Korea Open 2006: Day 4 - R16 (24/08)

Discussion in 'Korea Open / Hong Kong Open 2006' started by hcyong, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Chu Liuxiang

Chu Liuxiang Regular Member

Yes, TH also have problems against Wong CH (left hander ) and he even lost to Lee Tsuen Seng (left hander) during 2002 Guangzhou Thomas Cup.:D

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

possibly, but the trend has been and is still there for TH..of course, the opponent must be a "worthy" one also..
    oh yeah, skipped in my mind, those players also..And don't forget his *current* #1 nemesis, LinDan, another southpaw..;)TH actually had difficulties competing with/beating him, until last yr at the Singapore Open & then the WC...On that note, i'm sure he'll figure out & beat LHI one of these days, if he's able to meet him again..:p :rolleyes: ;)

#82 ctjcad, Aug 24, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  3. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Guys, let's not downplay Taufik's Olympic victory. He took on in-form players (WongCH, Gade and Boonsak) on the way in. Where was Lin Dan, came unstuck against Susilo (who lost to Boonsak) .... :mad: Chen Hong, barely passed LCW (who had not yet shown his full potential) and got blasted by SSM ...

Taufik's smash may not be most powerful, but the angle is difficult to counteract, as WongCH found out in Athens ...

4. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    mm... now that is just a bias statement:rolleyes:.. Taufik can only win on home soil?
    Who says he never won in Korea? He beat LHI in his homegroudn in asian game 2002 didn't he? I think to win in Athens and Anaheim, which is like a once off event is good enough.. not even LD world #1 can claim he has won in these locations..

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Those with weaker backhands may find southpaws more difficult to handle. But not for Taufik who can inflict a great deal of problems even with his backhand!

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

hmm, sorry Loh, but do you mind explaining the logic of this one, at least to me??..:p ;)

7. kemana

kemana Regular Member

i happen to think these are the most important 2 events in badminton:)

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    OK, it is not very glaring and it is only my own observation. And I'm a right hander, unfortunately.

If you can draw a chart or just visualize/picture it: At the start of a singles game, with both players standing in their respective right courts diagonally opposite, the left handed player can capitalize by attacking his right handed opponent's backhand with his left forehand much easier.

Additionally, if his opponent could not cover his left court fast enough, he is at a greater disadvantage of being attacked on his backhand. But if his opponent has a strong backhand (like Taufik's), it will not be as effective for the southpaw.

Conversely the righthanded player can attack his left handed opponent in the reverse, when they play on their respective Left courts. In the LHI versus TH match, it would appear that both players' backhands were not found wanting or that they were able to limit the number of attacks to their BH.

I don't think I could make it clearer and as I said, this is my personal observation. :p

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Sorry guys, forgot to say, it's a bit off topic..

OK, I see, thanks for your clarification Loh...;) So, in that case, you were specifically referring to:
    1. A righty vs. lefty players situation, not a righty vs. righty or lefty vs. lefty players situations..
    2. And more in the initial serving/receiving mode...
    3. And most likely in a Single game mode..
    Just like your example which i've highlighted in bold, it can also go the other way for "northpaws"(right-handed) vs. southpaws, correct??..:)

#89 ctjcad, Aug 24, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Right on, Chris!

11. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

74 minutes and TH lost. What a failure, the problem must be TH's stamina was left behind LHI. But try to pisitive thinking : maybe TH is only hunger about WChamp title not others. I feel LHI is very well understand now how to beat TH, good improve!

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

It's deja vu again for Taufik..

from another post, different thread..
    Well, don't know if anyone read it already, but there's a new article at the IBF's official website which mentioned abt TH's R16 match against LHI. Perhaps event can elaborate or tell us more abt the incident. In it, it's deja vu all over again as Taufik cited the "unfair" line calls during the 2nd set which he also got angry. After the match ended, he said "he'll probably not come to the Korea Open anymore"...hmm..:rolleyes: :p

#92 ctjcad, Aug 25, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  13. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I Have no first hand experience of the line calls here, but I imagine it is well known from past experiences that line calls possibly may not be as impartial at other tournaments, so there may be a small case of the reputation adding to the calls. Unfair calls happen in all tournaments after all.

Can you think of any other world class sporting event where members of the public can take such an active part in the game and potentially affect the result?

It makes it even more farsical that previously the umpires could not overule line judges!

#93 jamesd20, Aug 25, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  14. event

event Regular Member

I wasn't right near the court where Lee and Taufik were playing so I didn't actually see the line calls. Taufik was complaining and he made the same vow not to come back after the Asian Games in 2004. I saw those replays on TV and the calls he complained about were terrible. A good one or two inches out and the line judge called them in.

Pi had similar complaints when she was playing against Hwang Hye-youn but she was getting very frustrated because she was, in fact, putting an incredible number of shots out.

Sairul was the worst. He literally gave up in his match against Lee yesterday. He got yellow carded for throwing his racquet and then intentionally drove the shuttle into the net to lose on game point (he was several points behind anyway). Then he didn't seem to be trying in the second game at all, which was too bad because his reputation is as a fighter.

Roslin felt he was under the gun against Park but he was much smarter about it. He had a similar complaint that Jonassen had against Shon Seung-mo, which was that the Korean players were celebrating about shots going out before the line judges had made the call. Roslin picked up on that and started doing it at least as much as Park. He also played better than Park and did a whole lot more running than Sairul did in his match. Both Chen and Roslin had complaints about the line judges in their match yesterday and in that cases you wouldn't expect the partisanship accusation.

Umpires have made corrections in several matches, including one at a crucial point in a match involving a Korean pair and going against them. I have seen cases of bad line calls by judges and ones that I am sure were correct but still brought complaints by the players. Since a lot of players complain here, we might say that where there's smoke, there's fire. On the other hand, I wonder whether the players are seeing more smoke than there really is. After all, to extend the analogy, I could say that where there's smoke, people are more likely to listen when you yell "fire". In other words, with all the complaints in the past, people seem ready to believe that Korea line judges are biased.

I think they are doing a good job on the whole. The hardest to call are cross-court shots, especially smashes. A player inside the court has, I think a better view when the shuttle is out than a line judge looking directly down the line because the player can see that patch of green between the white line and the white cork of the shuttle. The line judge can't see that at all and can't guess well because of the angle the shuttle is leaning at. Chen Yu did a lot of those shots and had a lot of complaints about the calls made on them. He was playing Roslin at the time.

15. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Well Event,

They say 1 past wrong takes 10 rights to fix.

Korea seems to have the worst line judging reputation, while china has the team match fixing rep, Malaysia the Village Champ tag, more Asian countries on cheating in Jrs Age reputation, and etc..........

Only time and good showing can cure past wounds eh???

16. Chu Liuxiang

Chu Liuxiang Regular Member

Usually, if both Chinese players to meet up and the winner will face the next opponent whom is a non China player, they will play the first game and the loser will loose out easily in the second game to save some energy for his/her countryman.:D

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

event, thanks for the recap of what you saw...sorry again to ask, maybe i couldn't really follow, but when you said "I saw those replays on TV and the calls he complained about were terrible. A good 1 or 2 inches out and the line judge called them in", are you referring to the 2004 Asian Games where Taufik played in Korea??..or are you referring to this year's KO??..:confused:

18. event

event Regular Member

I'm talking about the 2004 Asian Games.
    This may be true but I think China has a pretty bad reputation too. I remember some awful calls at the Sudirman Cup in 2005.

19. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    That sounds like the sairul I saw.