Kento Momota (new thread)

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by visor, May 12, 2020.

1. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

having VA flashing his Olympic medal might do the trick :D. VA won the WC before Momota won it back to back.

2. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

But he doesn't have the fire now.

That's why me signature is what it is

3. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

Looks like he has been working on his skills, footwork, defense are getting better. Time to work on stamina though. At least he knows the problem

terrynguyen121988 likes this.
  4. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

For me the biggest issue with his displays is his blind guessing on smashes both straight and cross.

I would have applauded his unsuccessful dives . That would show he is attempting to gain the match fitness.

Quentin11 likes this.
  5. Bryan Wong

Bryan Wong Regular Member

I thought the most noticeable sign of the passive approach he has to the game was repeatedly replying to Rasmus’s netplay with netplay of his own instead of attempting to pounce on the reply with a swipe.

Credit to Rasmus who was taking risks, managing to smash well despite often not being behind the shuttle properly; Momota’s reactions/conditioning and defenses are not yet able to absorb these unideal plays. Athleticism and initiative paid dividends.

Baddyforall likes this.
  6. Schultzier

Schultzier Regular Member

Guys!! Im not lying to you but look how hard all these tryhards try to beat Momota. Kento is litterally having the chillest time of his life enjoying a good game - a fair one. These people have nothing on Kento. They are ALL leagues behind. I bet they all think about how to beat him come every training. Post covid, god bless this Kento. Best one yet!

Pcyl likes this.
  7. Nine Tailed Fox

Agreed. It was so one-sided when Momota was at his peak. 21-3 WC Final, 21-5 against Axelsen in his last tournament before the accident.

Maybe he got bored at his peak and wanted more competitive matches?

Pcyl and Schultzier like this.
  8. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Either he is not being accompanied as need by his team

or

He lost the drive for it - which is also the fault of his team for not making him get back to it. Waste of talent.

Pcyl likes this.
  9. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    He should go back to do the same physical training that he did during 2018 season, he looked more muscular back then, he probably slimmed down too much thinking he will be faster/fitter but it didnt work out, insted he lost his ability to move well and lets not even talk about his smash power.

Quentin11, Pcyl and akatsuki2104 like this.
  10. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

https://sports.ndtv.com/badminton/t...dminton-ace-kento-momota-in-free-fall-3075657

Two Years After Car Crash, Badminton Ace Kento Momota In Free Fall

Excerpts:

"His defence is still a bit dubious, his net game isn't as strong as it used to be and then of course his self-confidence must have taken a big, big hit," former Danish national team coach Steen Schleicher Pedersen told AFP.

"Maybe even his life values, after being in a crash like that where the driver died. Maybe he doesn't have that hunger any more, maybe he doesn't care, maybe it's changed him," added Pedersen, now a badminton commentator.

Pedersen said it looked like Momota's vision was affecting his play last year, especially his defence.

"Has he been able to practise fully this year? If he's been limited in his practice, that could be a part of the explanation," he said.

"If he's practised 100 percent from January 1 to now and he's been hitting the gym and doing all the badminton practice that he needs and this is the outcome, then there's no more, most likely."

Momota is still ranked number two in the world but the points system has been skewed by the coronavirus pandemic and he is expected to plummet once a truer picture emerges later this year.

He did not sound confident when he spoke to Japanese reporters in April, saying he just wanted "to do all I can at this moment".

"It makes me sad when I see comments like 'he's not playing well' or 'the Momota of old doesn't exist anymore', but I'm trying not to pay too much attention to that," he said.

Momota suffered another first-round defeat on Wednesday, this time to Danish world number 13 Rasmus Gemke at the Indonesia Open.

He looked well off the pace again and said afterwards that he "didn't have the stamina", blaming himself for making "so many mistakes".

Pcyl likes this.
  11. Baddyforall

For me, Players already has some sort of gameplan to counter Momota's game even before entering the court. But only few can convert it on the court. Momota need to change his game otherwise, he won't be winning titles anymore. He may reach finals then and there depending on the draw. That's all. His game is scrutinised completely.
    Once the ranking is unlocked on August, he wont be in the seeding bracket. Then he will be punch bag for TOP players if he meet them before Quarterfinals. He need to show some results in the coming tournaments . Atleast one or two to improve ranking if it is released on Aug/.

Pcyl likes this.
  12. Makkem_1

Makkem_1 Regular Member

I'd like to say somewhat philosophically, lots of players train hard enough and do all the right things. And never achieve anything.
    Kento is made of the right stuff. He didn't become a bad player overnight. He's almost certainly putting the work in. He has the skill, he also has a very strong mentality. its just his body isn't what it was (for whatever reason). But its still important to him to try to make an Olmpics I think.
    One thing that stood out isn't so much the anodyne things Kento says at Press conferences: i think in between poor results and intrusive questions coupled with his own character and sense of what's appropriate to say, i don't think he's going to be laying his heart open.
    I was watching the Ax99 Pro commercial, he said what almost feels like a badminton obituary and a bit of personal philosophy, not as trite as i was expecting:
    If you can't enjoy what you do, you are still in the stage where you need to work hard. Hard work does not always pay off. But unless you give it all, there will be no results. So be the one who can enjoy the tough times.
    Well, tough times and game and body needs serious tinkering. But i think he understands how fleeting the physical excellence can be. And i think that unlike the fans, he does not expect anything as his due. Not a single point. Its always been craftmanship and graft. Even now, his game is very aesthetically pleasing. For me, i just envy how smooth he hits a simple clear for example, with no wasted effort at all.
    Good luck Kento, I guess! People forget really quickly how good he was, he deserves at the very least respect for trying to get back to his best, being held to absolute standards. Its not as if he's going out there and losing 21-5 to people, his level's now about WR#30 or so in honesty, but its physical not technical. I still love watching him play. He's earned the right to be there. And, like LCW before him, there's something stubborn and admirable behind the undeniable skill which is about the spirit of the game.

13. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

Would he really drop out of the seedings bracket? I know his ranking would drop but that much?

14. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

If his vision is affecting him again, then it could really hit him hard in confidence, knowing he can't do much, unlike stamina.
    As for life value, that is likely too, with the accident and now the pandemic. If he had another near miss, or seeing close friends passed away recently, that might affect him.

Anyway these are just my guesses. No matter what he has achieved much, so I feel he should enjoy his badminton while it last.

15. Baddyforall

Somebody predicted unlocked rankings depending upon the current results etc and there Momota is 9th position. If his situation continue like this, he will be out of Top 10 bracket.

#1275 Baddyforall, Jun 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    This!

Quentin11 likes this.
  17. Nine Tailed Fox

Anyone realised he doesn't neutralise opponents' shots anymore?

It's straight crash boom bang stuff from both sides of the net. Often the opponents's side.

Baddyforall likes this.
  18. Bryan Wong

The thing is that he has no bite so everyone is less tense or defensive against his boom bangs. Might as well relax and prepare for his neutral shots since you can comfortably absorb his offence.

Meanwhile when LZJ is up in the air on the other side…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  19. tuomastoppila

tuomastoppila Regular Member

Strongest version of Momota is his iron wall defence mode, when he played with lighter racket and just outplayed through net play and versatility of shots to make opponent unable to follow pace and be physically worn out. One problem is that he is suddenly trying to become Lin Dan like attacking beast by incorporating heavier smashes into his game. I want Momota to never smash and just physically outwear and outplay opponents with his shot technique and wrist touch which are superior to that of every other player on the field.

20. Bryan Wong

I’d disagree..

Momota was said to have much better attack pre-accident (by Gillian and Morten). At some point it’s simply more effective to have better offence than have diminishing returns on defence; it’s simply clear that he is both weaker defensively and offensively however..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk