Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Fact or Fiction?

Though intriguing and plausible, I also remember sometime ago where during an interview LCW was asked what happens when they bump into each other (during the time they were allegedly separated), LCW answered that WMC just walked the other way as if he did not existed. Remember also the time when WMC publicly confirmed they were no longer an item. All these to play a 'pretend' separation? Still it could be true, but a tad too much for me just to get the media off their backs.

2. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Use backhand service is overrated

I feel the use of backhand service is overrated in men's singles. Yes I agree that one of the greatest advantage of backhand service is that the racket head is much faster to be ready for the return shot.

I feel LCW should incorporate and interchange the backhand and forehand service into his game, thereby giving variation and slight advantage over your opponents reading your boring and predictable backhand service. Yes I agree the backhand flip service to the baseline is very effective, but how often? The key point here is 'variation' and 'interchange'. :cool::cool:

Continuous use of either style is ineffective also.

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Let the mind games begin

Lee's Beijing experience vital in mental war with Lin

by Dan Guen Chin
    04:46 AM Jul 19, 2012

SINGAPORE - One of the most enduring images of the 2008 Beijing Olympics was Malaysian badminton star Lee Chong Wei looking crushed after his lopsided loss to China's Lin Dan in the men's singles final.

Lee entered the final carrying his country's hopes of a first Olympic gold in badminton.

But he was a bundle of nerves before the clash. He slept poorly the night before, and had even lost his appetite. He eventually was beaten 21-12, 21-8 by Lin, and ended up making a tearful public apology.

Lin and Lee, as the No 1 and 2 seeds, respectively, are tipped to meet again in the final at the London Games.

Since Beijing, Lee has beaten Lin four times in nine tournaments. Their last encounter was at this year's All-England final when Lee retired from a shoulder injury while down a game and trailing 2-6 in the second.

The question now is whether Lee has overcome his mental block against the Chinese star. Frederick Tan, Lee's former sports psychologist, believes that Lee's loss in Beijing was a major turning point in his mental fortitude.

"I was by his side after the loss to Lin. He was shattered," said Tan, 50, who worked with Lee until last year.

"All he could say was 'I am so tired'. The mental strain was evident. So in a way, the defeat in Beijing will prepare him for the battle in London.

"Now he knows what it takes to rise to the occasion. He is more matured now as a person and player, and it will serve him well."

Indeed, Tan thinks Lin, who wants a second Olympic gold to retire with a bang, will be under more pressure in London.

"Maybe Lin has the slight edge on the court as the record shows, but he now knows that Lee has the game to take him on and beat him," said the former director of the Penang Sports Council who is now working in Sarawak.

However, Tan believes Lee must block out memories of the ankle injury he came down with during the Thomas Cup finals in May, which sidelined him for three weeks, and threw a spanner in his preparations for the Olympics.

He believes the Malaysian star will be reminded of his injury by rivals and media at the London Games, and said: "I worry over how he will respond to it.

"My message to him is forget about the ankle injury. Treat it as something which never happened. Worrying about it will not help you."

The other thing that Lee must tune out is Lin's killer pre-match stare during the customary pre-match handshake at the net.

"That is his signal that he is ready for the fight and that he means business," said Tan.

"I told Lee before he left for London last week that he must stick to his daily pre-game routine which he has been doing for years, like his meal times, his warm-up sessions and the final relaxation period where he puts on his earphones and tunes everything out."

[​IMG]

The question now is whether Malaysia's Lee Chong Wei has overcome his mental block against the Chinese star, Lin Dan. REUTERS​

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    It doesn't appear that Dan Guen Chin has any confidence in LCW.
    :):):)

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    He is no coach, just a reporter.
    But how many of us really think that LCW can win the gold medal?

Maybe a Poll by BC on "Who will win gold at the Olympics" in all the 5 events will be interesting!

6. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
  7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Yes, they were posted before; They were the photos taken weeks/months ago before LCW was injured.
    ;););)

#8347 chris-ccc, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  8. flite

flite Regular Member

Maybe because this Dan preferred the other Dan since both have a similar character in their names. The difference is this Dan do all the talking outside of the court.:D

Back to the Olympics, the medal contenders for the MS are very much about the same. Favorites being favorites, dark horses remains as dark horses and the rest unmentioned.

The only changes this time around is LCW might not be on the podium.:rolleyes:

9. Granum

Granum Regular Member

Haha if LD has a killer pre-match stare..what do we call LCW's super aggressive game stare?

