Kento Momota (桃田賢斗)

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by zimmerman, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

It feels like none of the praise here for Momota has actual evidence, that is no offence to anyone here, I am just asking, where is the evidence that he had the physical, tactical, technical, or even the "talent" (I don't believe in talent at all, but Momota flags behind some players in that department as well)and mental skills needed to be the GOAT contender that everyone makes him out to be? I don't see it. I've provided PLENTY of evidence for my point that he just isn't that special. People shouldn't be respected for their perceived "talent", they should be respected for their ability, and Momota was WAY below a lot of players in every key department of the game.

Many of the past great players were considered not as talented as some of their contemporaries, I hold someone like LCW to simply just be average talent, and CL has even less talent than that, but they made themselves GREAT through LOADS of hard work. Momota couldn't take his "great talent" and make it worth a dime in all the key departments of the game,

AGAIN: I do not hate Momota or any other player (I actually love watching Momota play, I think he has a fabulous basis game (Again players like CL outrank him in that regard comfortably) and have learned a lot from him). I am simply saying that he is nowhere near as great as people make him out to be,

#1421 Anand S, Oct 31, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  2. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Well had Momota not been given such a harsh punishment and if he is still active in the circuit right now, do you not think that he can't contend the SS titles along with Srikanth and Victor. He won 2016 India Open beating Victor. His h2h vs Victor is 6-2 and vs. Srikanth 5-3.

3. indrg

indrg Regular Member

what less talented version of Taufik? Can you really not able to spot talent?

4. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

If you look at the victories, Momota beat VA in finals (when VA was clearly way below what he is now anyway, AND he had a terrible obvious mental block, that he since overcome). Srikanth was in obvious form trouble from 2015 until the Olympics, and Momota beat him during that time. During that time, SO many players were beating Srikanth, it isnt even funny. Now, he is a real consistent winner. The current or peak Momota wouldn't hold a candle to Srikanth or Axelsen at the moment

5. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Had he not been given such harsh punishment, can't he not reaching peak like Srikanth or Axelsen at the moment?

6. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

Taufik was world number one when he was EIGHTEEN, able to beat AWESOME players like Heryanto Arbi, Hendrawan, Peter Gade, (And he was AWESOME when he was younger), he was the number one seed in the Olympics (Unfortunately lost to Ji Xinpeng in Quarters) and was WAY better physically than Momota at a younger age, so the dedication argument (My point about fitness) doesn't even work either. I may or may not be able to spot talent, but I know what great badminton looks like, and Momota never played it.

7. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

Refer to my point about his game not having anything special, like other players.

8. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

No one seems to be providing any solid evidence for Momota being so great, Everyone just keeps referring to points that I have already disproved with solid evidence. It would be awesome if someone has actual evidence about Momota being so great. He is a very good player, but isn't in the class of Srikanth, VA and indeed the three greats of the modern era LCW, LD, CL

9. indrg

indrg Regular Member

He is the only player that can beat Victor and Srikanth consistently if you are saying Srikanth and VA are now the gold standards of top players.

10. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

He beat Srikanth and Axelsen WHEN they were WAY below what they are right now, I mean Axelsen and Srikanth are heads and tails above pretty much everyone for the moment, they weren't even close to this good in 2015/2016 when Momota beat them. Again, VA had a mental block in finals (and the victories like Dubai Superseries 2015 and India 2016 were finals, where Axelsen was clearly cracking down) and Srikanth was in obvious form troubles back then, losing first or second round in pretty much every tournament. Both of them have obviously overcame that since then, and Momota, peak or current, wouldn't hold a candle to them

11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Or was he "eighteen" :D. I am also amazed you can find solid evidence Momota's game doesn't have anything special :rolleyes:. His play is extremely efficient, like Lin Dan 2.0, he barely broke a sweat against Vittinghus at the Dutch Open ... (who granted made a lot of unforced errors so he never really had to push his game). There are still a couple of gears left to move up to ...

Master likes this.
  12. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

It is solid evidence, have I not proven all my points with solid match evidence. Badminton is a very subjective thing. it's not like basketball where you can look at stats, similar stats don't exist in badminton, you can only do the eye test, and Momota clearly fails the eye test compared to all of the players I have just mentioned. Taufik was eighteen years of age and he was world number one, All England Finalist, World Championship medalist, and all of that. Momota doesn't even come close to that

13. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

All everyone has done is say I am wrong, without actually giving anything to prove it. I would love to have someone give solid evidence agains what I am saying, instead of saying what I am saying is wrong with no actual evidence to back up Momota's "Talent" or "coolness under pressure" or any of the things that people make him out to have, but he doesn't actually possess. Momota is like the ultimate example of a bandwagon to be quite honest.

14. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

I will also remind you guys, prior to that India Open Final, where he did convincingly beat a choking Axelsen, he was well on his way to losing to Xue Song in the semis, having lost the first game, and being down 6-3 in the second, before Xue Song suffered that horrible knee injury. He wasn't even the best young player

15. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Lin Dan also does not come close to that.....

16. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

On what planet does LD not far surpass Taufik in achievements. 5 is greater than one. (WC) 2 is also greater than one (OG), 0 is greater than 6 (AE). Even if you go by talent, LD was world number one when he was 20 (This would be 2004) , an all England champion (Which Taufik never was), number one seed at Olympics, and became a world championship medalist when he was 20 as well (Silver, not bronze like Taufik in 2000). He basically did the same or greater things than Taufik, just when he was 2 years older only. I don't know about you guys, but I don't consider 2 years a big difference at all

17. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

NOT VALID! Now you are saying, Momota can also achieve such feature at the later stage of his life, e.g. next year

18. Kavaris

Kavaris Regular Member

Student
    No one is saying you are wrong. But ur analysis seems over the top & biased against Momota thus less reliable imo.

Everyone knows 2017 Axelsen & Srikanth are better. But you arent giving chance for Momota to chase back the time he lost.

Evidence from the past arent accurate anymore since things changed. Pretty sure most ppl here wanna provide you evidence that Momota can stand against. But as for now, Momota have not been pushed to the limit in his recent matches. He havent met the new Axelsen, Srikanth. No one can say for sure.

Dunno how great you are to be able to deny Momota's talent in Badminton?!?

19. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

LD never went off and got involved in criminal activities, from what I hear, he lived a very well disciplined life and had far greater maturity at the same age, unlike Momota. And my point is valid, Momota is nowhere near as talented as LD, and certainly not as disciplined or hardworking, judging by them at the same age. Maybe he has changed, but this year has caused a huge gap between Momota and the current players. He simply isn't as physically, mentally or tactically sound anymore, and he wasn't even that great at those things to begin with. I never like counting people out, but this seems like one of those cases

20. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

It's not over the top against Momota, I can say a million good things about him. He has a solid fundamental base, good defence, very fast for his size, he is a REALLY GOOD player. He isn't special like the players I mentioned though, and they never had to go through a ban like that, athletes in all sports almost never come back to their peak from such a break . Momota was way better in the past than he is right now. Look at the players he has beaten.

As for my credentials, I am just a humble fan, who is confused as to why this guy get so much credit for talent he clearly doesn't possess. I just want some healthy discussion is all.