Kento Momota (桃田賢斗)

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by zimmerman, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Gacon1234star

Gacon1234star Regular Member

i agree with you about Kanta is the reason, i think better choice for him is withdrawn from Malaysia and take part in Indonesia, he could has more time to rest when opponents are tired

2. BeeKi

BeeKi Regular Member

I think he wants to meet his idol "LCW" :D:D

visor and Gacon1234star like this.
  3. Gacon1234star

Gacon1234star Regular Member

So anyone has information that LCW will appear in final day like last year Malaysia Open

4. huynhvinhthang

huynhvinhthang Regular Member

Ok, LCW won some tournaments in 2010 that is not available to other top players like the Commonwealth Game, why All Japan Championship isn't counted as the 12th for Momota? It is more solid of a tournament than a level 300 event. The trophy is probably bigger than any other tournaments, trophy size matters.

5. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    anyone can count it for their own purposes but it's not a bwf tournament, which is what the conversations here center around.
    actually it's not. yes, japan has some of the best players at the top of each event, but it gets thin pretty quick when you look at the level of a 32 entry draw.

how good do you think the 10th thru 32nd ranked japanese nat'l players in each event are? they are not even on japans b team which play in wt 300, wt 100, int'l challenge & int'l series levels...and those b team players are not exactly dominating at those lower level int'l tournaments.
    as does prize money! heh heh...

6. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

enjoyed watching Momota play these 2 days.
    When playing with Huang Yu Jiang, Momota demonstrated deadly attacks but when playing with Lee Ji Jia, Momota appeared so gentle but made Lee Ji Jia twist and turn all over the court. Momota himself demonstrated that he is very good at twisting and turning all over the court. In fact he appears to enjoy this kind of game. Tomorrow match will be interesting Momota vs Viktor Axelsen. Both are my favorite players. I am sure Momota will enjoy a good challenge. he will enjoy pushing mental, speed, skills and endurance to the limit. Congratulation to Momota for reaching the finals again!

CLELY, BeeKi and kurako like this.
  7. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Of course players ranked between 10 and 32 in the domestic rankings are going to find it difficult to be selected for Japan's National B Team. Regulations pertaining to the criteria for selecting national team members are extremely restrictive when it comes to team member numbers. Just taking the MS category as an example, Team A is limited to 4 players , and Team B to 6. That makes a total of, yes ...10.

And, as participation in international tournaments is largely limited to national team members, Japanese players are inevitably spread very thinly. As far as Team B is concerned, the top two players will be entered for WT300 and WT100 tournaments, with the other four generally being restricted to IC and IS series. Furthermore, the bottom four players will only be entered for 7 or so international tournaments per year in total, which hardly helps in terms of accumulating ranking points or exposure to international players.

In short, the problem is not a lack of talent, but a rather rigid system, which is orientated far more to national stage than to BWF tournaments. Indeed, in an inward-looking country such as this, winning the All Japan Championships is what players dream about.

As for Japanese National Team B members not 'exactly dominating' IC and IS level tournaments, ... as mentioned above, the number of team members, as well as the number of tournaments they are entered for have a serious impact on overall results. Having said that, the bottom half of Team B 2020 isn't doing too badly in the Estonia IS that's currently being held. Check it out.

Saru, BeeKi, Pcyl and 1 other person like this.
  8. kurako

kurako Regular Member

To me, Momota hasn't look particularly engaged this week, with the exception of G3 in yesterday's match against Huang. He will probably go for the win tomorrow, as he is Japan's only remaining chance to secure a victory anywhere, ... but he does seem a tad too subdued. All the more so, because his 2020 resolution is to play more aggressively.

From the perspective of the 2020 Olympics, Team Japan's performance at the Malaysia Masters has been fairly demoralising. I hope that next week proves brighter.

trizzforce, Pcyl and huynhvinhthang like this.
  9. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

I think in recent tournaments, he's been playing the short corners more aggressively when he's on the front court himself.
    (If you remember the match against LD at the Japan Open '18, those slightly disguised cross drops to Momota's forehand side were the only shots with which LD could put pressure on KM).
    He's doing that more often now than just playing "neutralising shots", as Steen has called them.

In today's match, Kento only played two fewer winners than LZJ (14-16), but not only came LZJ's winners mostly after being well down in game three, in terms of forced erros, Kento led by 11-5 by my counts. If you regard forced errors (shots that put so much pressure on the opponent that an error can't be called "unforced") as attacking play and combine them with the winners, it was actually KM who could be considered the more attacking player of the match.

Imo, Kento not only plays deceptively many winners himself (LZJ, AA, VA, ASG CTC might look more spectacular), he is almost always leading in forcing errors from opponents through constant pressure.
    For the WTF Final I had the winners 18-27 in favour of AG, the unforced errors 17-20 in favour of Momota (surprisingly little difference) but Momota forced a whopping 21 errors out of Ginting, while the other way around it was just 9.
    Still, most people would subscribe to Ginting being the "attacking" player in the match. I think controlling the rallies and gradually increasing the pressure with precise shot after precise shot until the opponent can't help but make mistakes is very much attacking play.

I don't even know why I'm typing all this, I just wanted to say he's playing more cross drops to put pressure on the opponent. :D

LneooenL, Pcyl, Gacon1234star and 5 others like this.
  10. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i understand your points and i need to clarify what i mean by 'dominating'... it doesn't really matter how many japanese players are entering those tournaments, but more of who is actually winning or at least making the finals. if japanese players were making the finals of each event w/ only 1 entry in each event more often than not, they would be seen as dominating. but they are not. wt 100/ic/is levels are basically training ground tournaments and if you're not winning a high % of the ones you enter can you be seen as a consistent wt 300 level player? remember, this is the b team we're talking about and the all japan consists of a, b, c, & d level players. this is why the caliber of play, taken as a whole, is not up to a wt 300 level.

11. BeeKi

BeeKi Regular Member

Today, we'll know. :):) Want to see him and LCW moment.

12. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Today's match is gonna be lit! Can't wait!!!

13. huynhvinhthang

I don't have the stats, but I think most 300 event winners will not have a chance in All Japan Championship. A tournament only need 4 strong contenders to be difficult to win. I remember Takahata and her partner won almost all 300 events in a year and they are not even team A that year.

Gacon1234star likes this.
  14. kurako

kurako Regular Member

I suppose it comes down to how one defines 'aggressive'? I am not saying that Momota is not playing well; it is just that he is far from exuberant. Not only is he refraining from smashing; there is very little in the way of celebrations or pumped fists.

This morning, I watched Momota's post-match interview as shown by the JSports official twitter site. Here, he underscored that in view of his subpar physical condition, he decided to avoid using the whole court, as this would favour his opponent's strong offence. Instead, he purposefully took the game to the front court and concentrated on net-play. He felt that he would be better at coping with pushes rather than smashes. This could also explain the cross drops.

We may see a repetition of this strategy today.

15. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

The camera shot Lee Chong Wei sat on spectator's seat to watch Lee ZJ versus Momota yesterday ;)

Gacon1234star and BeeKi like this.
  16. kurako

kurako Regular Member

I understand this, ... but the reason why they are not making more finals is because there are far too few entries in the first place. This applies not only to the number of players, but also the small number of tournaments that the chosen few are actually entered for. If there were more entries, a larger proportion of players would probably find themselves advancing to the latter stages of tournaments, and there may well be more finals, is what I am trying to say, ... but this is all hypothetical, I know.

I certainly would not equate the All Japan Championships with a 300 level tournament. You are right in your assessment that the calibre of players in the former is more broad-ranging. Having said that, @huynhvinhthang is also correct in his assessment that 300 level players would generally stand little chance of winning the All Japan Championships, simply because the A Team would take them down. The fact that the A Team features renders it an extremely difficult competition to win for all involved.

huynhvinhthang and Pcyl like this.
  17. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

Congratulations to Momota for another great Win! I had to watch a replay because I was busy. I did find time to make a quick check the score line and at that time it was Viktor 9 Momota 2. But by the time I was free to watch the replay, Momota had already won the match. The first game was pretty close and could have gone either way.

Hope to get some reflections from Momota's interviews. Hope Momota's ankle is OK.

BeeKi and KhoaHa like this.
  18. Head Heavy

Head Heavy Regular Member

I'm happy for the victory, but it was obvious he was not in the best shape
    this week: this ankle in the finals made me cringe, let's hope there's no
    serious injury before Tokyo 2020!

Interesting words from LZJ after the semi-finals:
    “It looked so simple and effortless for him, he was really enjoying the match,
    He wasn’t even seriously playing at all. I felt humiliated.
    The gap between us is so obvious. It’s not only a thing or two that I have to catch up, there are just way too many."

“Even the rest of the top 10 players in the world are finding it hard to take a game off him. It does not matter whether one wants to play long rallies with him, 100 or 200 shots, he’s game for it.” :p

CLELY, BeeKi, Giga01 and 4 others like this.
  19. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

@kurako

I think we were both right. Lots of cross drops that increased speed, but also zombie-mode. He really didn't celebrate anything, just soldiered on.

For posterity, Steen's comments regarding the Olympics:

"I really look forward to the Olympics, because I'm looking forward to what edition of Momota we're going to see.
    I think we're going to see a Momota that can be compared to [...] I think we're going to see a Momota that can be compared to the 2008 Lin Dan and the 2016 Carolina Marin - a player who plays significantly faster than everyone else.

Something that we really haven't seen yet on the tour. I think he's played a lot of tournaments, he had to work really hard to get back to the top of the world ranking and gain access to the tournaments, he's played an awful lot. So I think when he gets this little break and is fine-tuned to the Olympics, then we're going to see a version of Momota that we haven't seen yet. That's going to be scary."

thyrif, KhoaHa, BeeKi and 3 others like this.
  20. huynhvinhthang

I agree with most assessments, but I think if the 2nd game were played as well as the 1st, this zombie Momota vs Axelsen would be at classic match level. How much of Axelsen failing and how much better Momota plays against the drift made the difference in score is difficult to say. While physically subpar, I think the shot quality is super.

kurako likes this.