Lets vote for New or Old point system.

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by terry, Sep 20, 2005.

?

Which scoring system do you prefer?

1. Old 15x3 service based scoring

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. New 21x3 rally based scoring

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    NSS poll is rising to 18% as at 8-Oct-2006

Hi taneepak and FEND.,

Perhaps what you 2 are saying is true.

The poll has risen from 13% to 18% since 2 months ago.

Cheers... chris@ccc

2. 2NDround

2NDround Regular Member

As I have said before, if you wait 20 years it will be 100%:D :(

3. george333

george333 Regular Member

Associate Director
    I don't remember what I voted for at the beginning of this thread, but since then, I have played the 15x3 and the 21x3 scoring formats, the 21 is less gruelling and physically demanding, and most likely faster, but i seem to actually like the new scoring system. I think that the rules are easier to comprehend for beginners since they tend to forget who served or when they get points. Also, i think that players can last longer so more Lin Dan and LCW!

4. Chai

Chai Regular Member

import export

You could still play 3x15 in an official tournament if the organiser chooses to use the 3x15 system instead. NSS contains 3x21, 3x15 format and others.

5. Pball

Pball Regular Member

LOL!!! oh please.....

6. K'Dash

K'Dash Regular Member

The problem for me with the NSS, is that it forced alot of pressure if it was match point for me and the opponent. Also, I was suprised how fast the match finishes with the NSS, and I had used less effort compared to when I played with the OSS...

7. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    Er...statistically, for this poll, it's impossibly 'cause people have already voted for OSS, so no matter how much people vote for NSS, it can't reach 100%. But overall, yes, I do believe that in 20 years, most ppl will be used to the NSS...if it's still in place then. They might implement a NNSS (Newer New Scoring System) by then, and so it goes on and on...

True, NSS is much faster, the possible rallies for the NSS is merely 59 rallies (30-29), while with the OSS, theoretically, you could possibly reach an infinite number of rallies. Match point is much more important if you're losing now, you can't afford to lose ANY rally no matter what. In the old one, if you were losing, as long as your opponents didn't win while they served, you could breathe a sigh of relief.

I guess it just depends on personal preference. Personally, I don't mind doing it either way, except for NSS doubles, which I haven't really taken the time to learn the serving rules of yet.

8. boodyboy

boodyboy Regular Member

sports addict
    personally i would love to have a mixture of the new rally system and the tennis system. Rally style to win a game. Win 6 games to win a set in a best of 3 sets match. But like mentioned earlier, not many broadcasters in asia are willing to show such long matches.

i know it would seem very tiring but they could have breaks just like tennis so that the quality of the match doesn't suffer.

Just an opinion though

9. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

Yes Tennis scoring is perhaps the most mentally challenging and dramatic scoring system in any sport.... but can you imagine if they just played 21x3 like badminton ... blagh, thats a race to 21 points, thats not a scoring system at all, its like something a 12 year old came up with. The solution is games for less points but more sets, this also would make badminton more dramatic and allow more possiblity of comebacks and sways in momentum.

Wow your lucky your group isn't conforming like everyone else is unfortunately, and Congradulations on that decision :D

The majority of people are still only using NSS because they are being told they have too... kinda sad since most of us aren't being payed to play this game, we should be able to play it however we find most enjoyable and how we believe it was intended to be played.

#789 wedgewenis, Nov 11, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  10. stealthnat

stealthnat Regular Member

old is better. if you make too many mistakes puff!! game over

11. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    and if it's match point for your opponent, you serve to the net :crying: :mad: that's a very bad way to lose :cool: :crying:

12. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

LOL yeah I've done that, it's sooo frustrating! But I guess an error is an error :(.

13. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    I did that too :crying: I was very angry at myself :crying: :mad: it'll never happen again :p lol :D

14. Dropit.Smashit

Dropit.Smashit New Member

i like the new system, but i found the old suited my game better. Im a pretty slow starter and usually lose a few points at the start, also having a point evry rally has improved my serve and i feel my game has more urgency. so i'll vote old even though i like the new,i dont undertand what was wrong with the system in the first place....

15. 2NDround

2NDround Regular Member

That is precisely why so many people are against the new system. There is nothing wrong with it. The reason for the change has nothing to do with the game at all.

16. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I vote for the new system.

The change of scoring system has not affected the game for me, except that it makes service at the start of the game fairer, especially in singles.

In singles, the person who serves first had a distinct advantage under the old system. That doesn't seem right to me.

17. jerby

jerby Regular Member

back again..and I must say I'm completly adapted to the new scoring...
    my vote was against..but not anymore.

I'd almost go as far as sayign it's "better" than the old scoring...for me the game ahs become a lot more intense

18. Dandirom

Dandirom Regular Member

Computer Related
    for me, i agree about the singles scoring. But with doubles, I still prefer the comebacks afforded by the old system -- of course, since i've been playing doubles using the new system for a year now I don't think my stamina could allow me to play more than a few matches straight using the old system. hehehe

19. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    mmm... has the opinions of many changed during the new scoring system period?

20. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

One way to find out: close this poll and start a new one.

Personally, I still have no feeling either way about the serve-based or rally-based scoring system; but, the way the points are structured I feel that the men's game has become too short in general. In a way it's become, pardon the expression, sissified. Claims like "players can cover up to 4 miles in a match" is no longer true. Well, most probably, anyway. I haven't done a detailed analysis or anything.

IMHO, if we're to stick with rally-scoring, it'd be better if the system for MS and MD is 3x25 with no upper limit in case of deuce. It'd allow for longer, more physically demanding and potentially dramatic matches in case of two well-matched opposing sides.

#800 Quasimodo, Dec 11, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.