Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Lol Disneyland????
    Uni studios in spore maybe.
    Maybe anwar will oso wait together maybe lor.

2. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Where are you? Also left for KLIA to meet up with Prof P?

3. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Seems like a lot of Bcers member who usually like to talk about LCW loses in past tournaments didnt even want to show up here, even didnt show up to congratulate LCW........hehehehe

I remember quite a number pf them showed up right after LCW defeat in AE 09 final to LD.........this year they are silent so far......hehehehe..

LCW had make them 'speechless' ? ??????

4. Zabee

Zabee Regular Member

Music Related
    well it will be tougher now for Lee C W ........

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Or..

..maybe it was only 1 person? But that 1 person sounded like several hundred BCers?..:confused:

6. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

No lah, got many ;)

7. eaglehelang

The Star Online > Sports
    Tuesday March 16, 2010
    Lee Chong Wei in seventh heaven

WORLD No. 1 Lee Chong Wei is in seventh heaven after realising his dream of becoming the All-England champion in his seventh attempt in Birmingham on Sunday. He defeated Kenichi Tago of Japan 21-19, 21-19 in a tight final at the National Indoor Arena. It has been a challenging journey but one that the 28-year-old will always remember. He goes on record as the 100th champion of the world’s oldest badminton tournament. He talks to Starsport’s RAJES PAUL and tells how he lived up to the expectations after many past frustrations and what the future holds for him and the Malaysian badminton team.

> HOW does it feel to become the champion that you always wanted to be?
    It is an indescribable feeling. In my first All-England in 2003, Hafiz (Hashim) won the title while I was a first-round casualty.
    I had a heart-to-heart talk with coach Misbun (Sidek) and told him how much I wanted to win the All-England. He promised to make it happen for me if I was willing to give full commitment in training.
    For the last few years, I returned home very disappointed ... always losing to a Chinese.
    On the eve of the final against Tago, I could not sleep that well. I was restless as I did not want to go back without the title. I still cannot believe that I have won it. It has not really sunk in yet.
    One thing is for sure, I can sleep well now. I am only the fifth Malaysian to win the All-Eng*land but I am glad that I ended a seven-year wait for it.

> WHAT was the driving factor behind your success this time?
    I think the key word here is the 100th celebration. I had to win because it is a special edition of a prestigious tournament.
    People don’t really remember if you are the 2008 or 2009 winner. But it makes a lot of difference when you are the champion of its centenary tournament. I was driven by this.
    Besides, I have not won any major title and this seemed to be the perfect stage to pull it off. I have always crashed out in the early stages, especially in the world championships.

> HOW do you feel about winning the title without having to deal with China’s top stars Lin Dan or Bao Chunlai?
    Probably, I will be more satisfied if I had beaten Lin Dan for the title. That is what people want to see. I had a better chance following the exit of Lin Dan (quarter-finals) and Chunlai (semi-finals) and I took that well.
    But of course, I cannot stop people from having their opinion. Some may discount my achievement because I did not have to play against any of the top Chinese players. That is their view.
    But I have to admit that it would have been hard against them. They have five good singles players (the others being Chen Jin, Chen Long and Du Pengyu) and it is not easy for one to clear so many hurdles.
    The Chinese are not in an All-England men’s singles final for the first time since 1999 but I am sure they will bounce back. And I hope to be ready for them.

> WHAT is the most priceless lesson that you will take back home from this All-England?
    I came into the tournament as an unbeaten player on the international stage since the Super Series Masters Finals (in December). I started the year by winning the South Korean Open and then the Malaysian Open.
    The pressure was heavy on me. It felt like the Olympic Games. But I managed to cope with it in every match . I am getting better in handling the pressure, which is really good.

> IS TAGO ready to challenge strongly and consistently on the big stage?
    He has improved tremendously since I last played against him a year ago (in the Swiss Open). He made life difficult for me in this final. I wasn’t safe even when I had a two-point lead over him. He kept coming back at me. Tago is certainly a great fighter and has good skills.
    The South Korean (Shon Wan-ho) also did well in the quarter-finals. These players do not show nerves and we will have to watch out for them. I hope our younger players would be inspired by them too.

> WHO are the people behind your success?
    There are so many of them.
    My coach, Misbun, however, needs special mention. He has been with me since I was a junior. He knew how much I wanted to win this title. He is the most understanding coach a player can have. He is always the first to arrive for training – by 5.30am. He is so dedicated and committed and I am lucky to have him as my mentor.
    Of course, my parents have been supportive. I also get strong support from the BAM (Badminton Association of Malaysia), National Sports Institute and National Sports Council. And my team-mates who have been selflessly sparring with me. Back-up shuttlers Tan Chun Seang and Chan Kwong Beng gave me quality time in sparring.
    I will also not forget my adopted father, Wong Wai Choy, who provided the pillar of strength for me when I left Penang for Kuala Lumpur when I was 18.
    I have to say a big thank you to all Malaysians too. I was also pleasantly surprised to receive a call from the Prime Minister, Datuk Seri Najib (Tun Razak), after my victory. The Prime Minister and his wife had stayed up to watch me play the match live on TV. It meant a lot to me.
    > HOW do you intend to reward yourself for this achievement?
    I will give myself a one-week break to celebrate the win. That will be it. I am skipping the Swiss Open so that I can have some time to relax after giving 100% or more in training and in tournaments for the last three months. It can be mentally draining. But when the one week is up, it’s back to hard work again. There are still other major tournaments for me this year.
    > WHAT’s next for you?
    There will be no tournaments for me until the Thomas Cup Finals (in May). I want to improve on my game and be ready to face all the top ranked players. But the Finals is not an individual event. It’s a team effort and I will do my best to inspire my team-mates. We will be playing at home and hopefully, we can surprise everyone with some good results.
    I consider the All-England as my first major title after many disappointments. And I hope that this will be a start for better things to come. I want to be a world champion and that means I have to beat some good players from China to achieve it. I will stay focused.

> HOW would you sum up the achievements of the other players in the team?
    It is unfair to say that the other players were big flops because they lost early. The national players are one big family. Sometimes I win, sometimes Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong or Chin Eei Hui-Wong Pei Tty win. Most importantly is victories for Malaysia.
    I have had my bad days too but the others did well to cover up. I hope the players will do well in the Swiss Open and no one will be too hard on them.

> WHAT do you have to say to your fans?
    I really love them for all the support that they have given me. The final day saw so many Malaysians in the stadium.
    It was heart-warming and gave me the extra motivation to do well. They have always been encouraging and wishing me well. I went to Chinatown for dinner once with my uncle here and I was swarmed by fans. I just want to thank them all from the bottom of my heart.
    http://thestar.com.my/services/printerfriendly.asp?file=/2010/3/16/sports/5870730.asp&sec=sports

8. eaglehelang

Misbun: Don't take it easy

K.M. Boopathy
    boopathy@nstp.com.my
    2010/03/16

NATIONAL singles coach Misbun Sidek, while heaping praise on his protege Lee Chong Wei, has cautioned the All England champion not to rest on his laurels.
    Misbun, in a telephone interview from Birmingham yesterday, said Chong Wei has proved he is a worthy World No 1 by capturing three titles in a row and if he continues to work hard, every major obstacle can be tackled.

However, Misbun said the emergence of young players like Japan's Kenichi Tago, a surprise finalist in the All England will see them go all out to dethrone Chong Wei. He must remain level-headed and disciplined.

"This is a special achievement, the significance is the same when Hafiz ended a 37-year wait for an All England crown in 2003 but it is a crucial breakthrough for Chong Wei in his search for more glory," said Misbun.

"Chong Wei has proved he is truly the No 1 but he must keep fit and avoid injuries as he is getting older.

"He must be wary of the challenge from the younger players who are coming through the ranks and the fearless attitude shown by Kenichi is an example of how they will put the pressure on Chong Wei and other elite shuttlers.

"Personally, I'm glad to have produced two All England winners and the frequency of winning is also getting shorter. I hope I can produce more players to win this title and do well in other events."

Misbun added that Chong Wei has withdrawn from the Swiss Open, a title which he was supposed to defend when the Super Series begins in Basel today, as the former wanted his charge to take a deserving rest.

