Launcher Shuttlecock - Baddy - Cheap - Open Source

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by satel, Jul 23, 2017.

1. phihag

phihag Regular Member

2. Jay Ng

Jay Ng Regular Member

I’m still waiting for delivery as I only placed the order last week. I’d expect it to take longer than normal as I live on the Isle of Skye and not mainland.

I’ll definitely give my opinion on Baddy on how it is to build as well as what it’s like to use.

3. gerry

gerry Regular Member

4. Elena Tran

Elena Tran New Member

I've just seen on facebook they're releasing a metal version ! Looks really steady. If I purchase right now will I get it?

phihag likes this.
  5. Jay Ng

Jay Ng Regular Member

I made the purchase over a week ago and they confirmed that it will be V2 version so I’ll let you know when it gets here.

phihag likes this.
  6. noway66

noway66 Regular Member

Hello Jay, do you receive it ?

7. Jay Ng

Jay Ng Regular Member

Haven’t received it yet as it’s a 2 month wait from payment received as I guess they need to source the parts.

I’ll try and give a breakdown on receiving, building and using the Baddy

8. Azmi Yusof

Azmi Yusof Regular Member

Any news on reviews?

9. tipper1

tipper1 Regular Member

sales
    Any update on the Baddy as I'm really interested.

10. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I haven't got one but just going by what they say..

If I understand this right, i'm a bit puzzled as to what they mean by 'open source'..

I'm not sure how "open source" it is..

Their software/app is not open source!!

According to this it looks like it may not even be possible to view the code for the app that lets you control it

https://www.baddy.space/
    "
    3/ GO BADDY basic application (Android or IOs) is free but not open: as our website or forum, it allows us to administrate BADDY community - it's our role as a company so, as of today, open source in this case is not applicable and doesn't really make sense (it would be like making our BADDY website open source...)
    "

It's a funny argument that they liken their software to their website, 'cos the software is what lets you control the thing!!

Maybe i'm misunderstanding them. Or you..

Maybe they crowdfunded it as open source but then made it closed source?!?!?!

Looking at their website now it says "open badminton robot"

So the hardware is hackable..

The website is very strange,

https://www.baddy.space/faq

"BADDY aims to be open-source, so why is BADDY for sale ?"

indeed open source doesn't mean no cost.

but it either is open source, or it isn't, what is "aims to be"?

11. LoaS

LoaS Regular Member

First you might want to check the definition of open source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source as you seem to be confused about what it means.
    Then have a look at baddy's github page. You will find the lists of parts, the documents needed to laser cut and assemble the shuttle launcher and the source code of the software to control it, all under an open source licence.

I'm not sure what else you need to make it open source.

12. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Please quote where you think I am confused about what 'open source' is. Particularly given that I quoted you this

"
    3/ GO BADDY basic application (Android or IOs) is free but not open: as our website or forum, it allows us to administrate BADDY community - it's our role as a company so, as of today, open source in this case is not applicable and doesn't really make sense (it would be like making our BADDY website open source...)
    "

If you read that, which I quoted in what you were replying to, and which i've quoted for you again here, does that not tell you that their basic application is not open source?

If you look at their github page I see some source code for some e.g. arduino related stuff, but I don't see their app, do you? https://github.com/baddy-lab/baddy-makers-edition

Their app is not open source, that's my point

You could reply to that and say "well write your own". but all i'm trying to tell you is the basic fact that their app is not open source. (as far as I can tell).

When you say "I'm not sure what else you need to make it open source"

You're writing like this is just so open source and you can't see how it could be any more open source. But did you not read what I quoted you?!.

#32 ralphz, Dec 17, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  13. LoaS

LoaS Regular Member

I see how this might be confusing now.

In your original post you're ranting about baddy not being open source and quote Go baddy as an example. These are two different projects.

Baddy (the shuttle launcher and associated software) is open source as I explained in my previous post. This is also what is explained on their website.

As you've noted in your posts the GO Baddy app which can be used with baddy is not open source. It is however an entirely different project and no claim is made about it being open source. As baddy is open source anyone can write their own app for it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

ralphz likes this.
  14. scanminor12

scanminor12 New Member

Maybe this is a cheaper option to baddy[​IMG]

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

15. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Would be good if you could share more information. What is it? Where to get it from? How much is it? Pretty useless without some more info.

16. scanminor12

scanminor12 New Member

So I bought this from AliExpress . It comes with a standard fixed stand . I had a tripod so modified the original stand to fit it to the tripod [​IMG]

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

17. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    Would like to see this alternative in a video of some sort showcasing it's available functions and shortcomings.

18. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Nowhere near a complete review but after navigating YouTube for a little while searching for a demo of this cheap launcher, I found this:

I am pretty surprised by the "power" of this launcher. I am hesitating between getting a baddy, with more functions or this cheap one. If anyone has any feedbacks to share with the Baddy or this little launcher, that would be great.

19. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Have you made a move on this one in the meantime? We're seriously tempted to get one for the club but there are still doubts in terms of robustness and build quality.

20. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

I've bought one and use it at home (~2 months now). For the price (I paid 120 €) it is really ok. Because of limited space I tried to reduce the speed by replacing the 6V power adapter with a 5V power adapter. There are some occurences where the current shuttle get stuck and you need to remove it or to pull it out a little bit. Factors seems to be:
    1. Damaged shuttles, therefor I bought some cheap Ling shuttles (A60), which work better than the collection of old/damaged shuttles I had (no need to use AS-50 ;)).
    2. After some time the machine get stuck quite frequently, but only after 300-500 shuttles or so. Maybe a heat issues with the motors ? Or an issue with my modifications ? Don't know, but the next time I use it, it works again for this number of shuttles.

Besides the 5V modification I use a standard drain pipe (I think Dn 75 [germany], shortened to ~50-60cm), it fits perfectly and you can use more shuttles (~25) in one run. To avoid that shuttles get stuck to each other I let them fall into the pipe "one by one".

I saw once a video review of the baddy which seems to have similar issues with stuck shuttles, maybe a common issues with these cheap machines.

phihag and s_mair like this.