Leg exercises for Badminton..

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ErrBerr, Apr 17, 2005.

1. ErrBerr

ErrBerr Regular Member

Student
    Hey guys.. I need some help/adivce in regards to developing my leg muscles. I'm assuming that the main leg muscles that are used in the game of badminton are the ones of the quadricep.. :confused:

Could you guys give me some exercises that I could do to 'tank up' my legs? Currently to work on my thighs I only go for jobs/runs.. At the school gym, I used to do leg extensions alot and they were really good.. But I don't have a benchpress at home.. so :(..

In the past at school, I've also done other stuff like suicide shuttles and regular sprints.. But there's nowhere around my area that I can do these.. Unless I wake up really early and do them on my road.. Tried 'frogjumps' as they're commonly called.. But they're just not for me..

At home, I don't have any gym equipment apart from barbells and a tredmill.. Any advice would be great! Thanks a mill.! :cool:

2. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

If you're at the gym, you should try these:
    Squats, leg press, leg extension, leg curl and lunging with weights. Toe raise/heel raise are also very good exercises.

At home, you can also do lunging with those dumbells. Also you should buy skipping ropes and do as much double step skipping as you can. Theyre good to build your feet's bounce and your wrists' rotational fluency and speed.

3. aznxdotcom

aznxdotcom Regular Member

well this is what i do pretty much everyday.. (we train in basketball courts)

start off with about 15 minutes of jogging , then about 10 sprints ( back and forth), then 10 sideways ( back and forth) then 10 footwork ( back and forth) then we do a wall sit for 5 minutes, finish up with one lap of duckwalks..

4. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

I like doing ployometrics more instead of using weights because:
    a. They don't cost $$
    b. They make you light on ur feet
    c. They wont damage any parts of ur body

Stuff like squat jumps, burnouts and calf raises are very good for building explosiveness. I'd also reccomend u do the lunges (I dunno about the weights, never heared of doing it that way) and going in air alert.

5. frankcent

frankcent Regular Member

I have learnt some leg exercises you can do right in your bedroom.

1. lean your back against the wall and bend your knees to 90 degrees, pretending you are sitting on a chair. keep your body stationary for 1 minute and take a break for about 10~20 secs and then keep doing. 6 times are one set.

2. stand straight, put one foot in the air and lift your body using one foot but also keep the lifting leg straight, kinda like a ballat dancer, but keep your forefoot on the ground. also, put one hand on the wall to keep balance. keep doing so for 30 times, then, switch to the other foot. dont take break in between. one set contains 180 times for each foot.

I read the two on a chinese badminton forum. the first one helps you develop strong legs. the second one helps increase your initial speed. hopefully this help. I weigh 170 lbs., so both of these exercises are extremely painful when I started.:)

6. ErrBerr

ErrBerr Regular Member

Student
    Hey.. thanks for the info! :cool: But just a question.. what are 'ployometrics'? soz for the noobness.. :crying:

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    That's an isometric exercise called the wallchair. It really strengthens the legs and helped elevate knee problems.

A good one a friend taught me was Stuttering. Not the verbal kind:p. Basically, you bounce rapidly as fast as you can on your feet (inchs off the floor) for 10 sec minimum. Alternate skipping your feet, not all at once. Do a 3 setter non-stop with a few sec breaks of slower stuttering in between sets. It really helps with balance if you spread your arms as well. IMO, it's much harder than skipping ropes.

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Plyometrics... or agility exercises.