Lee Chong Wei is out!

Discussion in 'World Championships 2009' started by badders2006, Aug 14, 2009.

1. geebees90

geebees90 Regular Member

Student
    Thatssssssssss unbelievable....I don't say that Sony is not that good, but LCW was far better than him, Sony is not that difficult player, If you look at his game, he just picks up the shuttles, He doesn't have very deceptive or smashing game.....I didn't see the match but I feel LCW made alot of mistakes, Maybe it was pressure of his Last World Championships loss to Sony.........in Badminton a loss matters alot, It always has its own pressure............

2. sysoh

sysoh Regular Member

Senior Software Engineer
    I am a Singaporean now and I am always thankful to Singapore as Singapore is a meritocracy society. Anyway, I still think that SBA should select Kendrick Lee for OG08 as his ranking was far better than RS at that time. Probably the SBA was too "kiasu" at that moment. I do not deprive the right for imported players to represent the country, however, public emotion should be taken care. It cannot be denied that many immigrants still have strong emotion attached to their original country such as myself as by fact it is our root.
    You are right that this is not the thread for this. It is just that the thing that you discussed attracted me to this topic.

3. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Yes, stop ....discussing a very sensitive issue for Singaporean....:)

4. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

:D:D....bananakid's intention is to be famous like you George, so can make John Burgess to at least mention his name in the final.......:rolleyes:...:D:D

Good try...bananakid...:D

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Quite true..

..Sony actually wasn't all that impressive in his match vs. LCW. All he did was simply trying to keep up with LCW and let LCW make the mistakes himself. LCW's unforced errors in the 1st & 3rd games essentially doomed him.

6. badders2006

badders2006 Regular Member

Just saw the match on www.badmintonfreak.com (great site btw)

OK, first thing i want to say is, people need to give more credit to Sony.

If the match had to be summed up in one sentence, SONY was simply better than LCW.

And in that third set, particularly towards the second half when Sony raced ahead, Sony just destroyed LCW. Going for the quick, around-the-head cross court smash which often left LCW just standing on the spot.

Earlier in the third set, LCW tried to play more patient, but it did nothing. So he tried to end the points quicker, and yet still the shuttle came back everytime. LCW threw everything at Sony, but Sony just had an answer to everything. Moreover, Sony found the line far more often than LCW, who was often unlucky to have his shots land just mm wide.

Congrats to Sony. Heart-wrenching for LCW.

I do feel for LCW a bit. His post-match interview indicated he now wanted a break from the sport, to re-assess his objectives and decide whether he wanted to continue playing or not...

So long now he has been saying "my goal is the Olympics/AE/WC..." and for so long he has failed to deliver. Time hasn't run out yet, but it's not going to get any easier at 26/27 years old...

7. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    I don't think Chong Wei will quit badminton due to the financial benefits. Furthermore, he is still playing his best badminton and no one in Malaysia can even come close touching him! BAM will not allow him to quit, period.
    Yes, we are all disappointing with his inability to win the big one but which Malaysian in history has achieved more than him? Chong Wei is still the main man for us.
    Looking into the future, what I think Chong Wei can do is be more picky and selective on tournament participation, don't over-exposed and continue to develop more different playing styles as his current styles have been well study by many. Make good use of whatever tools available, Hendrawan is here now and request him as one of the coaching staff and learn something from the former world champion.
    Lin Dan is the sole true top player in the world and there's no shame for Chong Wei unable to measure up against him, who can anyway?
    Keep you chin up and we all is still your solid supporters.

8. badders2006

badders2006 Regular Member

agreed LCW is malaysia's best hope, noone else comes remotely close and BAM won't let him quit (nor do I think he will anyway)

also agree it would be good idea to change his approach so he doesn't overplay so that he stays fresh for the big ones. but maybe LCW is the kind of player who needs a lot of matches , because fitness isn't an issue for him IMO.

It jst seems, come the Majors, he will either be beaten by LD or someone else who will be playing the match of their life on that day. LCW says he is unlucky - to an extent I agree. But that is the nature of knock out tournaments, the better player ON THE DAY wins.

9. Lefty

Lefty Regular Member

Sales
    Did anyone notice that LCW twisted his ankle in early game 1?

After the twist he slowed down significantly.

That's the only reason.

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Remember Jason this so-called sensitive issue can backfire, just like LCW's visit to see his ex-guru had backfired! :rolleyes:

11. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    You say the same thing as I said before regarding the financial benefits cos' that is his main bread and butter, the 'shops' (as Limsy mentioned in another post) is a derivative of his baddy income.
    On 'which Malaysian in history has achieved more than him', that is debatable since Datuk has never bagged the big majors but then the OLY silver is the best MAS has achieved in MS todate and on the other hand, OLY does not exist in previous era.
    I concur Datuk is the among the best MS in the world, and if he exits now, who then to play LD and CJ, and provide the competitive entertainment for baddy fans. Baddy like table tennis which is totally dominated by CHN will be heading into a bleak future. A baddy fanatic MAS has only a LCW. Come to think about it, MAS has the best coaches but playerwise is a different story and HH could still be the 2nd best MS in MAS and that is not a good sign.

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Really??..

- Which part of game 1?
    - Was he noticeably limping after that?
    - Was he hampered from doing his jumpsmashes, court movements?

13. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    well,he is in the list of top 100 great malaysian list that released this month by goverment.:)

anyway,i wont read all the post in this thread.

only thing i want to say is
    there are no one on this earth will be more disapointed than lcw himself after the defeat in quater final.
    any kind of debate and discussion cant help him anyway.
    and this is not the 1st time he failed
    nothing to blame for the defeat.
    he had all he COULD had,but that is just not enough to win a major title.
    as simply as that.:)

14. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

I dont think so.........LCW didnt complaint about it after match....:)

Yse, it happened in 1st mgame............twisted during retrieving a left hended shot from SDK.....GC did mentioned it during the match.....but it looked OK after that.....;)

15. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Its different uncle Loh..! When some people brings up some sensitive issue which not suppose to....sure there is backfire. :cool:

LCW went to Kor as part of preparation with ex guru....is an good effort to be more prepared for WC, even misbun didnt feel anything wrong with that........although no gurantee to success in wc but it still an effort from LCW....so there's no such thing as backfire in this case....:)

We certainly would encourage a player to be creative, to try new things, and not worry about so call backfire....;)

16. avionics

avionics Regular Member

The signs are worrying!

Yet, the signs are worrying! I personally think that LCW skills and techniques are not the problem. Hopefully LCW can comeback mentally stronger from his long needed break.

#196 avionics, Aug 17, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  17. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Hiyaa uncle, I already mentioned 2X, LCW went to Korea also got another purpose. :D
    And 'sensitive issue' in Msia can mean really sensitive issue, the type that can land one in ISA arrest if discussed in public (that's what I mean when I use the term) - LCW going Korea not in that category :p

18. chen0019

chen0019 Regular Member

I was expecting LCW to win, LD has won too many titles...

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    As a top professional that can never be a good reason to let someone win. :rolleyes:

20. ericmeiguo

ericmeiguo Regular Member

the same logic is that badminton becomes boring because chinese team dominates.