Ko Sung-hyun

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by weewee, Jan 8, 2011.

1. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Ko has improved since he stopped partnering LYD. He seems a lot more determined and confident. If he can keep this up consistently I have no doubt he will win a lot more tournaments.

His doubles partner SBC hasn't actually been playing as well as Ko in recent tournaments imo. But when he's on form they may a formidable pairing.

2. blabl

blabl Regular Member

General News

Shin/Ko Crash Out – TOTAL BWF World Championships: Day 3 Session 2

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - Text by Dev Sukumar | Badmintonphoto

The title defence of Shin Baek Choel and Ko Sung Hyun did not last beyond the second round as they crashed to Goh V Shem/Tan Wee Kiong today.

The Men’s Doubles defending champions ran into a near-perfect performance by their Malaysian opponents, who gave them no opening to exploit as they closed it out 21-12 21-15.

It was an extraordinary capitulation by Shin/Ko, recent Indonesia Open champions at the same venue. Right from the outset, the Malaysians controlled the play, with Tan working out openings at the forecourt and Goh capitalising on those openings. The Malaysians (above) did not allow the Koreans the fast and furious exchanges at which they revel.

“We followed our game plan well and we kept our focus and did not make mistakes,” said Tan.

3. blabl

blabl Regular Member

In the third match on the same court, 8th-seeded Ko Sung Hyun and Kim Ha Na finally broke the streak, despite the fact that they too were facing Indonesian opponents with plenty of support. The Macau Open champions Edi Subaktiar and Gloria Emanuelle Widjaja were never in a threatening position and Ko and Kim made it to the quarter-finals.

“We kept the lead throughout this match so for us it was a rather comfortable win,” said Ko Sung Hyun afterward. “The draft was pretty strong but we adapted well and it was a good match for us.

Asked about their prospects in the quarter-final round against 2013 World Champions Liliyana Natsir / Tontowi Ahmad, Ko said, “Well, [Natsir and Ahmad] are a great pair and we’ve faced them plenty of times before so we’ll just analyse their matches and we’ll try to put on a good match against them.

“The Indonesian pairs are particularly good at controlling the net but we think that if we can keep the rallies going longer against Natsir and Ahmad then stamina might be a factor in our favour.

Of playing in court 4, Ko said, “Well, the Indonesian fans are so supportive and then they are of course particularly supportive of the Indonesian players so it can be disorienting on court but if you are focussed on your match, the noise isn’t that much of a factor.

“Yesterday’s loss was a real disappointment,” said Ko, speaking of the defeat he and Shin Baek Cheol (pictured bottom) suffered to Goh/Tan Wednesday in men’s doubles, “so of course it was great that I still have mixed doubles to concentrate on so I’m really intent on doing my best and producing a good result in mixed.”

4. event

event Regular Member

We appreciate the interest in what we write on Badzine but if you feel forum members might be interested, please paste a link, rather than cutting and pasting the text of Badzine articles.

The article from which the above text was lifted is here:

thumbs_20150813_1334_worldchampionships2015_rsal9826_rotator.jpg
    WORLDS R16 – Dutch extend, Koreans end Court 4 jinx

Jacco Arends and Selena Piek made it two upsets in a row in the Court 4 cauldron but Kim Ha Na and Ko Sung Hyun finally snapped it. By Don Hearn, Badzine Correspondent live in...

5. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Korean MD performance has been on a decline. As much as how I would like to see Ko Sung Hyun and winning the gold medal in the Olympic 2016 together with his partner Shin Baek Cheol, I also have to admit the fact that lack of variety of play and the same style of play among Korean MD has been exposed. Thus MD players from other countries can win over them easily. As a player they may tend to follow a certain style of play. This has actually been exposed to other players. Hence this makes it difficult for both of them to win now.

However, on the brighter side of the day, Ko Sung Hyun said that he will continue to play to his level best to win gold medals regardless in MD or XD events.

6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Congrats to Ko Sung Hyun for his double title at the German Open! Impressive performance by both him and Shin Baek Cheol, especially with the weird scheduling (why the hell didn't they put the MD final in last place...?). Two finals, and then a win over their WR#1 compatriots...great! Hope they qualify in Rio and get a medal, they truly deserve it in my eyes.
    Attractive, exciting badminton and no shenanigans to throw off opponents. This is how it's supposed to be.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

winning the german open xd was the easy part

winning the md title took some hard work, and some luck, as lee and yoo were making lots of uncharacteristic errors in the third game to not even make it a close one

we shall see how next week at all england plays out, will be the big one before rio og

note to mods: can we combine ko and shin's threads together now that they're a solid pair

8. blabl

blabl Regular Member

I an too speechless for words. Seeing myself how Ko Sung Hyun lift 2 gold medals on the final day of the German Open finals I told myself that I just have been dreaming. But then again it is a true afoey after all. Wow I myself never imagine that Ko Sung Hyun would lift 2 titles on the last day.

Welll Ko Sung Hyun himself must be extremely happy to win the MD title with his partner Shin Baek Xheol. This is because both have never lose to Lee Yong Dae / Yoo Yeon Seong before in any MD tournaments. So far both of them have been performing well in this MD tournament.

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Not true - they actually have a 3-4 head to head. They do seem to get the best of them when the matches get bigger, though - their losses were, iirc, in early rounds.

10. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Oka thanks for the clarification. But I myself also sincerely hope that both of these pairs Ko Sung Hyun / Shin Baek Cheol will show more consistency in tournaments and win more gold medals in tournaments. I just cannot wait to see both if their performance in this coming All England tournament.

11. blabl

blabl Regular Member

So happy to see Ko Sung Hyun / Shin Baek Cheol win the MD title at New Zealand Open. However, it is also sad for me to see Ko Sung Hyun lost in the semifinals of New Zealand Open. From what I have observed, doing double duties during tournament time is just mot benefiting him. I hope he can jay concentrate in one events either XD or MD only for Olympics 2016. But I also know that is just my own wistful thinking. Ko Sung Hyun still need to do double duties for Olympics 2016.

12. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Ko needs another partner in XD. One that does not despair as easily.

Most pairs know that to beat Ko and Kim Ha Na, is as easy as working on Kim's mind.

Having said that Ko tends to depend too much on his power ...... he could end up like Xu Chen. Mixed Doubles is not Men's Doubles. He needs to differentiate the tactics of both disciplines.

13. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Considering Ko plays with (probably) the weakest lady of all the top players, I don't think your criticism is entirely justified.
    I'm waiting to see what will happen after the olympics, but honestly, they only have 2 top mixed women, and that's only after assuming Shin SeungChan and Chae YooJung will become top players in the (near) future.

I can't see them splitting up Chae+Shin, so that doesn't leave many options.

14. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Guess now is the time for me clarify this whole situation. I sincerely hope that you can accept it. Well to be honest what @abedeng said is actually correct. Kim Ha Na is really not a very good lady partner. Now I am trying to put myself into Ko Sung Hyun situation. Imagine if your country wants you to perform well in XD and MD tournaments it is definitely not easy. Hence Ko Sung Hyun needs a good lady partner that can support him in XD. Unfortunately Kim Ha Na is not. How many times I have seen Kim Ha Na crumbled under pressure and not performing at all. Then Ko Sung Hyun had to help her out. I still remembered vividly the group match of Korea versus Japan in the sudirman cup 2015. I just quote one example. Ko sung Hyun / Kim Ha Na should have won that match easily versus an unknown Japanese XD. Yet both lose. At that time Kim Ha Na was really playing that badly. She couldn't play. She made so many mistakes. Hence the Korean coach became so desperate and asked Ko Sung Hyun to play as the front court player and Kim Ha Na shifted behind to be the backcourt player. Of course everything backfired and hence Japanese won the match 3-2. Well Korea had a good chance but with their best XD lose the match, everything backfire.

15. blabl

blabl Regular Member

To be honest the Korean coaches knew about this. They knew Kim Ha Na wasn't a good lady partner. But then what can they do? They don't have other option. What you said is true. They cannot split Shin Baek Cheol and Chae Yoo Jung. Too bad. Hence Korean side also couldn't find a better lady partner for Ko Sung Hyun. Hence it had to be Kim Ha Na till now. So easy. All the opponents who have to play versus them knew they just need to keep attacking Kim Ha Na then they have a high chance to win already.

Another reason is the role of the players. Both Ko and Shin are the backcourt players in XD of course. But when both play together in MD one has to be the backcourt player and the other one has to be the front court player. Hence the confusion of course doing different duties for XD and MD.

