Kento Momota (桃田賢斗)

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by zimmerman, Nov 12, 2012.

1. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    re. morten's comment about asg having a higher peak...

assessing somebody's peak is merely projecting their potential. it is not claiming who is the better player at this moment. the better/best player right now is determined and proven by recent results. so, morten is not wrong right now and can only be proven wrong by time.

it's a given they both have incredible technical & racket skills but neither is dominating the other based on those alone.

asg is a little quicker than momota, until he runs out of gas.
    asg is more explosive, until he runs out of gas.
    asg has more power, until he runs out of gas
    asg is fractionally better at net play, until he runs out of gas.

if/when asg grows a bigger gas tank and improves his consistency morten may be proven correct.

my current breakdown of this rivalry is it's momota's nerves vs. asg's gas tank.
    h2h is 11-4 momota: 3-4 in two gamers, 8-0 in rubbers.

momota's nerves are dominating asg's gas tank. there's your difference.

2. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

@mistable
    That running analogy is great and completely on point.
    In the end, this "peak" stuff is just Morten Frost's newest shtick to discredit Momota. He can't do it based on numbers and results, so he brings his unverifiable opinions into the mix. Unlike certain other people we know, at least he's getting paid for it.

Svyat likes this.
  3. Cunning Linguist

What if Momota, Shi Yuqi, Axelsen, Antonsen, Christie were playing more explosive, fast, powerful "until they run out of gas"? I'm absolutely sure every top singles player could up tempo, power and speed for certain amounts of time, thus exhibiting what you say is "higher potential". They don't do it, because they know they have to strike the right balance between winning points and consuming energy. Each of the players mentioned has won 1 or more titles this year. Except Ginting.

As for power - Momota's highest recorded smash speed is 417kph (this tournament 413kph was shown). What's Ginting's?
    Net play is just opinion, imo. In several matches, Momota has been better at the net than Ginting.

Of the four 2 game matches, one was in 2015 when KM had just turned 20 and Ginting 18. Compare to 20 and 18 year old male players now and ask yourself if you can deduct anything credible from those early matches regarding ASG's and KM's physical capabilities.

Another of the two game matches was FO 19, which was the game between the two that was most governed by "gas tank" issues. Ginting won because of a "gas tank": Momota's empty one after the Denmark Open win.

At the China Open 18 Momota was up 19-14 in the first and 16-12 in the second. I guess in those instances it's just Ginting's "peak", and not Momota's nerves, right? ;)

The most one-sided match between the two was Momota smashing Ginting off the court with 21-9, 21-10 with outstanding attacking play in Indonesia this year. I didn't hear a word a word about "peaks" from MF then. I wonder why.

Svyat, kurako, Pcyl and 1 other person like this.
  4. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i can even say you have a higher potential. doesn't mean it will ever happen.

or will it? :D:D:D:D:D

Cunning Linguist likes this.
  5. Cunning Linguist

Exactly my point.

The only person still believing in my potential is my mom. :D

6. konak

konak Regular Member

To test the gas tank hypothesis, how about we hold a 10 minute competition per game, 2 games each match between top players, and see who gets the most scores. Like football, you know, but only 10 minutes per game.

7. huynhvinhthang

huynhvinhthang Regular Member

Wow Momota is so humble. He attributed his victory to the fact that his opponent was tired, rather than his skill. He ended up with the "winning side" against the drift. Both has "won" playing on that side from previous games and Ginting gets 12-5 from that side in the 3rd game. Momota capitalizes better and got 16-2.

Basically the drift plays a bigger part in Momota vs Ginting because: when hitting with the drift, Momota is forced to attack rather than using pinpoint placement to control the opponent. For Ginting he does the attacking play well both sides but if Momota can't dictate the rally or push him far back, his smashes are extra sting. When hitting against the drift, Momota is able to play his game and handle the attacks from Ginting. Momota himself admits that he was super tired too.

Gacon1234star likes this.
  8. tepokbulu

tepokbulu Regular Member

Anthony Sinisuka Ginting had to go home in runner-up status at the 2019 Guangzhou BWF World Tour Finals after accepting defeat to Japanese men's singles, Kento Momota with a score of 21-17, 17-21 and 14-21 at the match which took place at Tianhe Gymnasium, China, Sunday (12/15).

"Praise God, even though the results have not been won, but I am still grateful. I am grateful for everything. Today I can bring out the best skills and have tried my best. Surely there is a little feeling sad because it can not close the end of this year properly. I always lose this year's finals. But this is a valuable lesson for me going forward, "Anthony Sinisuka Ginting told badmintonindonesia.org.

"Earlier in the third game I also tried my best and tried not to focus on feeling pain in the legs. My right toe was chafed, actually it's been a long time. At the beginning of the match I did not want to be too focused at this pain, but after a long time it hurt too. So that was enough to also influence the game in the third game, "he added.

Anthony further said that the duel with Momota today was even tighter than the previous meeting at the 2019 French Open BWF World Tour Super 750 championship last October. "During the previous meeting, he might not be in prime condition. But today he played well. I also played well, so we both played well, "he said.

"And it must be admitted, in the third game that Momota can better control the rhythm of the game. As many people know, Momota is a strong player and he has a tight defense. He is also not easy to make mistakes on his own. But I am quite satisfied because at least I have tried my best, "concluded Anthony.

Meanwhile, despite winning the match and winning the men's singles title at the 2019 Guangzhou BWF World Tour Finals, Kento Momota still praised Anthony's performance this time. According to Momota, Anthony always gets better in each of their meetings.

