Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I don't think it is unreasonable to ask as an initial question. He might not know the severity. He might have heard ACL instead of MCL. Everyone there is using English as a second language.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

What has that got to do with it?

buibui2 likes this.
  3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Where did you see that stated?

http://www.thestar.com.my/sport/bad...-want-chong-wei-and-frost-to-patch-things-up/

It doesn't imply that to me. However, the last sentence is telling me something. There is a definite clash of styles.

I know for Danish people, they are very, very direct in communication. Very different from Chinese/Asian style. Sometimes Danes can say a joke without smiling as part of their way of being funny just as an example of how different they can be.

But, Morten Frost has a job to do. If I recall correctly, he left BAM previously because of too much interefence with his job. It also took some time to persuade him to come back to help BAM - no doubt, he would only come back if he was given an assurance of less intereference. Given that he has steered BAM through an unstable period of coach turnover and given BAM its most successful Olympic medal haul, who do we think holds Malaysian badminton better for long term interests at present moment?

#12683 Cheung, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    buibui2 and justinloong like this.
  4. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

#12684 Nine Tailed Fox, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    volcom likes this.
  5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Can you provide the url for this? Thanks

6. visor

visor Regular Member

http://www.thestar.com.my/sport/bad...st-wishes-feud-with-chong-wei-did-not-happen/

Frost wishes feud with Chong Wei did not happen

KUALA LUMPUR: “I wish that all this did not happen.”

This is the reaction from Morten Frost after Lee Chong Wei revealed his disappointment with the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) technical director.

“There is no doubt that I wished all this did not happen but I still think it’s not the right time to comment.”

“I’m employed by BAM and obviously I’ve to talk to the officials involved.

“Hopefully they will come up with a solution to solve this matter.

“When you work for someone, you don’t go out and make personal statements.

“I’ve given my side of story and see where it goes from there.”

Yesterday, Frost met up with BAM president Tan Sri Mohd Al-Amin Abdul Majid and also their secretary Datuk Ng Chin Chai and general manager Lawrence Chew.

Read more at http://www.thestar.com.my/sport/bad...chong-wei-did-not-happen/#l3V6lJmhEOOeJgKk.99

7. visor

visor Regular Member

http://www.thestar.com.my/sport/bad...-want-chong-wei-and-frost-to-patch-things-up/

It's best to move on

KUALA LUMPUR: The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) has told Lee Chong Wei and Morten Frost (pic) to put their egos aside and patch up their differences.

BAM’s coaching and training chairman Datuk Seri Norza Zakaria said: “This feud involves two very important people in BAM and it’s best to discuss together.

“Their problem involves training and coaching matters. We’ll get to the root of it,” added Norza, who is also the BAM deputy president.

“I’m confident that we have the situation under control. For us, this is more of a problem managing success following our good showing at the Olympics last year.”

The three-time Olympic silver medallist and world No. 1 Chong Wei opened up over his strained relationship with the BAM technical director after suffering a knee injury during training at the Academy Badminton Malaysia (ABM) on Saturday.

He tore a medial collateral ligament (MCL) when he slipped and fell on the slippery court.

Chong Wei, who is ruled out of next month’s All-England, said that Frost did not react quickly to his request to change the slippery mats on the courts. He added that he had been unhappy with some of the Dane’s previous decision on training programmes and was also hurt with his inconsiderate remarks which touched on his retirement.

The three-time All-England champion also said he was prepared to quit the national body.

Relationship between the two has been frosty for some time and Norza said he was aware of it.

“I’ve been the unofficial mediator between the two in the past,” said Norza.

“Chong Wei has his own targets while Morten has been given a key performance index (KPI) of grooming Malaysia to become the world’s top three in badminton and to win gold at the 2020 Olympics.

“Since Morten’s role is to groom players to eventually replace Chong Wei, he has been focusing more on the others than Chong Wei, which could have sparked the misunderstanding.

“For now we’ll let Chong Wei cool down first ... let him recover and we’ll provide him with whatever assistance he needs.

“As for Morten, we’ll have a talk with him. Maybe he’s a bit strict and his way of thinking is different from us Asians.”