16. blabl

blabl Regular Member

But with the Olympics 2016 qualifying period ending soon it will be unwise for Korea side to change the partnership of Ko and Kim in XD. Currently their world ranking is at no 4. If Ko is given a new lady partner he will not qualify to play in Rio Olympics 2016. Hence I felt that Korea should quickly decide as for now. The wise decision would be to let both Ko and Shin focus in their XD match only. Then for the MD should have no problem. Just let Kim Gi Jung / Kim Sa Rang play as second MD. But then all this I admit is easier said than done.

Right now both Ko Sung Hyun/ Shin Baek Cheol performance in MD tournaments is much better then Kim Gi Jung / Kim Sa Rang. Hence it is very unlikely both Ko and Shin will be let off from playing in MD matches. Hence this I believe has seriously taken a toll on their performance for XD and MD. Too bad.

To be honest it will be very difficult for a player to excel in both XD and MD categories. So the partnership of Ko Sung Hyun / Kim Ha Na will definitely be retained forever till both retired I guess. But the challenging part would be how to help Kim Ha Na improved her game. Seems like she has come to a standstill and her performance is not improving much. This is certainly not helping Ko at all.

I hope that whatever that I have shared here clarifies everything.

17. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

blabl: I wasn't contesting that Kim HaNa is weak; I was contesting that Ko SungHyun is somehow falling short tactically. His physical ability is of course awe inspiring (#2 fan after Gill?), but that's not how you get into the top 5. The fact that he has a weaker partner makes this even more so.

18. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    @SolsticeOfLight , to some extent I agree with you. Ko Sung Hyun's physical ability is top notch and his MD World title already proves it. The fact that he is in the top 5 of XD is good, but KSH will struggle to move further forward as is.

There is a main difference in tactics between MD and XD for the male back-court player. Level doubles allow for rotation where back-court and front-court players can trade places to sustain an attack, XD needs to have the girl stay in front and so there is a lot off diagonal movement effort at the back for the man if a placement from one side gets returned to the other side at the back. In short, playing with high pace (as in a smash) may be detrimental to your health if it gets returned with interest.

If KSH were to reclaim the top XD crown for Korea at the Worlds or Olympics, a few things must happen.

1. Get a more decent partner - Korea already has a history of mixed doubles success, so I can't see why there is a dearth of worthy female talents. However, if this is somewhat not possible, then do the next best thing .......
    2. Give Kim Ha Na a dose of mental training - especially how not to vent frustration and fear on court. It would make a world of difference in her performance. She also needs to be more mobile at front-court. Otherwise, there is nothing much wrong with her.
    3. From Ko's perspective, adjust the pace of his back-court shot-making to allow him the ideal time to go for the next shot if it comes back to the other side of the back-court.

A good example would be Praveen Jordan - who is also a powerfully built player. But now you can see the transition that has happened from using full physical power to adjustments to pace, which won him and Debby Susanto the All-England title.

19. jma97

jma97 Regular Member

i agree that kim ha na is the weaker link in the team, especially mentally but i also think that she has improved a lot. especially since early last year. at the end of last year they won the denmark open, french open, chinese taipei open and were runners up at the destination dubai finals and i don't think they could've done that in 2014. i think they've improved a lot, especially kim and they won because of that? they're now a top 5 pair in the world.

at the new zealand open, i think kim ha na was having a bad tournament so I don't really hold it against her maybe she was just having a bad one but at the same time i think ko sung hyun makes wrong decisions a lot especially when he's playing mixed. he tends to smash cross court a lot and leave the court open, i also think he doesn't set up kim ha na enough at the front. at the new zealand open it was more like he was playing mens doubles instead of mixed in their semi final.. in my opinion. moving forward when he should've just let kim cover it? i'm not sure they didn't seem to be working as a team as much as they were last year.

kim ha na is the weak link but i also think she has improved so much and has lots of room for improvement (ko sung hyun too with his decision making). they have proved that they can beat the best partnerships in the world and they're at a career high #4 in the world so i'm not quite sure why people are putting them down when they're playing the best they ever have at the moment?

p.s i hope kim ha na is okay after colliding with ko sung hyun's racquet at the india open! and good on her for continuing to play on like a champion!

kwun likes this.
  20. ShadowKnight

ShadowKnight Regular Member

^^ like his stype