Korea Badminton Scene

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by blabl, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

Oh Badzine just published an article indicating Kim Ha Na has retired...

2. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

3. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

I’m very disappointed by Korea’s showing at the world cup. 7 players qualified, which has to be considered a huge disappointment; Bulgaria qualified 8, whilst top nations Japan and China qualified 25 players, and Indonesia has 29 representatives.

A few years ago Korea was considered a big badminton country, but it’s difficult to see right now.

4. Master

Master Regular Member

Some players have passed the qualification period but then KOR reject the invitation. KOR have more priorities at Asian Games likely.

Jeon Hyeok Jin, Lee Jang Mi, Kim Won Ho/Seo Seung Jae, Choi Hyuk Gyun/Park Kyung Hoon, Chae Yujung/Kim So Young, Baek Hana/Lee Yu Rim, Kim Hye Rin, Kong Hee Yong, Choi Solgyu/Chae Yujung, Kim Won Ho/Shin Seung Chan, Kim Jae Hwan/Lee So Hee are all decline their participation chance in this World Championships.

It's a big missing in World Championships.

SolsticeOfLight likes this.
  5. Mario21

Mario21 Regular Member

Do KSH/SBC play as independent players or BKA players ? And LYD/KGJ ?

Is someone knows ?

6. event

event Regular Member

This never gets reported in the Korean press but the Asian Games priority is a good bet. Also, there is a pattern that the Koreans seemed to have zero interest in accepting invitations for disbanded pairs that have qualified in partnerships that won't be continuing. That explains the absence of Choi/Park in MD, Chae/Kim in WD, Choi/Chae, Kim/Lee, and Kim/Shin in XD and I think all the pairings involving Kim Hye Rin and Kim So Yeong. It doesn't explain the rejection of Chang/Jung or of Kim/Seo. It looked as if Korea was trying to put Seo back with Choi Sol Gyu but after their notional ranking was sabotaged by the 2017 Sudirman, that pairing was doomed and they are putting Kim and Seo back together for the Asian Games and for the Korea Open (plus the reserve list for China and Japan). Lee Jang Mi and Lee Yu Rim are off the national team. In the latter case, it is a serious ACL injury sustained at a domestic event in June. Jeon is also injured.

7. event

event Regular Member

Independent players. Their participation in this summer's events was made possible by a court ruling after Ko/Shin sued the BKA. See details in this article, which is part of a series on that topic, all based on reports in the Korean daily papers.

Mario21 likes this.
  8. Konquerian

Konquerian Regular Member

I, too, was disappointed by the lack of players from the Korea team in the WC. But at least now I know what happened to them, I didn't know they all rejected the invites.

9. Mario21

Mario21 Regular Member

Thank's for the info. Do you think they can enter BKA in the future though ?

10. event

event Regular Member

I think theoretically they could try out for the national team again but I doubt they want to. Rejoining the national team means living at the national training centre in Jincheon, away from wives and children for most of the year. They have to train when the coaches say train and travel when the coaches say travel. I think most of the players who left the national team were willing to submit to that lifestyle for 10-15 years but need more freedom as they near or pass the age of 30. I've not heard of any top players being forced to retire. Some have tried out for the national team in their late 20s and been rejected but with most of the players we have seen leaving right after Olympics or Asian Games, it seems to be a matter of choice.

Mario21 and Michael V like this.
  11. visor

visor Regular Member

ant01 likes this.
  12. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
  13. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Damn...
    All 7 coaches + Entire 13-member Performance Development Committee just resign!
    Not surprising really, considering how far has KOR fallen in badminton world.
    Media and people are pissed off, I'm afraid.

14. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    It's such a shame sadly. They can't make results without the talent to back their already strong program.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

15. nizze

nizze Regular Member

My sentiment exact .

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

16. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I'm wondering if this is in protest against some senior individuals in BKA or did they all resign as a result of feeling responsible for the poor performance of the Korean team?

stanleyfm likes this.
  17. event

event Regular Member

The text of the Chosun Ilbo editorial suggests the latter and actually refers to the coaches' resignation as a measure undertaken by the BKA.

18. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I personally wouldn't believe that the BKA would undertake such a drastic measure. There would be no benefit in getting rid of all the people at the same time. If they really wanted to, they would do it gradually.

I believe this was done by the coaches themselves as a protest and to display their feelings towards BKA.

stanleyfm likes this.
  19. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

I hope so too

BKA has some large things to think about

Hope these coaches can still contribute to the international badminton

I guess Agus Dwi Santoso does not resign though, does he?

20. Master

Master Regular Member

I'm wonder why BKA had never released a public release about this mass resignation. It's now more than 1 month since October 4 (since it was revealed in an editorial in Korean daily the Chosun Ilbo).

There is no update in their website as well ---> http://bka.kr/people/nationalteam.asp

The website isn't dead since they're updating the M&Q Report of the upcoming Korea Master tournament.

2018 광주 빅터
    코리아마스터즈
    배드민턴선수권대회
    - 기간 : 11/27~12/2
    - 장소 : 광주여대체육관

- MQ-List(ver.2)보기