Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Kento Momota (桃田賢斗)

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by zimmerman, Nov 12, 2012.

1. kurako

kurako Regular Member

The H2H is 8-3 in Momota's favour, and he's won their last four encounters. He probably feels that he has solved the Ginting problem.

Actually, I am not sure, but when he mentions rivals, Momota may mean rivals for the WR 1 spot, rather than players he personally encounters problems with. Here, Shi Yuqi is the most visible threat, Axelsen has the tools, and Christie, the potential. ... I am not sure about Kidambi.

Quentin11 likes this.
  2. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Kidambi has great coach (the Korean). As I observe, this man (the coach) gave Kidambi a tactic that can make Momota feel hard. Sorry I cannot tell more detail.

However, Shi Yuqi and Christie will be truly rivals to Momota, I think.

3. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

H2H is even worse against Axelsen than against Ginting. Not to mention how those matches against Axelsen had ended.

And Ginting has none of those qualities? I don't think so. And to put Christie in and to leave Ginting out o_O
    Maybe he thought Ginting would always be kind to him for giving free points in critical time so Ginting is no longer viewed as a rival but a buddy?

Saru, LenaicM and kurako like this.
  4. kurako

kurako Regular Member

I know that the H2H against Axelsen is ridiculous; it is probably a case of, "if Axelsen is ever able to keep those mental fragments together, then he might possibly pose a threat". Shi Yuqi, Axelsen, and Christie have the physicality to create problems for Momota; Ginting doesn't.

But as I said, it is not necessarily a case of personal comparison and rivalry; Momota may be referring to "rivals for the top spot". Although Axelsen may not be able to win against Momota, he is very capable of beating other top players.

kris12997 likes this.
  5. huynhvinhthang

huynhvinhthang Regular Member

I think you guys read too much into this. The guy actually try to be polite and try to give content for the inteviewer. He doesn't disrespect anyone and he wasn't trying to give a perfect and exhaustive answer. The point is: Momota is still motivated and humble enough to know many people have the aptitude to beat him. He is also optimistic that his game is still growing and there are aspects he can improve.
    Note, whenever interviewer ask him about his weakness, he almost always says attacking. He gives answers but may not be a complete analysis of his game.

visor and Cunning Linguist like this.
  6. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

We know that. It was only a joke on Ginting:D Don't take it too seriously.

Just found it odd because Ginting is also in top 10 around his age beside SYQ, VA, SK and JC. He didn't even mention his compatriot Nishimoto either :p

7. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Or maybe it is a mind game to Ginting XD

8. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Lee Chong Wei announced his retirement today, which makes Momota the last person to have played against (and to have defeated) him at a major tournament, ... at the SF of the Indonesia Open 2018. Sharing the stage at LCW's "final performance" will undoubtedly mean a lot to Momota.

visor likes this.
  9. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Like the way that Ginting cannot say Christie is one of my main opponents or Lin Dan cannot say something like this to Chen Long.

10. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I don't think it's the same way. :eek:

At least Ginting and Christie are like best buddies off court. They are almost inseparable, some say. But they always see each other as the greatest rivals on court. :D

11. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

More like the way Lebron James doesn't feel the need to say this about JaVale McGee or Novak Djokovic doesn't say it about Sam Querrey.:)

kurako likes this.
  12. kurako

kurako Regular Member

upload_2019-6-13_20-33-49.png

I find the retirement of my great senior, Lee Chong Wei,
    to be a little regretful. The impressions he left with me;
    there were so many positive lessons from the matches I played with him.

From now on, I, too, will try hard every day in order to
    draw close to you. Thank you so much for your hard work.

Saru, B-J-R, jyeung and 5 others like this.
  13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

This statement of Momota's - World rankings and point differences are readily discernible and easily understood indicators, but they do not correctly reflect differences in ability - is most telling and worth noting. I fully concur with it and has always held that view.

I commend Momota for being such a realist.

However, a bit surprised he didn't mention Anthony Ginting as one of his major threats, given that he has an overwhelming advantage over both Viktor Axelsen and Kidambi Srikanth, psychologically as well.

It's understandable he picked Shi Yuqi first, assuming the order he listed them was intentional considering he also "expects to come up against Shi Yuqi on the big stage quite often".

Well, since he included VA, JC and KS, I should think it not far-fetched to include Chen Long as well besides AG , of course. Just saying.

14. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

I do feel that Momota is correct when he identified VA as a player to look out for. VA has great abilities and has proven that he can win Ginting, J Christie, Chen Long, KS, Shi Yuqi, CTC. Even though VA keeps losing to Momota it is a very wise thing for Momota to prepare himself well against a player like VA. VA is a very capable player who has power, stamina, speed, skills, tall physically and intelligence. VA is an extraordinary player and that is why his instinct tells him that Momota's playing style is most dangerous to him. Unconsciously, an extraodinary player can "sniff out" another extraordinary player. I think Lee Chong Wei also "sniffs out" that the future might belong to players like VA or Momota. It is almost like when a lion meets another lion, they immediately sensed each other's strength without saying much. But when a young Hyena meets a Lion, he might think he is almost as strong as the lion and does not sense how powerful the lion really is if the lion is up to its form. I wouldn't be surprised if VA can climb in rankings although I am a fan of Momota. I will always support Momota on his journey to try and make history..

#5234 Pcyl, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  15. Cunning Linguist

Hats off to you, Justin.
    At first I thought this was yet another attempt to discredit a non Chinese player in a lot of superficially polite words. You know, your usual stuff.
    But then it dawned on me. You want to pay your respects. I appreciate that a lot and hope you don't mind me adding a few more numbers for perspective.

Momota: 11k points on average over 10 tournaments.
    • 13 finals for 9 titles in total.
    • Titles: World Championship, 2 1000 titles, 3 750 titles, 1 500 title. +1 AC and 1 300 event (which both aren't counted).
    • Finals: 3 1000 finals (lumped in SC for readability), 1 500 final

Shi Yuqi: 9k points on average
    • 6 finals for 3 titles in total.
    • Titles: 2 1000 events, 1 300 event.
    • Finals:1 WC final, 1 750 final, 1 500 final.

Viktor Axelsen: 8k points on average
    • 4 finals for 2 titles
    • Titles: 1 500 event (as #1 seed), 1 300 event
    • Finals: 2 1000 events

In short, Momota reached more than twice as many finals than #2 SYQ and won three times as many titles. He reached three times as many finals as #3 Axelsen and won over four times as many titles as the Dane.
    So, you are completely correct: WR points do not at all reflect ability correctly in MS at the moment. Momota is much further ahead of his opponents than the numbers suggest. Thank you for pointing that out.

I commend Momota for being such a humble person.

Saru and Quentin11 like this.
  16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

As expected, a veiled attempt at ad hominem argument - what " discredit a non Chinese player...your usual stuff - followed by a nuanced reply , which is best directed at Momota himself (you can get someone to translate into Japanese for him). I'm sure he'd appreciate your point.

For me, if I may add, being a realist helps one to address the issue correctly and enables one to work on improving the problems or shortcomings appropriately. Momota is an intelligent, thinking player, he will go far , still the player to beat for everyone, no doubt.

17. Cunning Linguist

You wound me, Justin. I explicitly commended you for your assessment of the situation at hand, namely the WR's shortcomings in adequately displaying KM's dominance over his competition. I don't think it was a particularly necessary issue to mention, but you obviously saw the need and spoke up for Momota. Well done!

18. Svyat

Svyat Regular Member

Software Developer
    Today he played against Tsuneyama. I guess it was interclub or something. It was not a difficult game but still smash in KM's backhand area hearts him.

19. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Momota is a bit cautious about his opponent reading his weakness.

Am sure tokyo crowd will give him a big support. ;)

20. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

@Svyat I think it was the business tournament or something. Kurako will certainly know more.

@extremenanopowe Yeah I hope the Tokyo crowd will give him a huge support because it certainly makes a lot of difference and I can't wait for it.