Kento Momota (new thread)

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by visor, May 12, 2020.

1. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Even if Rasmus loses tomorrow , he will be qualified as 8th. Kento momota is qualified as 6th. Loh has no chance even if he wins the tournament. Kunlavut is 7th.
    Just now calculated and posted in Tournament thread

2. Head Heavy

Head Heavy Regular Member

If both Antonsen and Gemke win tomorrow, they will overtake Momota in WTF rankings.
    And if LKY wins the whole tournament, he will also overtake Momota.

Before the Indonesia Masters, Axelsen was right behind Momota in BWF ranking:
    the gap increased a bit after the Indonesia Masters.

But if Axelsen makes it to the finals and wins the WTF while Momota is not even qualified,
    Momota's #1 ranking might be in big trouble.

3. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

1 nation, 2 tickets, just Viktor and Gemke\Antonsen

Not 3 players from a nation

4. Head Heavy

Ah... my bad.
    So Momota is indeed qualified no matter what happens.
    LKY can still make it by winning the tournament.

5. kurako

kurako Regular Member

I know I should be calculating this myself, but won't the WR No. 1 go to Axelsen anyway if he wins this Indonesia Open?

6. yuon

yuon Regular Member

I, for once, am glad that Momota lost yesterday. He's going to keep pushing himself until he gets injured like what happened at the French Open again. He needs a proper rest, and hopefully the 5 days he'll have until the WTF starts will be enough. He's not going to win this tournament with the condition he's in now, and he won't win the WTF next week either if he keeps pushing it. And then there's the World Championship. A win at the World Championship would be the best way to make up for the disappointment of the Olympics so he should make sure that he can show up to Huelva in the best condition he can, even at the expense of the WTF, imho. Players who didn't go far these couple of weeks, like Ginting, will be fresh for the World Championship, and needless to say, Momota's going to need all the juice that he will have left if these two were to meet.

Cunning Linguist, kurako and KhoaHa like this.
  7. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    As for momota, he really need to change his style of playing. Momota must win game1 if he wants to win. He is a slow starter and tires on 3rd game. Very obvious now. ;) You see this against ljz, syq, viktor and lky. ;)

Perhaps he is also another victim of complacency against lky. Just like ctc and gemke and lzj. Am sure all other players give respect to lky now. Only Viktor and AA haven't lost to LKY yet. ;) LKY speed and power is perfect. ;)

visor likes this.
  8. Head Heavy

I was wondering about that too,
    but I don't know the new calculation rules in this COVID period,
    how they select which tournaments to count.

Before this tournament, the gap between Momota and Axelsen was 112,210-109,779=2431 points

The worst counted results in Axelsen's ranking are the 7,800 points from the Malaysia Masters 2020
    and the 9,200 points from the India Open 2019.

If Axelsen wins, the 12,000 points would add either 12,000-7,800 = 4200 or 12,000-9,200 = 2800.
    So it looks like Axelsen would become the new #1.
    But if Axelsen only makes it to the finals, then we have to subtract 1800 points,
    and it seems it would not be enough either way.

9. kurako

kurako Regular Member

As far as Momota is concerned, it is a very precarious situation. Barring Christie, there are no seeds left. Axelsen is going to go all out for that "No. 1".

Incidentally, since the beginning of the Indonesia Open, reports in Japanese papers of interviews with Momota have been scarce. Badpal comments that he played the only way he could given his fatigued physical condition. Following his defeat, Momota simply commented, "I am tired". He also added, though, that he will start training for the WTF.

KhoaHa likes this.
  10. KhoaHa

KhoaHa New Member

I think the weather condition in Bali and the gymnasium plays a great part in Momota's fatigue. It is too hot and cause him sweat a lot though the court time is much less than in the Europe tournament.

11. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Totally agree. The problem is, his career management is just bad, whether it is because of his own stubbornness or team management. He can't win all tournaments, especially not in this extraordinary year, where lack of match practice, his comeback and the densest schedule ever come together.
    His #1 is gone anyway and that can't be helped. So is the Olympic medal. What's not yet gone, and what should be the focus of his and the team's preparation is the World Championship. For the life of me, I can't comprehend what they are doing. Antonsen just gave a walkover and will surely concentrate on the tournament in Spain. Ahsan/Setiawan also said that they are not sad they can't compete at the WTF, as they can now prepare for the WC.
    Why Momota - and even more so, Yamaguchi - can't do the same, is beyond me.

