Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

That's why, imho, PJB cannot compare with LYB who demands from his charges that any tournament/title won without Lee CW's participation doesn't count. Which is also why I believe someone like Poul-Erik Hoyer Larsen was elected president of BWF because he looks at the large picture and puts aside his own feelings and preferences; incidentally, he is also recently appointed an IOC member.

Anyway, let's not rehash this issue here and direct him and other like-minded people to our relevant thread and poll result, i.e. http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/126864-LIN-DAN-got-wild-card , http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...ARD-to-the-2013-World-Championships-Yes-or-no

2. Woffle

Woffle Regular Member

Student
    I think this is also because if LD wins another WC, he will break PJB's record of 5 WC won:D

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I won't be surprised if Lin Dan skips this year's WC. As for the Asian Games, I think the qualification quota is 2 players per nation in each category, not necessarily based on world ranking (that's why WYH's place though she was WR1 was taken by WSX) but picked by the respective national sports body, if I'm not wrong.

I think it more likely for Lin Dan to participate in the Asian games than the WC as the former is more important for national glory than the latter. My understanding is that Lin Dan's comeback in March is to prepare for the next Olympic cycle, the WC'14 is secondary whether he is qualified or not,otherwise he wouldn't have extended his break another six months after the last WC; the Rio Olympics being his ultimate goal.

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    The trouble is BWF is not clear with their decisions

It would be great if Lin Dan could participate.

The trouble is BWF made no decision; as to whether our badminton should be considered as a team sport, or an individual sport.

If considered as a team sport, players should be selected by their national associations (no matter what rankings their players are placed).

If considered as an individual sport, players should be accepted only by their world rankings.

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon

Although I don't like LD much personally, in retrospect, LD vs LCW in the final of WC2013 was one of the best badminton matches in recent memory. I think it was a right decision for BWF to have granted LD the wild card.

But this year, the WC will be held in Denmark, and now there is a change of guard at the top of BWF. I don't know if LD will get wild card twice in one's career.

6. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    I am with you on your post. If LD does comes back in March, AG is his target as well as CHN's too. Agree that WC14 and these SS are secondary, LD has transformed into a gold miner/collector, it is all about OLY16's 3rd gold.
    The way LD played in WC13, he was pacing himself and played just enough to win, than the previous run-and-gun style of play that is open to injury. Smart player. But I still hope he plays WC14, go for the 6th...hoot...hoot...

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Interesting point. But PJB's 5 WC record is in MD whereas Lin Dan's is in MS, the blue riband event, no direct comparison to me.

8. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

PJB also won some in XD, am i right? He had 2 shots in one WC edition, while LD just have one.

9. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

PJB won 3 XD WC titles and 2 MD WC titles. In 1985 he won both same year, also in 1991. So he only won gold at 3 world championships. No comparison to modern day badminton and LD.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Heard that Lin Dan may start his comeback tournaments with Swiss Open GPG, Mas Open GPG in March and the rebranded and upgraded Badminton Asia Championships in April (BAC, not to be confused with the Asian Games, a multi-sport event in Incheon,Korea, from 19th Sep to 4th Oct 2014).

For a start, no Superseries tourneys as Lin Dan's ranking of 100+ (103 as of now) is too low to qualify.

11. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

if he can manage a win and a couple of runner-ups for those 3 t'ments he will be back to top30 or there about thus no more qualifications for SS.

12. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    As Arnold Schwarzenegger said 'I be back'....and LD will be back, target AG14 for sure but also WC14.

13. fauci

fauci Regular Member

I think it's purely academic to compare these two. The excitement and fantastic skills LD has created in the last decade will be remembered by people for a very long time until another super talent comes up. I'm pretty sure more people remember Zhao Jianhua than PJB, although he's only won one WC title. I think LD knows very well his status in badminton history.

14. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    It is about time for CL to carry the flag in this WC. The future of LD will depend on the outcome.

15. NemChua

NemChua Regular Member

Engineering student
    While reading some threads on the forum, i read several posts about lin dan getting back to yonex. Any informations ?

16. visor

visor Regular Member

Rumours so far, time will tell...

17. NemChua

NemChua Regular Member

Engineering student
    Some people says taht it will be with adidas... sooooo.... i guess we can just wait and see. But i think it would be far more interesting that lin dan goes back to yonex so he can have his "legendary players" yonex page. It would be SO GREAT if his special racket was.... the at700

18. Henzy

Henzy Regular Member

Quality Coordinator
    does anyone know if he's participating in the German Open?

:cool:

19. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i think he's more into his family and money, so whatever makes him more money he'll go along, just my guess. i've seen chinese articles hinting that maybe he wanted to be in show business or politics, but that's just hints because of a single picture of him shaking hands with politicians in China. but if he's won everything there is to win as far as tournaments are concerned, well i would do what it seems like he's doing right now, transitioning to another area of interest. i can see him doing movies :)

20. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    I cannot see LD not aiming for OLY16, 1 more gold and that would beam him up to the galaxy, a record impossible to beat and $$$ pouring in. He can endorse and sell anything.

Don't kid yourself, this is a game to us and big money to pro players, it is all about money. Now that LD has a family, money talk is even bigger and securing the financial future. LD is a smart cookie, he knows it is badminton that brings in all his good fortune. Without badminton, there will be no LD, no XXF, just another PLA soldier.

LD is a smart player, he is looking out at his opponents and analysing his chance of winning gold. 2.5 yrs to go to RIO, and who are LD main opponents now? LCW, older than him. Maybe CL.

For now, the gold waiting in RIO still looks very good. I watched WC13 MSF many times, if LD can play like that taking a year off, I am in total awe. It may not be the greatest performance ever from LD, but given the short preparation and not playing SS, facing an opponent who was in great form, WR1 and totally prepared for WC13, and still beat him, I ranked this match (alongside AE1990 ZJH-JS and OLY08 MSF) as the best ever comeback of all times. The focus, the theatrics, the fire in LD eyes are all still there. It is actually entertaining and quite funny to watch. I am impressed.

Now, get back to serious training and selective competition, as some said back in Mar, slowly get back into the groove, selectively play enough to get those darn points and maybe play AG, WC and for sure good old here-I-come OLY. Win the last one and LD is done. The rest will be history.

Bet of LD playing OLY16, LD would kick himself for walking away from OLY when he is still the one to beat;)

#4220 OneToughBirdie, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014