let's together answer : what is the ideal tension?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by kwun, Nov 14, 2003.

1. calvinlgoh

calvinlgoh Regular Member

Student
    anywhere from 24 - 29 should be good... hahhaha... i cant help but add that its based on your personal preference...hahahahah.... oh well...

my 4 rackets are strung at 25, 29, 29, 29...

calvin

2. - 73* -

- 73* - Regular Member

my racquets are strung at 23 (ti5) and 25 (mp99)..
    it suits me pretty well

3. okoman

okoman Regular Member

Ideal Tension

I don't know what machine you guys are stringing on and what type of clamping you are doing, but your answers seem awfully high to me. With a drop weight stringer with good clamping system I would recommend around 17-18 lbs for beginners(15- 16 lbs for women beginners). Around 20 for intermediate club players who play a couple of tourneys a year. And for everyday players, whatever they feel hits best for them, assuming they know that a racquet can collapse at stringing 20+ lbs if there is any kind of hairline fracture. As for factory tensions I believe Yonex and Black Knight string at about 17 lbs factory tension. It was not long ago that the pros would string at 25# maximum. The tensions people want is definitely an EGO thing. Most people can't hit like a pro so why should they prescribe to PRO tensions. Just my opionion.

Okoman

4. okoman

okoman Regular Member

Racquet tension cont.

I almost forgot. I string my racquets at 19.5 lbs mains by 20.5 lbs cross.

5. SmashingPower

SmashingPower Regular Member

student, but desperately to get retired
    Canada. China. Sweden. I do live in many places, y
    15? 20? 30? does it really apply for everyone to have the "ideal" tension??
    I guess not. what really matters would probably be the sound of the smash u get out of those strings.

a nice big smack sound does it. like when u are slapping a chubby guy with a huge piece of cardboard.

21 works for me pretty well.

6. Jumpalot

Jumpalot Regular Member

I played water polo in high school and always had a strong arm. When I first started playing badminton I found the tension made no difference since I had tons of power. I recall the racket I was using was heavy( aluminum frame 2 pc racket) and the string was very lose... 18lb. but I was able to crush several birds each night ( some come from mis hits. but you get the idea ) . When I hit a hard smash there was alot of BASS in the POP... more likea heavy tennis serves. Anyways, I havent been able to reproduce those hits nowadays with tighter string tensions (26lb) but it could just be that I am not as strong since I dont lift weights anymore.

As far as string tension, I think if you have great racket speed, you will be able to hit a hard smash with a high tension string ( racket speed is important since with high tension the bird does not stay on the string very long ) But you can also achieve the same smash with slower racket speed + more arm power + a heavier racket and low string tension ( bird stays on the string longer thus more power is transfered ?? ). So once again, there is no ideal tension, its different for everyone. One must take into other factors such as Racket weight, arm strength, swing radius, and the flex on the racket.. Bottom line is, if you have the right technique, you can swing the racket fast, and that translates into fast hard shots. I mean think about it, how heavy is a badminton racket ?? Its only 80g to 95g. Your arm is much heavier and its more important that you swing your arm the right way than the 2-3 lb of string tension.

TIP... BADMINTON is a technical and mental sport more than physical. The footwork and correctness in your swing will most likely determine how hard you can hit... physical comes in play when you want to be the best player in your club : )

7. mayaN

mayaN New Member

ideal tension

So what do you think is the ideal tension for an armortec 700?

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    between 15 and 35 lbs

9. michaelchen_SH

michaelchen_SH New Member

I am so confused what is difference between high and low tension
    why professional players always choose high tension?high tension will make the feeling so hard and without any elasticity.

10. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    They make use of the small sweet spot with the greatest of efficiency. Since when have you last heard a pro playing with a misshit?? Almost never. All the hits are solid even though there is a smaller sweet spot in the higher tension strung racquet.

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    when you reach to the professional level, the answer will come to you so dont worry about it. ;)

12. michaelchen_SH

michaelchen_SH New Member

then i know what i can do now is practise..............

13. Pebulutangkis

Pebulutangkis Regular Member

Student
    ok.. i like mine 27-29.. high tension.. with this kind of tension i find that if i mishit then it's a goner but the key to using this tension is to hit the sweet-spot... it will definitely produce better power.. also, with this tension strokes must be harder than with lower tension.. if u hit too softly then the shot will be weak... so that's why the pro's like high tension, cause they can hit at the sweet-spot most of the time, hardly any mishit...

14. brandonwong

brandonwong Regular Member

CRM Executive
    I dont know about others but i more confortable with the tension between 25-27 .... more powerful for smashing i guess.....

15. stevesim89

stevesim89 Regular Member

student
    mp99 with bg80 at around 25 I think.

My stringing guy told me that ususlly other stringers string at around 20 when teh customers do not specify the tension, but he said that he strings more tight than others.

16. RealMad

RealMad Regular Member

This is what I don't get. In tennis, lower tension = more power, less control. I actually liked stringing my tennis rackets low because I liked the feeling of the ball staying on the racket longer. It was easier to impart more spin on soft shots. Problem with the low tension racket in tennis though is that you have to keep swinging at an even, steady pace or else you'd airmail your strokes out of the park. This is why McEnroe was viewed as a genius for his remarkable control (net or groundstroke) over a racket that was strung at a ridiculously low 50 pounds. In tennis, even beginners string higher.

Spin is largely irrelevant in badminton and a lot of players like the crisp hit associated with a high tension racket but am I wrong in assuming that, in badminton, a lower tension would give you a more powerful smash? I assume that control for net play would be an issue but let's leave that out of the question for the time being.

17. RealMad

RealMad Regular Member

Sorry, five pages into this forum I found a rather lengthy discussion on the subject. That's more than enough to read, even though it seems like no one came up with a definitive answer.

18. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Personally for me 30lbs and above. This is my usual now.

19. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Just want to add, it is harder for me to work with tensions lower than what I'm used to.

20. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I have been trying several tension sets in past 3 months, now I am using BG-66 at 21x23, which has been very good for me. 20x22 also works OK for me as well, but I think 21x23 works the best for me (at this moment.)