Kento Momota (桃田賢斗)

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by zimmerman, Nov 12, 2012.

1. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Although Momota will not be featuring in the Badminton Asia Team Championships, the NBA, in a document published today, has included him on the list of players due to join the national training camp (February 3-9) in preparation for this particular tournament. ...This probably means that Momota's recovery is going well, and that he feels able to start training.

buibui2, Pcyl, Saru and 9 others like this.
  2. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

It's not necessary for Momota to take part BATC since this tournament isn't too important and urgent, expecting his return in All England.

BeeKi likes this.
  3. kurako

kurako Regular Member

In statements published by both the NBA and NTT-East today, it was confirmed that Momota's recovery is progressing well enough to enable him to participate in the national training camp due to commence on February 3. Although he has not engaged in any racquet practice since the accident, he has already started a light running regimen.

The statement made by Momota can be translated as follows (source: NTT-East news release at https://www.ntt-east.co.jp/release/detail/20200131_01.html):

----------

To the fans who support me, and all concerned

I have been the cause of much worry, but having spent two weeks recuperating since my discharge from hospital, I will now restart training at the national camp commencing on February 3.

As I have been away from the sport for a while, first of all, priority will be given to getting myself into good physical shape. Thereafter, little by little, I hope to set my sights on returning to competition.

In any event, I intend to do my best when training, so that I can play in front of everyone as soon as possible, thereby expressing my feeling of gratitude.

Thank you for your continued support.

[​IMG]

----------

As previously announced, Momota's comeback tournament is expected to be the All England.

Postscript: I forgot to add PJB's comment. Here it is:

I am really glad that, as originally planned, Momota is able to join the national training camp starting on February 3. Making sure not to overdo it, and whilst monitoring the state of his recovery, we will work on training, with the aim of to preparing for our target, the All England.

Thank you for your continued support for Japan's national team.

#6363 kurako, Jan 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    buibui2, fnd80, Giga01 and 12 others like this.
  4. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Thanks Kurako, that is great news.

Do you know the best way to wish him well? (don't have any social media accounts at the moment)

kurako likes this.
  5. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Yep, he looks to be on course... (fingers crossed).

If you are not using Twitter, FB, etc., you can always consider contacting NTT-East to send your wishes. The company has a message-board for well-wishers/supporters, which is accessible at: https://www.ntt-east.co.jp/cgi-bin/symbol/message/msg.cgi

The form looks like this:

upload_2020-2-1_1-27-34.png

Question 1:「あて先」→ Select the second item, 「バドミントン部」(badminton team) from the pull-down list.
    Question 2:「お名前」→ Type your name or a name that you wish to go by (maximum 20 letters).
    Question 3: 「お住まい」→ This asks you to select the prefecture in which you reside in Japan.... To can try just leaving this, or, if that does not work, just click on a random prefecture.
    Question 4: 「タイトル」→ Insert a message title here (maximum 30 letters)
    Question 5:「メッセージ」→ Write your message in this window (maximum 300 letters)

Once you have completed the above, click on the red button (confirmation).

I am not sure what will happen after this (I have never written anything to Momota, message-board, SNS, or otherwise), but if you are happy with the content, there should be a 「送信」("send") button to click. If you are not sure, send me a screen-shot; I will try to help. :)

As you will note, the message-board is entirely in Japanese; any messages from outside this country are obviously not envisaged. You can be the first!!

buibui2, Pcyl, BeeKi and 6 others like this.
  6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Great news on his recovery.

Glad to hear it's going well

7. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

8. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    #6368 samkool, Feb 2, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    Cheung, CLELY, kurako and 1 other person like this.
  9. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Yep, ... and I love the following line ...

I’m really happy to be able to participate in the training camp for the Japan national team starting on February 3 as scheduled,” Park said in a statement.

I am sure that Park is really happy to be taking part. o_O Great translation work!

10. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Finally went and sent something. I think it went through, thanks for the help!

KhoaHa, BeeKi and kurako like this.
  11. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

Uh oh, bad news: apparently Momota had to have surgery on his eye bone and will miss at least 3 months. They did say the operation was successful so that part is good. Still anything close to the eye is hard to take lightly...

Hope he fully recovers.

buibui2 likes this.
  12. visor

visor Regular Member

That's too bad.

Any sources you can link to? Considering the forces of the impact and the serious injuries in the other 3 passengers, I already suspected early on his facial injuries would be more than just simple abrasions.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

13. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

Seems like they performed the surgery immediately after he realised he couldn't see the shuttle properly (was seeing double).

"But after complaining of discomfort and double vision while playing, the fracture was discovered in an examination on Friday. The injury appears to be a result of last month's traffic accident.
    This one really took me by surprise," Japan head coach Park Joo Bong said in a statement released by Nippon Badminton Association. "We'll just have to see how it goes after surgery. I want him to prioritize his recovery without rushing it."

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...on-momota-to-miss-3-months-after-surgery.html

buibui2, Saru, Sumanth99 and 3 others like this.
  14. visor

visor Regular Member

So, how was this fracture missed from all those x-rays, CT scans, and MRI's done in Malaysia and Japan?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

15. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

buibui2 likes this.
  16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I was about to ask and found it reported in the Chinese media with the Japanese source quoted
    https://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2020-02-08/doc-iimxxste9814280.shtml.

Just wondering, how did the full-body MRI done by the Japanese hospital miss that part? Sad to read about it, at first I tended to be more optimistic as he was, fortunately, the least injured among the four survivors and without any concussions unlike the other three who might or possibly have some degree of TBI (traumatic brain injury). I even dismissed your concern that most MVA cases usually lead to unforeseen complications later as overly pessimistic, no disrespect to your professionalism as a doctor at all, just my personal feeling that anybody, in fact, the four of them, who escaped such a near disaster, almost miraculously, and with only supposedly minor injuries sustained as reportedly confirmed later, could be said to be blessed (there's a Chinese saying for it).

Does it mean for the three-month rehabilitation period, he's not able to even train properly? That would most certainly adversely affect his form when he finally returns to competition in, say, May or June, though I believe he would still be able to play the Tokyo Olympics. Sigh.

We can only wish him a speedy recovery and hope for the best.

#6376 Justin L, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I am totally mystified as well. Should be a plate and a few screws.

18. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

BWF news : https://bwfbadminton.com/news-single/2020/02/08/momota-undergoes-surgery-postpones-return/

Momota Undergoes Surgery, Postpones Return
    08 February, 2020
    TEXT BY BWF STAFF

World champion Kento Momota has postponed his return to competitive badminton following surgery for an ‘orbital floor fracture’ in his right eye.

Nippon Badminton Association said in a statement that Momota complained of discomfort in his right eye during training. He was taken to hospital and the condition diagnosed as an orbital floor fracture (fracture to the eye socket). Momota was operated upon and doctors said recovery would take three months, which is likely to rule him out of the Yonex All England, which he won last year.

Japan head coach Park Joo Bong said: “I’m surprised this time… The future will be determined based on the progress after surgery. I think it will be a matter of course, but I want to focus on recovery without impatience.”

The world No.1 had started training last Monday after being treated for a right maxillary sinus and nasal bone fracture, which he had suffered in a traffic accident in Kuala Lumpur on the morning of 13 January 2020.
    ______

buibui2 likes this.
  19. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Indeed a really bad news for badminton fans, he's expected to return on mid May (Thomas Cup?).

20. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

https://www.nst.com.my/node/563730/amp
    It's out in the mainstream media.
    Momota experienced double vision after starting practice. This news say Momota already had the surgery & discharged from hospital.