Misbun and Chong Wei return home today where a grand welcome, led by Sports Minister Datuk Ahmad Shabery Cheek, has been arranged at Kuala Lumpur International Airport.

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/articles/k_23ropr23_kl/Article/art_print

9. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

The edited his 'maybes' and made it sound much better :p or was the interview translated from Chinese?

10. eaglehelang

Rajes Paul is Indian Msian, unless she studied chinese when young or of mixed parentage, I doubt the interview was done in chinese. Most probably in malay, like with TBH, then translate to english :D

11. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Shirt

Lee’s winning shirt to be auctioned off

THE shirt that Lee Chong Wei wore to play in the All-England men’s singles final match will be auctioned off and the money will be donated to an orphanage in Malaysia.
    The auction will be organised by Solibad (Solidarity Badminton Foundation) and the money will be used to fund the education for the children at the Sanctuary Care Centre in Kuala Lumpur.
    For more information, log on to the
    www.solibad.net.
    The Malaysian ambassador for the recently launched Solibad is doubles shuttler Koo Kien Keat.

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2010/3/16/sports/5870732&sec=sports

Any bidders ?

Georgie or Pemuda?

12. eaglehelang

The Star Online > Sports
    Tuesday March 16, 2010
    Misbun’s job getting tougher now
    THE job of national singles coach Misbun Sidek (pic) has become tougher with Lee Chong Wei having nailed his first All-England title.
    [​IMG]
    Misbun will now have to find new ways to spice up Chong Wei’s game for the challenges in other major tournaments this year.

“I am the happiest coach with Chong Wei’s achievement here in Birmingham. But I also realise that others have already studied his game well,” said Misbun.

“They could anticipate his shots and Chong Wei had to really raise his game higher to keep them at arm’s length.”

Chong Wei had his hands full trying to fend off the fiery attacks from Japanese Kenichi Tago in the final. He also found another youngster, Shon Wan-ho of South Korea, a tough nut to crack in the quarter-finals.
    Misbun said that it would be challenging for Chong Wei to maintain his game at the highest level after having stayed unbeaten for four months.

Chong Wei won the Super Series Masters Finals at Johor Baru last December and in January, he went on to emerge as champion in the Korean Open and Malaysian Open.

“It takes a strong person to keep winning one tournament after another. By being the favourite, he will continue to be the main target for everyone,” said Misbun.

“They will now spend more time analysing his game. I will look into strengthening his game. When one reaches a high level of play, it is not easy to improve drastically. But small changes can make a lot of difference.”

Misbun wants Chong Wei to come good in the world championships in Paris in August and the Guangzhou Asian Games in November.
    Chong Wei is also heavily relied on in playing the lead role in the Thomas Cup Finals, which will be held at the Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil from May 9-16.

For now, Misbun has withdrawn Chong Wei from the Swiss Open, which begins on Wednesday in Basel.
    Chong Wei will arrive home at 3pm today at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA).

http://thestar.com.my/services/printerfriendly.asp?file=/2010/3/16/sports/5870731.asp&sec=sports

13. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

cuz LD didn't play the final??? LOL

And so are the people who always question about the matching fixing, they get shut up right away after Bao defeated LD. LOLOL.

14. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

what about that?;);)

15. george@chongwei

Though his English are not so good as he is not english ed..

But who cares?:D His name is already in the record book.. as the 100th all england badminton championships:)

16. george@chongwei

But according to Thestar, its 3pm reaching KLIA?:D:D
    Agree.. even some of them dare to make 'whitewash' thread and so on;)
    Where are they now?:rolleyes: They should at least congrats LCW for winning the 100th ae open ..:p:cool::rolleyes:

17. george@chongwei

That's surely a very very good article written by rajes paul about the interview with chong wei. Really worth my time reading it.:D;)

18. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Sadly, one got banned but if he were here, I am sure he will congratulate LCW. He is a gentleman.

19. george@chongwei

If he is still there, that will makes things worse. No matter Mas win or lose;)

20. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Hahaha....Helang knows who are they....?? :D:D