Michael V likes this.
  12. kurako

kurako Regular Member

You are thinking far too logically, here. It doesn't work that way in Japan. As the man himself mentioned some way back, 'I will do my best in whatever tournament I am permitted to enter for." This is not an idle platitude. Momota means it, ... and so does the rest of Team Japan.

samkool, Gacon1234star and KhoaHa like this.
  13. ductoan

ductoan New Member

I think Kento needs rest since he looked tired yesterday. Its rarely seen him in that condition before the accident.

I noticed that his smashes look less powerful than before 2016 ban. I dont know why I feel like that because of the camera view or opponents improved themselves. Nowadays his full smashes are rarely deadly for opponents like Axelsen, Chou Tien Chen, Lee zii Jia... as in the past. If he can get that powerful smash back to his strong basic game, then he will save stamina and become more unpredictable.

14. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Yes, but not All players, not Okuhara.

kurako and Cunning Linguist like this.
  15. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
  16. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Even more bananas. Quite honestly, nobody who goes into the biggest tournaments exhausted because they "hAvE tO pLAy EVerY tOurNamENt" deserves to win. It's plain stupid, and irresponsible to boot. Not every tradition or attitude is worth keeping.

Michael V likes this.
  17. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

I think there is some misunderstanding to what Kurako said.

Kurako said ... IF ... entered into a tournament, THEN Momota or other Japanese team members will try to do their best . The word, "IF" .. is conditional. It doesn't mean that they HAVE TO enter into every tournament.

I know people are worried about athletics getting fatigue and injured.

But on the other hand, there is also value in .. the experience of pushing yourself to the limit even if you lose a game. Also there is value to .. the ability to take it as a real time training and practice ... so you can keep in touch about how each of your opponent progressed. Each time you stretch yourself to your limit, you can actually make a little more progress. (For example, now, Momota knows that even when exhausted, what he can do and what he can't. He knows that ... if he wants,. ... he can somehow ... still win a game ...while playing in a very basic way (Momota's version of basic)... that uses as little energy as possible. And if he choses to challenge what he can't do... It is up to him and his own discretion).

As long as you know what you are doing ... and you practice reasonable caution to avoid injury ... while doing it.

Sent from my XQ-BT52 using Tapatalk

#877 Pcyl, Nov 26, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    Gacon1234star and KhoaHa like this.
  18. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    it's another terrible consequence of the 'team' concept bwf insists on. the power federations get to dictate when the players HAVE to play. what's a player to do?
    that depends on the stage of your career. the experienced top players don't need to grind out a do or die result. it becomes more about managing health. the up and comers obviously need to test themselves more.

based on the current system of the armies owning the soldiers the exhausted players are put into a no-win situation. thank you bwf!

#878 samkool, Nov 26, 2021
    Cunning Linguist likes this.
  19. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

After coming back from the accident, Momota sees himself as a new player starting all over. We see him as a top and experienced player. But Momota is thinking of starting from the bottom because.. he is still in the process of finding out... what extend accidents like this has affected him or haven't affected him.

We can also say that ..New players are not so experienced therefore .... In pushing themselves.. there is a greater chance of getting injured. They don't know how to push themselves ..while practicing reasonable caution to avoid injury. Like in the case of Lee Ji Jia, I'm now worried if he exerted himself too much ... because his style of raw power play .. can cause serious injury .. if not too careful. Yes, it is exciting to watch when a player rushes to any awkward im balanced position and commits 100 % of his energy to every smash. But then again, this is up to him if he knows the risk of becoming injured and he is willing to take the risk.

Sent from my XQ-BT52 using Tapatalk

#879 Pcyl, Nov 26, 2021
  20. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    you have to know he's not being 100% literal. i guess every new player can expect to wake up one morning, be #1 in the world and wipe out anders antonsen in a wt750 final. :D

unfortunately it's up to the federations to manage the players health, and it's becoming apparent some of them aren't great at it.

it bears repeating: the players are in a no-win situation due to bwf's system of allowing the federations to dictate the players career.

#880 samkool, Nov 26, 2021
    Pcyl likes this.