Kuala Lumpur stories and pictures

Discussion in 'World Championships 2007' started by chibe_K, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    I somewhat agree with you BUT jumping que, littering, vandalizing and honking are things of the past.

I agree that taxi drivers still cheat on foreign tourists. This is because they also try to cheat on us, locals. kekeke! Yes, our public busses are not on time. I think this is due to our bad traffic jams. kekekeke!

But these are just minor problems, actually we are now facing serious problems like snatch thefts, Mat Rempit (Bikers that high on drugs terrorising the city) and girls being robbed/raped/murdered. (I hope what i said has not offended anyone here)

2. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    All that is happening in other industrialised nations/cities as well. Doesn't make it right but it's wrong to think that this is a crime infested backwater country.

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Yeah, missed some great stuff but..

:)..yeah, i almost joined you guys on Saturday but had other plans:p But glad though you & the rest of the guys, came on Sunday, as i was already thinking you might not come that day...:p;)
    ..actually, from what i experienced with the very few days i was there, KL in general is not much different than other advanced and industrialized countries i've been in. And if there are differences, then it's pretty much relatively minor. Too bad i didn't have more time to visit other parts of the country. Overall though, i have a very satisfactory impression of KL. ;):cool:
    :D..yes, yes, i really needed that:p:)...Actually, i was able to get some exercise running & walking around KL, mostly getting & being lost, being a first time visitor there.:p:D:cool:

4. smashmouth

smashmouth Regular Member

banker
    My WC Experience

I was in KL last weekend with a large group of friends to catch the semis and finals of the WC and to do some shopping of course. Our hotel, Radius International, is strategically located at the heart of the Bukit Bintang area, so we were just a few minutes walk away from the malls and a stone’s throw away from the hawker stalls.

KL is very modern with its impressive skyline and infrastructure. The Petronas Tower is a sight to behold especially at night when it looks like two scepters covered with diamonds. But at the same time, its culture remains intact. People are generally friendly and can speak English, so there’s no problem asking for directions or bargaining.

We loved the food …. Nasi lemak, bah kut the, satay, curry, and of course, the teh tarik. We had dinner once along the hawker street and it was an interesting experience. On one very late night after the finals and some last minute shopping, we discovered an eatery near our hotel that is open 24 hours and served Indian food. Our night cap included teh tarik and some roti dipped in curry.

The shopping was great since lots of stuff were on sale. The Suria KLCC is a world class mall with a great foodcourt. The other malls that we visited like BB Plaza and Sungei Wang were also ok because of the bargains we found especially for electronic products. I personally think Times Square is too big, although I was impressed with the fact that it had a full size roller coaster inside the mall.

Watching the WC at the Putra Stadium was a unique experience by itself. The crowd was very passionate. We felt the intensity when LWW and CTF were playing against eventual champions Markis Kido and Hendra Setiawan. It was infectious so we joined the Malaysian fans in cheering for their players. And by the way the crowd responded, I also got the impression that LD is very popular in Malaysia, perhaps 2nd only to the Malaysian players.

Overall, I would say that I enjoyed my WC experience in KL tremendously. Everyone in our group had a great time. Our only regret is not having enough time to see and experience more of KL so we hope to visit again soon. As the saying goes, time flies when you’re having fun.

By the way, I saw Ants while lining up for tickets outside the stadium. I said ‘Hi’ to him, and although he doesn’t know me, he was nice enough to acknowledge my greeting.

5. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Chris, after all that exercise, u still told us that you are putting on weight .... :p

smashmouth, u should have joined us in our dinner gathering. Ants would have been willing to send u back to Bukit Bintang, since he was sending Hau there as well.

As for the WC atmosphere, it's still nothing compared to Thomas/Uber Cup 1988 and 1992 at Stadium Negara. And back then, we didn't have the long pom-pom balloons too ......

#65 abedeng, Aug 22, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  6. milady_aries

milady_aries Regular Member

Student
    I'm not a tourist but this thread just caught my attention XD I didn't get to browse through the whole thread; only the posts on the first page. Since I don't go out a lot, still too young [hahaha] so I'll add my two cents in :3

I was cheated by a taxi driver because of my friend and my own naivety. We paid extra not without wishing a karma repayment on him.

Rant
    :3 I know what we did was bad but you just can't help but put a smile on your face to hide the irritation while muttering some *wishes*. Best of all, I offered thank you to him so I don't own anything anymore XD
    Rant

Anyway, there littering, yes. Rude honkings, sometimes my father does it but I don't know why. Impatient I guess? Nevermind, my teacher used to say "Pity the guy lah, can't wait to go toilet that's why rushing,". Rudeness here and there but in every other way, not everyone behave the same. Malay proverb use to say "...banyak manusia, banyak ragam". Lots of humans = lots of personalities.

