all the tournaments and come to a conclusion. In japan open also, two top seeds (including Marcus/Kevin) were forced to play in court 3 for quarterfinals.

2. super-g

super-g Regular Member

I think Momota will lose tomorrow. His movement has been recently so slow due to fatigue or back injury or whatever that Son Wan Ho will just outrun him. He was as slow as Lin Dan in their first round match :eek: Why can't he skip some tournaments like Tai Tzu Ying or just lose first round matches on purpose? I am afraid rest of his season won't bring any trophies as there won't be many weeks off.

3. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

I think he can still beat SWH. Even SWH isn't at the top of his form tbh. But it'll still be a pleasure to watch these two play.

Momota is qualified automatically for the finals right? Because he became World Champion? Couldn't he not sit 1 or 2 tournaments before that?

4. kurako

kurako Regular Member

As Momota mentioned in his post Denmark/France interview, he believes that trying his best in Fuzhou and Hong Kong will make him a stronger player. He is not going to 'sit out', unless forced to do so by an injury.

But, it is not only the Fuzhou and Hong Kong tournaments that he will be participating in; the All Japan Championships is also scheduled before the BWF Finals, and all Japanese players who qualify for this domestic tournament are compelled to take part (... unless they want to forfeit their chance of a place on the national team). And whilst, at first glance, there may not be too much in the way of competition from other MS contenders, Momota is going to feel the pressure of the home crowd.

5. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

What will happen if Momota lose the first match in the All Japan Championships??

6. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    yes.
    from momota's point of view i believe he feels obligated to play when and where he is told... and i'm sure we all know why.

park joo-bong has acknowledged kento's busy schedule and his (nba's) expectations of him. it doesn't include winning every tournament. i'm pretty sure it's based on improving all aspects of momota's game towards their ultimate goal... t(sic) minus 2020.

Quentin11 likes this.
  7. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

I'm only worried about his health though.

In Football players usually get injured when they are tired but keep going at it.

But i'm sure the NBA and PJB is aware of that.

8. kurako

kurako Regular Member

He will still be selected for National Team A on the basis of his domestic ranking. He is No. 1.

Press coverage wouldn't be very kind though, and that is to say nothing of the social networks.

Quentin11 likes this.
  9. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Was there any talk of a back injury in the recent interviews? That strapping was massive and surely isn't there just for precaution. In addition, I have to agree with GC, some of his movements look like he's actually in pain.
    He might be able to beat SWH tomorrow, after that it unfortunately doesn't look likely.

10. kurako

kurako Regular Member

No, Momota actually went as far as to categorically deny that he was injured, attributing his performance at the French Open to accumulated fatigue. He is usually very frank in interviews, but if he were injured, it is possible that he would want to conceal his condition prior to a tournament.

Cunning Linguist likes this.
  11. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

The dude managed to beah SWH.

The real test is tomorrow. But Chen Long is hot right now. I hope Momota gives his best for this match!!

12. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Didn't expect Kento Momota to win today, let alone in three games and with slow shuttles. His movement seemed rather impaired in the two matches I watched, but there hardly was anything remaining of that. I thought the first game was just utterly incredible in terms of shot quality, and both players couldn't really keep that up for the rest of the match.

CL certainly won't be happy with the way he ended the game, similar to the AC final, but that just shows how the pressure of maintaining top notch shot quality through 1 1/2 hours against KM is something that can get even the most experienced and solid players shaken.

Saru, Svyat, ratul_kai and 1 other person like this.
  13. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Didn't understand MF's reasoning when he said physicality wasn't a concern in this match.

Yes Momota was able to keep up and yes Momota was able again to up his pace in the 2nd part of the last game.

But surely being the one who played the most number of matches compared to Chen Long has to make a difference.

Without that fatigue, at least Momota would make a few mistakes less and retrieve at least a few more shuttles. I'm saying 'at least' so that this argument can remain reasonable to non-Momota fans as well.

Saru, BeeKi and thyrif like this.
  14. kurako

kurako Regular Member

That was an absolutely gripping match!! And it is going to boost Momota's confidence no end that he was able to come from behind to take G3 in a match that ended up 1 hour and 37 minutes long. I don't know if he'll have any energy left to take on Chou Tien Chen tomorrow, but Momota going to be pleased with his performance today. A superb performance from both players. :)

BeeKi and ratul_kai like this.
  15. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

I think he'll manage to take on CTC tomorrow even if CTC has had an easy semi. I think Chen Long is naturally a tougher opponent for Momota than Chou.

What I really appreciated from his performance is the way he upped his pace in the last portion and started to unleash the power smashes.

We've also seen him tried to use the very very tight net shots again after a long time. But it seems rusty (maybe because of fatigue or he didn't use it enough in matches or Chen Long's pressure).

Two criticisms still remain from me.

1. Cross smashes or half cross smashes (watch his very 1st match against Lin Dan - he was making rain out these shots.

2. His accurate low power smashes during the match except the last part in the 3rd game, are not threatening enough for players like Chen Long or Ginting. We'll see how it works against Chou.

16. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Why? What makes you said that?

17. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Because Chen Long can match Momota's basic game more easily than Chou can. Both Chen Long and Momota are masters of these neutralising shots. And Chen Long can sustain long rallies better than Chou.

However, Chou too can make Momota suffer because of this variations, good smashes and net shots. But I think Momota can do it mainly because he will want to win it, see his quote:

I need to improve my way of handling that type of game. And, while the schedule of the upcoming Fuzhou China Open and Hong Kong Open is tight and is going to be tough, trying my best there will become my strength. - Momota

And he is better in handling Finals than Chou.

Of course that's what I think. I'll probably be wrong tomorrow :)

Saru, BeeKi, kurako and 1 other person like this.
  18. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i took it to mean 'so far in this match momota doesn't appear to be any more tired than chen long. they both look fit.' i completely agreed with morten's observation. it didn't appear to me momota was laboring on defensive lunges, nor was he slow to cover all 4 corners within the longest rallies.
    it does, but there are peaks and valleys no matter which direction your career is heading.

kurako likes this.
  19. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    confidence is when you engage in a multiple re-drop net exchange late in a match despite making numerous net drop errors throughout the match you'd normally make with your eyes closed. :D

Quentin11 and kurako like this.
  20. super-g

super-g Regular Member

Really surprised to see Momota winning. Against Lin Dan he looked so tired, and that was first match after one week rest. Now he was playing much better and I assume he played something similar against Son Wan Ho as well. Where does he get that energy from?

I agree that Chen Long plays like robot so it's easy for Momota to anticipate his game, even if Momota's game level has dropped a lot since Thomas Cup where in my opinion he played his best matches of the year. During Thomas Cup CTC took one game from in-form Momota, so I think he has good chance tomorrow. Really depends what kind of Momota shows up tomorrow, performance like today and he has good chance. Playing like he did against Lin Dan and he will lose. Also CTC has played so many matches this year that he can't be very fresh either.