Korea Open 2006: Day 3 (23/08)

Discussion in 'Korea Open / Hong Kong Open 2006' started by badMania, Aug 21, 2006.

1. tbleong

tbleong Regular Member

Hey,, Pls Dun Comment Other People English!!! We Are Here Not Learning English, We Are Here For Dicuss! Ok;;;;

2. pramilainc

pramilainc Regular Member

ACGT
    That would be counter-intuitive to IBF current line of thought; I think IBF wants top ranked players to play more and more, which would be better for everyone, like fans and sponsors (probly not the players themselves). What you suggest will encourage them to do exactly opposite..

I think its also not fair by the players themselves. LD, LCW n PG likes play throughout the year to give us some quality badminton, It doesn't seem right if Taufik just appears for Olympics n WC and claims he's #1.

I for one think current ranking system works well. My only complain is that those whom seem to under perform dun seem to slide down fast enough.

3. Chu Liuxiang

Chu Liuxiang Regular Member

My understanding could be wrong on the new ranking system.
    2005 HK Open ended in November 2005 which is less than 12 months by Sept 2006. Take LD as examples, if Lin Dan does not participates in HK Open 2006, he will retain his 2005 HK Open Champion points because it is within the last 12 months.
    If LD participates in HK Open 2006, whether he likes it or not, his 2005 HK Open championship points to be replaced by 2006 HK Open points.
    Therefore, if LD lose out to Taufik Hidayat in round 2 HK Open, he gained round 2 points and loose out championship points. If he retain his HK Open title, his points will remain unchange as only one same tournament points in the last 12 months to be calculated. :D

4. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    i agree with u, hcyong

this is not english class :D ,
    wrong grammar is ok as long as we understand :D

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I don't think she did it on purpose. It's just carelessness, like "unforced error" in badminton. :D

6. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Based on my understanding, Lin Dan's HK2005 points will be deducted after HK2006 whether or not he takes part in HK2006.

7. wirre

wirre Regular Member

Sorry I didn't elaborate enough on that one. What I meant was that a few selected tournaments (not counting championships) should award substantial more points to the SF/F, not earlier stages. Thus it is still necessary to do well in those tournaments. In the long run this will benefit the better players so the ranking system reflects both quality and quantity. Still it's not possible for a gifted player like Taufik to produce only in a championship to claim the No1 ranking.

Reversly they could lower the prize money in those tournaments. So from a business point of view there is a big incitament to also play (and do well) in the tournaments which gives more money (but less ranking points).

But I have no beef with how the ranking works today, actually I couldn't care less.

One thing I personally would like to see however is that the seeding in each tournament (excluding championships) is based on ranking points earned on the last 2-3 tournaments before. Thus it will reflekt and award who is in form or not (and has been competing recently). In championships seeding should follow ranking over a longer period as it is today.

/mats

8. event

event Regular Member

Right. There are three possible reasons why a player's points from a past tournament would be excluded from the ranking points total.

1) The tournament in question started more than 12 months ago.

2) This year's edition of the tournament in question has already started.

3) The tournament in question was the player's 10th best result in the last 12 months and the player has just acquired more points from a tournament that just finished.

Lin Dan's points from being runner-up in last year's WC came off this week because it's been 12 months since the 2005 WC started. His 2006 HK Open points will come off next week because the 2006 Hong Kong Open will have started by then.

9. blessing

blessing Regular Member

can sum1 give me a clear briefing or a kindly explaination on da world rankings points system...? i got a little bit blur n coufuse abt it... :confused: add here add there...seems like quite complicated...hehe.. :eek:

10. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Yes, totally agree. That is my current assumption also. I would put it like this.

1) A tournament's ranking points will NOT be eligible if awarded more than 12 months ago. (Or 52 weeks - depends on what criteria IBF uses.)

2) A tournament's ranking points will NOT be eligible if the ranking points for the current year's edition of the tournament has been awarded. This is true whether or not the player took part in the current year's edition.

3) Of all the tournaments that are eligible, only the player's 10 best tournaments will count towards the player's ranking. This includes at most 1 team tournament that can count towards the player's ranking.

Briefly, the previous system is only (1) and (3). The new system includes (2). Personally, I don't like (2) for reasons which I think are valid. But I don't deeply dislike it because I think there are some valid reasons for it as well.

11. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I think the current ranking system also benefit the better players. But I agree with you that the points for reaching the final stages should be higher than it is currently. But how much higher? It is arbitrary.

The tournaments which award the highest ranking points does not give prize money at all. So, you can't lower them.

This is tricky. For example, say I am the undisputed best player in the world and also world no 1. But the last two tournaments I played in are small ones due to some obligations. Those two tournaments won't even count in my rankings because they are outside my top 10 best tournaments. Should my seeding for the next tournament be penalised just because I took part in some small tournaments?

I think the current seeding system is fair and simple enough.