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Have read this thread? :D:D:D

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...Olympics-Mens-Singles-Gold-Medal-winning-odds

Soon, I will be placing a dollar or 2 on some players offered by BET365.

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Gold medal will earn $600K in gold..(related to earlier post)

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...arn-600k-in-gold/story-fncvqayt-1226424058334

[​IMG]
    AFP
    July 12, 2012 6:20AM

ANY Malaysian who wins a badminton gold medal at the London Olympics will also receive a gold bar worth more than $600,000.

Andrew Kam, the owner of a gold mine and the Kuala Lumpur Racket Club, has made the offer only to badminton players as he loves the sport.

Malaysia has yet to win a gold medal since it began competing in Olympics in 1956, and its only four medals have all come from badminton: Two silvers and two bronzes.

In challenging Malaysia's six-strong badminton team with the offer of a 12.5 kilogram gold bar worth 2 million ringgit ($613,000), Mr Kam said, "I can produce gold, I believe they too can produce gold."

He said the bar will be shared equally if the badminton players win more than one gold medal.

Malaysia's best prospect, Beijing Games silver medallist Lee Chong Wei, said he's held gold bars in his hand before.

"I hope the second time I hold it, it will be mine," Chong Wei quipped.

Any Malaysian gold medallist in London stands to be well rewarded financially, as the national sports scheme and a furniture company are each offering 1 million ringgit to gold-medal winners.

Olympic Council of Malaysia secretary Sieh Kok Chi didn't believe the private financial incentives added any more pressure on the Malaysian team.

"Most of them are seasoned campaigners," he said. "I believe they will not compete for money but they will do it for the pride of the country. Money is not everything."

12. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    To a professional baddy player, money is not everything, it is the only thing

13. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Well, LCW should be glad Fred is no longer his sports psychologist. LD has a killer stare? LD always has that gaze, it s dangerous to have an adviser who misreads and thinks his former charge has not made progress with his guidance. Fear of ankle injury again? LCW has options. The worst that can happen is if he gets injured again, his gold is gone for good and he just retires for good or gets sidelined for another six months. On the other hand, if he really wants the gold, he has to believe that his ankle is BETTER than before because of the magic of advanced medical treatment. And that perhaps because of being out of tournaments, his mind and body are getting the deserved rest so he will return to battle hungry for the ultimate prize. And he does not have to play his A game to win. He just has to focus on deactivating his opponents A game and not allowing them to play their A game. That way, if his opponents have been rote training for his A game, it would be out of syllabus and they would mentally collapse from confusion.

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

#8354 ctjcad, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  15. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    let the battle begins. ;)

16. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Uncle, in case you forgot, for LCW, money is not everything, esp after that case where his dad supposedly wanted to jump off Penang bridge. And he & WMC's relationship, they broke up after he got the 2008 silver, not before. Choo2 doesnt seem to be the type of gal who wants fame & fortune, they were dating when LCW was a skinny unknown youngster. The shot to stardom was rumored to be part of the reason for tbe break-up .;)
    Why they patch up, dunno lah. After so many years together, perhaps found that no other can understand each other as well

#8356 eaglehelang, Jul 21, 2012
  17. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    I dunno, these are pro players playing badminton as a profession, not recreational sport, there is so much time to make it before they overstay the welcome mat, some have long career, so short and got booted out, as Lombardi of USA Football fame said.....that is the only thing. What happened to his dad is unfortunate and sure we do not wish on anyone but separate the 2, winning translate to money, fame, pride to MAS, and so on...As for Miss Wong and Dato, I am too old and tired to understand, I leave that to you...hahaha!!

18. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Monday, we know the draw....

19. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    I have posted before that some players are best suited when pressure is high and some are not, e.g. LCW. I remembered in 2006 when LM left and LCW was in most people mind was out of form and 'should' retired, he played in SO and won and started his comeback. I have said LCW played too much, that to get the rest and now, not expected to win OLY or even make the final or SF, that plays to his advantage. I pick LD to win but LCW is dangerous this time, and if LCW wins, I am not surprised. That is why I let the 2 BCers in another post pick 2 players except LCW to win OLY. Still, the draw, come Monday, Monday, put CJ in LD half and that would be perfect or am I asking too much?

#8359 OneToughBirdie, Jul 21, 2012
  20. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant