Kento Momota (桃田賢斗)

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by zimmerman, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Svyat

Svyat Regular Member

Software Developer
    I suppose that this is not a question of benefits. For KM this surely might be a matter of honor. They supported him in darkest period of his life and now he will keep his loyalty to this organization.

buibui2, kurako, Saru and 3 others like this.
  2. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Language teacher & graduate student in linguistics
    That's why I admire N. Okuhara for being able to break the social rules/norms/ pressure of the country (especially for a woman because let's face it Japan isn't really there - not at all - when it comes down to gender parity).

In short social norms and unwritten rules of the Japanese society are at stake here. I guess KM is no different and will probably remain faithful to his employer until his retirement and probably after! And I'm not talking about his badminton career. That would be perceived like a betrayal if he were to quit NTT East, especially given his former situation when NTT East supported him by not firing him after the gambling "scandal" a few years back. Because they could (should?) have done that to avoid criticism.

buibui2, rhoder, Saru and 5 others like this.
  3. kurako

kurako Regular Member

That question probably merits an essay. :) I will try to spare you from one, but....

I imagine the structural dynamics and organisation of badminton, and actually sport in general, to differ from country to country. In Japan, the foundation is largely domestic, and is based on corporate badminton teams. These offer a dependable training environment, support (even in times of illness and injury) and, importantly, a regular salary, which helps if you are not at the pinnacle of the game. Moreover, the larger corporations, such as NTT-East, and maybe also Hitachi and Mitsubishi offer permanent employment after players retire from competitive support, be it coaching or a generalist post.

Momota Kento, of course, is at the top of the game and, therefore, could conceivably go it alone. But there are a few factors that suggest otherwise:
    1. The sponsoring of individual athletes has not gained ground in Japan, is not particularly developed, and therefore not necessarily in the interests of the individual athlete. Okuhara, for example, is sponsored by Taiyo Holdings, ... but has that improved her public image, presence, or performance??? And, ironically, she continues to be reliant on a corporate team, NTT-East, both for coaching and training facilities.
    2. Leaving NTT-East would go against Momota's sense of honour. After all, the company supported him even when he was a liability to them. NTT is a huge telecommunications corporation that offers services to the Government, companies, and millions of individuals. Momota's scandal will have proved very costly in terms of public image ( ... luckily the critics made do with Tago's head), and he is only too well aware of how much trouble he caused. He will stay as long as the company wishes him to.
    3. But, in any case, Momota is a real 'team player'; he takes an interest in helping to train team members, and genuinely enjoys contributing to his team in domestic events, especially the S/J League. I have watched Momota play live eight times or so, and he looks the most animated and relaxed when he cheers on his NTT-East team-mates.
    4. Having said that, Momota certainly is not your typical corporate team member. He really surprised me last year when he signed up with UDN, a sports management company that caters largely to football players and track and field athletes. The company has assisted him with publicity, given him avenues to reach out to the general public, especially children, and offers expertise on diet, physical therapy, etc, including the use of a personal trainer. Momota is the first badminton player to move in this direction; moreover, he has thereby crossed the boundaries of his own sport. This 'hybrid' move was innovative and, as far as I am concerned, much savvier than Okuhara's attempt to go 'pro'.

Momota is loyal, clever and perfectly attuned to his environment. Quite frankly, I do not see any benefits to be had in leaving NTT-East. :)

buibui2, Saru, aZn_Popcorn and 17 others like this.
  4. CzechKronner

CzechKronner Regular Member

Thank you very much for sharing. One of the best posts I've read here. :)

5. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

I like great sports people or entertainers such as good singers or actors to earn well and be secure but recently I don't think I like the idea of them earning crazy obscene much. Because I like them to someone who loves what they do not for the money. I like them to play well , sing well, act well even if they are not receiving anything.

This is why I like the Japan's model than the western model when it comes to rewarding entertainers and sports people. They should be admired for who they are - entertainers and good sports people. They don't need to become over worshiped as people who are so financially successful that our young children imagine these successful people cannot be wrong about any other things in the World.

I like Momota because he is very successful in badminton, a sports I think highly of. I also like him because he is humble and genuine about what he can do and what he can't do, what he knows and what he doesn't know and what he wants to get to know more about. And when he plays badminton , I can sense that he does it not for the over love of money but because he loves the sport so passionately. He has become my favorite sport's hero.

Anyway, that is just me.

#6325 Pcyl, Jan 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    buibui2, Giga01, BeeKi and 7 others like this.
  6. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Because he really loves to play badminton competitively, giving total commitment in badminton, a hardworking shuttler yet down to earth after all victories that he had achieved, not easy to complacent, sustainable effort, kudos to him!

buibui2, KhoaHa and BeeKi like this.
  7. kurako

kurako Regular Member

From the Yonex 2020 Sportswear Catalogue. I hope that we actually get to see Momota wearing these in the first half of 2020. :)

upload_2020-1-19_19-51-1.png

upload_2020-1-19_19-51-55.png

buibui2, Giga01, BeeKi and 5 others like this.
  8. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

The pink shorts though :confused::confused::confused: ... there is another color way which looks interesting!

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Haha... Now you're dismayed only because you're obliged to get them! Hmmm wonder what your mates will say?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Quentin11 likes this.
  10. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Head Coach Park Joo Bong, as well as all the players who will not compete in the Thailand Masters, returned to Japan this morning.

Nobody responded to the mass media waiting at Haneda Airport, but PJB is scheduled to join men's singles coach, Nakanishi Yosuke, later this morning to give a press conference.

Simeon, CzechKronner, CLELY and 2 others like this.
  11. Svyat

Svyat Regular Member

Software Developer
    @kurako, are we there yet?

12. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Piecing together all the fragments of information from different sources was really quite difficult, but let me summarise the press conference given by Park Joo Bong and Nakanishi Yosuke on January 20, 2020 as follows: 1) accident timeline, 2) scene of the accident, 3) hospitalisation, 4) short-term prospects. By the way, Park started off by commenting that, considering the severity of the accident, he was relieved that Momota managed to come through with relatively mild injuries.

1. Timeline (January 13)
    4:30 Momota, Hirayama (Unisys support coach), and Morimoto (Momota's personal trainer, UDN) leave the hotel for Kuala Lumpur International Airport on their way back to Japan.
    4:40-4:50 The van collides into the lorry; Momota calls to others to get out of the vehicle.
    5:00 Hirayama telephones Nakanishi, who is still at the hotel, via LINE, informing him of the accident. Nakanishi calls for an ambulance.
    5:15 Hirayama contacts the NBA through Unisys
    5:30 The three buses originally scheduled to transport the remaining Japanese delegation to the airport depart from the hotel, taking the same route as the van.
    6:00 The buses arrive at the scene of the accident. Here, only Park Joo Bong and Nakanishi alight. One ambulance and a tow truck are already at the scene, with the more seriously injured Hirayama and Morimoto being shipped to the hospital first.
    6:45 The second ambulance arrives and Momota is taken to hospital. Park and Nakanishi return to their bus and continue to the airport, where the players are dropped off. Thereafter, Park, Nakanishi, Tan Kim Her, and Kanda (trainer) head for the hospital.

January 14 Park leaves for Indonesia, leaving Nakanishi with Momota.

2. Scene of the Accident
    Park Joo Bong: Momota was sitting down at the side of the road bleeding from his face. "As soon as I saw him, I shed tears. Blood was flowing, but there wasn't even a towel around." Park covered Momota with his own jacket. Momota asked Park, "Am I alright? Can I still play badminton?", to which Park replied, "You'll be fine, just fine."

Nakanishi: "I called out to Momota asking him if he was OK, but there was no conversation to be had. He was in a state of shock. All I could do is draw close to him."

Hirayama, who had been thrown from the fourth row to the second row of the van, and Morimoto, who had suffered a fracture and lost his memory due to concussion were considered to be more seriously injured than Momota, and thus given priority in being transported to the hospital. Momota had to wait until 6:45 (i.e., two hours after the accident) until the second ambulance arrived, and during this time regained his composure. He had the wits, for example, to ask Park to retrieve his mobile phone from the van.

3. Hospitalisation (Malaysia/Japan)
    Park next saw Momota after the latter already had his stitches in place. Upon seeing him, Momota first asked, "Can I be healed?", and more jokingly, "Will I be able to return to my handsome self?" He became calmer as time progressed. By January 14, he was watching television and entering messages on LINE.

On January 15, after Momota had returned to Japan, Park sent Momota a message from Indonesia to the effect of, "Have a thorough check-up and try to recover. Let's give it one more go." To which Momota replied, "I am sorry for everything. Thank you for all you did for me. I am going try one more time."

On January 20, Momota had his stitches removed, and Park is of the opinion that he is recovering well.

4. Training/Competition
    Provided that Momota continues to made steady progress, he may join the rest of Japan's squad for the national training camp scheduled February 3 - 9 in preparation for the Badminton Asia Team Championships. This is Momota's wish, and it was conveyed to Park whilst the former was still hospitalised in Malaysia. Although Momota will not join the actual tournament, the camp is deemed beneficial for training and rehabilitation purposes. Momota is, however, keen to participate in the All England, and Park thinks that he will be able to compete.

If, for whatever reason, Momota's recovery stalls, and he is unable to fulfil his 'top player' obligations vis-à-vis tournament participation, then the NBA will attempt to negotiate with the BWF for 'protected' ranking. Although the system is currently only applied in the event of injury, and not accident, it is likely that an exception will be made.

-------------------------------- I will leave it here for now.

buibui2, lurker, CLELY and 28 others like this.
  13. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Language teacher & graduate student in linguistics
    Thanks for translating all those information! :D

buibui2, BeeKi and kurako like this.
  14. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Thank you for the informative post

BeeKi and kurako like this.
  15. Svyat

Svyat Regular Member

Software Developer
    @kurako thank you so much for all that you do here.

Don't want to be the bad guy but so many vagues without official diagnosis.. looks a bit conspirological.

BeeKi and kurako like this.
  16. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

kurako and Svyat like this.
  17. Svyat

Svyat Regular Member

Software Developer
    Thank you for this addition.

To me it sounds even more conspirological, because it looks like a half truth. From what other members discussed here previously I understood that It's almost obvious that in an incident like this you can't get away without a brain concussion which can have more severe consiquencies than say some broken bone or some damaged organ.

If it was a main concerne almost for everyone so why do not mention it and add "no brain concussion"?

18. CzechKronner

CzechKronner Regular Member

The craziest thing I see is that it took over 2 hours for the second ambulance to arrive. That's just crazy.

That said, I am very happy Kento Momota is recovering well :)

buibui2, BeeKi and kurako like this.
  19. BeeKi

BeeKi Regular Member

When I saw a new about he asked Park Joo Bong like that, it made me feel so sad. Like you said before, Momota's life = Badminton. :)

Thank you for your hard work for us here. You're the best fan ever for him. ;);)

buibui2, KhoaHa and kurako like this.
  20. kurako

kurako Regular Member

At the moment, it has got to the stage where I can't even concentrate on my job anymore. :eek::eek:

Thank you for always being here BeeKi. :)

BeeKi likes this.