Read more at http://www.thestar.com.my/sport/bad...frost-to-patch-things-up/#6tPgFIbeb3Rlz4xH.99

8. Nine Tailed Fox

The main issue for Lee Chong Wei is the separation from Iskandar Zulkarnian Zainnudin - LCW's former sparring partner. Morten Frost has done a Li Yongbo and divided Lee Chong Wei and Iskandar into two separate groups. This has hurt LCW a lot, who by the look of things, is sparring with a fringe player nowadays. While Iskandar has been paired with much better players.

Morten Frost thinks that sparring with Lee Chong Wei negatively effects Iskandar's confidence. But such a decision is a huge blow for LCW who bids to better The Chinese Legends and the Danish Army of Viktor Axelsen and O Jorgensen and the rest of Top 10 outstanding Players of the world.

As understandable by Lee Chong Wei's frustation :

"Morten does not want me to spar with the juniors( Iskandar ?), why? When I was a junior, I sparred with my seniors. He did this even before the Olympic Games," said Lee. "And why break the team into two(separation from Iskandar and other juniors?)? Won't the juniors benefit by sparring with the seniors? "Now, I've lost my patience and I'm angry ... if there's no solution, I'll quit BAM."

volcom likes this.
  9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

10. Nine Tailed Fox

Forget Rio Olympics.

These are 2017 decisions taken by Morten Frost aiming towards Tokyo Golden sweep and one man he is damn sure won't bring the gold in Tokyo is Lee Chong Wei.

In simple words, LCW is not in his plans and he will need to give all his attention in these 4 years to the Young players who he thinks will bring Gold in Tokyo.

samkool and livewire like this.
  11. Nine Tailed Fox

You just need to observe the bunch of comments he has made in the press recently. It shows he is hurt by this policy of Morten Frost.

" It will take another 30 years to replace players like me, Lin Dan, Taufik and Peter Gade."

volcom likes this.
  12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

So do you think it is unreasonable for Morten Frost to plan for 2020 without LCW?

(I am glad we sorted out your assumption with Iskander).

buibui2 likes this.
  13. livewire

livewire Regular Member

as much l love lcw... and really like to see him continue playing in every tournament... l think his done
    l mean lcw got his chances and there are all silver

it's time to move on... focus/develop on new players
    at the moment... l see some improvement in ws, md, wd, xd... although can't say the same on ms

so... yes... l'm on mf side... probably he can produce something similar to pjb :)

buibui2, volcom, justinloong and 2 others like this.
  14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Taking out the emotional outburst, why not plan for a time when LCW will retire? Of course it will be end of an era. Perhaps this is the reality that LCW is psychologically unprepared for.

buibui2, volcom, justinloong and 2 others like this.
  15. Nine Tailed Fox

I think he should tell LCW frankly.

"LCW - leave the BAM for the good of everyone. Now! "

It will be a blow to Iskandar's development if he doesn't lead Malaysia in Sudirman Cup. He needs to feel the burden of responsibility sooner rather than later.

16. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    The problem is when datuklee is within the group, more focus will be on him rather than the junior, sparring with better players don’t have to be done every day, maybe once a week will do but everyday workout should be rectifying weaknesses of players.

By separating datuklee out from the 2nd stringer like Iskandar, coaches can focus in helping Iskandar more instead.

17. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    BAM still need lcw, nobody dares to ask him out, he is BIG in Malaysia, I think it best LCW stay in BAM but less focus should be on him. Like my fren, Ron said once KKK/TBH left BAM, we got GVS/TWK !

buibui2 and volcom like this.
  18. visor

visor Regular Member

That's probably MF's plan, but egos are clashing in the process.

buibui2 likes this.
  19. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i'm pretty sure the slipperiness comes from the mat material, not a liquid. victor sponsor's team malaysia so i would guess they provide the court mats for training as well. setting aside the spat between lcw & frost, if i were the head of equipment for victor, i'd be re-evaluating the material & manufacturing of the mats.

are the korean and pilipino teams slipping as well? i haven't heard anything so far. victor sponsors those teams as well.

20. visor

visor Regular Member

Slipperiness can come from many possibilities, like dust from renovation/construction of the place. Or perhaps new mats must be wiped first before use, but it was not done.