"Ginting continues and continues to get better. Likewise with today, he played very well. I saw something different from him. After this champion, there are still subsequent tournaments. And of course I have to be ready for the next match, especially if I have to meet Ginting again, "explained Kento Momota. (*)

https://badmintonindonesia.org/app/information/newsDetail.aspx?/8847

thyrif, BeeKi and jyeung like this.
  9. kurako

kurako Regular Member

The fact that Momota perceived a difference in Ginting's game means that he is going to work on a counter-measure. It's the analysis that he makes of his opponents strengths and weaknesses that can prove so deadly for them.

Pcyl, BeeKi and fnd80 like this.
  10. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

About peak ... I have two things to say:

1. I agree with Frost that the Momota we have seen during the whole year on average has a lower peak than Ginting. Ginting's footwork to the back court especially for jump smash is faster than any other player. Not only footwork but the explosiveness and the compact and quick swing of his racket. Momota on the other hand is slower to the jump smash and has a larger swing of his racket which gives the opponent slightly more time to read his smashes despite dem smashes being 413 and 417 kph. So yes in terms of setting up the net, forcing a short lift and jump smashing that lift ... Ginting has a higher peak than Momota I agree.

2. The reason I said Momota we have seen during the year as a whole on average is simply because Momota is winning during the whole meaning he is playing much more matches. Therefore, he almost cannot reach his genuine peak condition any time in the year. He is playing all the time.

Then comes what Steen had said when Momota came back. He was interested to see what could Momota do playing at 80% or lower. The reason he said that was to explain that is that doing well when when not 100% is the recipe for winning many tournaments. And this is exactly what Momota is doing. He is winning being at (to be modest) 90% or lower.

Therefore, Ginting has had opportunities getting to 100% because he got eliminated earlier or did not participate in a few tournaments. But Momota was in almost all tournaments and was playing at 90%. Yes Ginting 100% does have a higher peak than Momota 90%. But that also means Momota has 10% which he could tap in just by participating in less tournaments. Then he could go an extra gear if he adopted a strategy to play as fast as he can in a match that even the large swing would not be much of a concern especially if he adds body rotation deception.

BeeKi, rhoder, fnd80 and 2 others like this.
  11. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Personally, I would like to have @Morten Frost Hansen himself define what having a higher "peak" actually means. As far as I see it, the idea itself seems skewered towards primarily "attacking" rather than "defensive" players; how is defence evaluated here? Moreover, the idea tends to largely ignore game development and mental strength during the span of a match, for example, the ability to control the flow of the match, and even turn it around. Ginting may be able to show that he has a wonderful tool-box, but this hasn't won him any tournaments this year. ... All-in-all, it seems like a one-dimensional take on the game.

Basically, with regard to this "highest peak" argument, I think it comes down to a personal preference for certain playing styles, and not much more.

Cunning Linguist, Pcyl and KhoaHa like this.
  12. tepokbulu

tepokbulu Regular Member

came back cause ginting hurt his leg
    what if ginting did not?
    could momota come back?

13. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

I think Momota enjoys playing with Ginting.
    Momota can help Ginting inprove and
    Ginitng can help Momota improve.

As for me, even though there are many other good players like CTC, CL, AG, VA, I have been getting more and more impressed with Momota than with any other players.

BeeKi, fnd80 and kurako like this.
  14. Svyat

Svyat Regular Member

Software Developer
    I'd rather ask if someone remember KM ever said that he hert something during a game and made it as an excuse of his poor performance?

15. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Below is my liberal translation of Momota's post-victory comments to the mass media at a press conference held upon his arrival today at Narita Airport, as edited by Badminton Spirit at https://www.badspi.jp/201912162030/ <Japanese>.

It was a hard schedule in that I played in a domestic tournament just before the Tour Finals. As such, being able to come through five matches victorious, in a tournament in which the world's top eight players were participating, has given me a lot of confidence. With regard to breaking the record by winning eleven tournaments in one year: I don't intend to be satisfied with this result and will continue to do my best.

Until now, I have had trouble coping with drifty halls. This time, however, I came to understand how to play with, and against, the drift in such an environment, and I also felt that my speed has picked up.

Every time I play against Ginting, I often find myself under constant attack. This time, as I, too, was able to raise the speed of my game to a certain extent, the flow of the match was not controlled by him that much, and I was able to observe my opponent with more composure.

It's not a case of continuously raising my speed, though; recently, I have become a little more able to pick up speed as a tactic when going for points. However, even in the Final, there were instances of my smashes landing out when I upped my tempo, and I feel that my accuracy still suffers when I raise the pace.

As I am fairly confident of my defence, I am going to continue to pursue 'attack' as my theme in 2020. If asked to express this theme in one character, then it is 攻 [kō/semeru (attack)]. I have been able to maintain my position as World No. 1 for over one year, but a time will definitely come when I am no longer able to win. When that time arrives, so as not shrink back and play a conservative game, I want to have confidence in being able to go on the attack. I want to be able to go full out.

I have been able to feel my development this year. Although I came to be ranked No. 1, the image I held of a World No. 1 was far removed from what I felt I was. There was a time when I lost confidence in myself but, in struggling through this and getting down to training, I was able to produce results. Now I'm able to play with self-assurance.

The Tokyo Olympics are getting closer, but the race goes on. I don't intend to look ahead, but instead will try my best to do what I can, little by little.

---------- :):)

LneooenL, visor, mistable and 13 others like this.
  16. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Thank you for all your hard work translating his comments so often, Kurako!

garra, BeeKi, fnd80 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

I wonder which language they are talking?

Seems that Momo-chan asked him about his foot?

18. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Most likely, English.

Momota will be able to speak some, although he is reluctant to use it in front of a camera.

CLELY and Quentin11 like this.
  19. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Is that the standard for japanese in general? I only know from anime that they should know a little but just shy to speak.

20. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Svyat likes this.