Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    But it took LD 3 sets to beat LCW, even then the result could go either way. Sure, LCW was better than in 2008, but not to throw excuse, LCW did have a tough game with DPY the night before.

LD admitted he expect to lose to LCW in WC13, at best his chances was 50-50. So, the LD in 2013 is not the best he can be, and that is obvious from the long absence, etc.

Every player has their 'best performance ever', LD would be OLY08 and to play so awesome with no visible weakness throughout the match, facing incredible pressure in front of home crowd, CHN 1st OLY it is gold or forget about it silver, having lost the previous OLY in R1, and to completely dominated LCW in OLY08 final, that was LD at his best ever.

IMO, it is not whether the LD of 2013 can beat LD of 2008, it is more like who can beat the OLY08 LD, maybe ZYH of AE90 final??? Now, that opens another can of worms and bickering.

2. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    WC2013 did not go without its share of controversy, slower birds were used, AC switched off when Lin was on the unfavorable side of the court...if these allegations were indeed true, then LD needed help to beat LCW.

OLY08 with neutral setting under observation of IOC, LD ran all over LCW, with Misbun clueless how to coach. I have seen that match over and over again, I am in awe and certainly, along with AE90 MSF, 2 of the most incredible matches ever seen.

TH in WC05 MSF would be a distant third IMO.

#4322 OneToughBirdie, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well, LCW also had an incredibly tough match against LHI in the '08 Olympics so I guess it evens out....he was definitely better in '13! Actually able to score points, not as passive, more deceptive, more constructive in defense...personally, I find it incredible how much he was able to develop as late in his career as he did. Taufik was very much on the decline at that point, and PG didn't get better anymore either (although his career ended far better than Taufik's imop).

4. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Correction: in red.

5. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Did he forced you changing hand? Are you right or left or both?

6. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    no human being can ever beat Lin Dan of OG2008 in the final.

7. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

2008 LD vs 2013 LD, probably 2008 but only because of fitness over 3 sets.

2013 LD vs 2013 LCW, arguably can go both ways.

2013 LD vs rest of the field, LD would still win.

We don't know yet what 2014 LD would be like but if it's similar to the 2013 LD, then LD would still win. His shots are too good and that coupled with his mental strength/aura, I dare say even 2014 CL would lose. Would 2014 LCW beat 2014 LD? It's hard to say. It's quite obvious LCW's level has dropped over the past 12 months in terms of fitness and he's not moving as well on court anymore.

8. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Agreed. Lin Dan performance in 2008 Beijing Olympic Games is really something. At that match, he was 2 level higher than LCW, IMO.

9. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    IMO, the most striking weapon LD had in OLY08 was his anticipation, knowing where and when the birds crossed the net and LD would be there waiting. I saw the same anticipation from ZJH in AE90. With anticipation, and all those speed, power, defense, offense, mental, etc. etc., I don't think anyone including LD of 2013 can beat LD in OLY08. Given OLY is more significant than AE, I rate LD performance in OLY08 the greatest game ever played, just ahead of AE90 MSF.

10. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    He didn't force me as such, but taught me to think that the right hand should be used - as thats what he thought everyone uses. I'm right handed only now. Although with practice I'm sure I can relearn to use my left hand - but my age will start to work against me I'm sure!

11. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I am a right handed person, but I use left hand when using my smartphone!!

12. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    That's an interesting take on it.

But I think a 2013 LD could still be quite a handful for a 2008 LD, more so than a 2008 LCW. Mainly because he is playing more intelligently and patiently than before. Look at 2012 LD in the OG, he adopted the different style of play against LCW and still beat him.

Yes, this may be a result of his age, fitness and the need to protect his body etc, but this also suggests to me that his experience plays a big part. He is a much wiser player, he knows how to control the game economically and without exposing himself.

It would be an interesting question to ask LD himself as to whether he thinks he would beat his former self!

13. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    LOL! Yeah, me too, I am right handed but I hold my coffee mug with my left hand. :p

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I would think it is good, even advantageous, to be ambidextrous. But, I'm too much of a right-hander whether by dint of habit or unconsciously, I'm not sure. Still I believe it is very possible to train our left hand to do as well as our right hand as our brain capacity for learning is amazing, a matter of practice and how much time and effort we are willing to put in.

However, it's easier when you're younger - I guess that's how those who lost both their hands learn to use their legs as their hands, such as playing the piano, painting,writing...the list goes on depending on each individual's needs and wants.

15. Backhand_Dave

Backhand_Dave Regular Member

My (serious) money is on adidas... ;-)

16. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Well they need him most of the other companies - so I guess they would be willing to fork out a lot of money to pry him away from LN.

17. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

ZJH : Lin Dan
    5:21, 7:21

I would bet my money on any of today's top 10 against ZJH. The game has developed quite a bit since the 90s...

18. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    From what I know, Lin Dan has already signed up with Adidas.

Legally, it is a prospective agreement.
    The tie-up cannot be announced until the expiry of the current contract with Li Ning.

I haven't been able to find out when the current Li Ning contract ends.
    However, it must be pretty soon as he is already practicing with the Adidas racquets (stripped off any identifying marks and colours).

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You said it! I was bound to secrecy by my source :( Given your last sentence, I presume you have seen the picture?

20. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    What about the rest of the Chinese squad? everyone switching to adidas? and ditching Li Ning?