Rants
    Just how you look at them. First impressions? Overall, I'm Chinese and I mix around with other cultures XD I love how racism is at the minimum especially in school.
    Rants

Hahaha, I rant a lot =.=||| anyway, sticking back to topic, Kuala Lumpur ermm...good food? After all we're multicultured so what food our motherlands have, we have it too :D Shopping's not my style but I do enjoy going through nature parks. This is only Kuala Lumpur, Bukit Tinggi X3 I really love the cool wind there~!

=.= I seem to go out less but \o/ I respect the "semangat" our country had on the players in Bukit Jalil this year. Students, parents, old and young gather to cheer on Malaysia without fail. My friend beside me had the whole family watching Live on TV. She came personally to witness the game while her mother and father were cheering at home.

7. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    By the way, I recommend tourists thinking of visiting Malaysia to not spend too much time in KL - you could probably enjoy the country more by going away from there. Mindset, culture, landscapes views and people change with every kilometre you travel away from the city.

It's most unfortunate that most tourists concentrate on the capital city of Kuala Lumpur that makes up just 0.07% of the nation of Malaysia.

8. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    yeah, i agree. even though KL have all the tall buildings and great shopping places, if you really want to experience Malaysia, the nook and crany of the country is the way to go. tall buildings and shopping places, well.....every big cities have em. you go once and you know what it is all about. pretty much the same with other tall buildings and shopping places. not saying you should give it a miss but you could experience the city in one day. but the villages, that is a different story. the waterfalls, the hot springs, the quiet kampung life, the fruit orchards, etc etc....now that is the thing to experience. even i haven't explored the rest of malaysia yet. :)

9. milady_aries

milady_aries Regular Member

Student
    :D Reminds me the days my mother would tell me about her "kampung life" she enjoyed how much the blend came to be. Kuala Lumpur is after all a city where Bukit Jalil is. So badminton fans would just go around the area.

But if they do have time, they can visit other places :D sometimes we KL citizens ourselves would "balik kampung" during festivals just to get the hell out of KL. It'll be quiet here by then XD I enjoy my visits to old kampung and the breeze by the beach near our area. Oh reminds me :x about my trip to Philippines with my maid. She wanted us to see her fields there and their vegetables. It's peaceful...

Sometimes I think Malaysia should seize the imbalance growth of the country and try concentrating the country-sides. After all buzzling city life can be found in every developed countries too. They should also encourage our tourist to feel the life all is city people miss during the old ages at the country side.

10. Leehamza

Leehamza Regular Member

Goverment Servent
    Want To See More About Malaysia. This Is Federal Territory Labuan, Malaysia.

Attached Files:

11. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

Hi Speed & Power, I m not upset on your opinion, it is somewhat true to some extend. As a Malaysian who love my country so much, I sincerely hope that we can compare our country with a better one...your comment will help us develop...and it is our responsibility to upgrade n educate our people...don't feel sorry for that...I respect your feeling...

cheers.......

12. syusuke ika

syusuke ika Regular Member

student
    hwaa ..nice comments ther...hw dare u ~

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Yeah..

..that's why if there were some badminton games, during the gathering, i would welcome that..:D:p;)

14. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    I play seven days and eight times a week (two sessions on Sundays.)
    I also hear the 'you've lost weight' comment frequently. :)

However, my paunch simply refuses to go away. :mad:
    One old-timer told me: "the paunch is the first to come and the last to go".
    But it ain't going away. :crying:
    Any ideas on how I could lose my paunch? :eek:

15. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    stubborn paunch.....:mad:
    do surgery, make it go away...

16. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    surgery :eek::eek::eek::eek:

on second thought, a paunch is kinda ok :(

17. Emmanuelle

Emmanuelle Regular Member

diploma student
    Well even as a Malaysian, I don't really agree with people who say that Malaysians are friendly.
    Look at the waiters and waitresses in many restaurants, for example. In most of the time they take your order kinda COLDLY. And when it comes to clean the dining table, they would come again, with their cold face, saying nothing (I'd expect them to say, at least, things like 'excuse me' or 'may I') and start taking away all the stuff.
    You know this makes me wondering if they really hate their job that they would not give even a smile to the customers.

I'm not saying these because I hate the country or the people here, NO, in fact, I'm always proud to be a Malaysian Chinese, but it's just my hope to see that Malaysian people would learn how to respect themselves and others, and to love their lives.

18. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    waiter or waitress from other countries/foreigner that work here...:confused:

19. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Waiters and waitresses work very long hours for very meagre pay. And customers give their orders coldly and sometimes order them around like dirt. Why don't you try and ask them 'How are you?' or 'How's your day?' and give them a smile for a change? Then wait for their reaction. Don't be surprised if you see their faces light up and break into warm smiles to brighten up your day! Don't wait to be given. Give first and see how your day can change.
    Better still, work for a day as a waiter/waitress. Let us know whether you'll be so demanding of them after the experience.

drifit likes this.
  20. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    good karma...............:D
    do not always ask for return as you never try to give........:eek: