Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Justin .. Thanks for clarfying this !

2. 0ozafo0

0ozafo0 Regular Member

unlike what Gill Clark was suggesting about time delaying or service fault, I'm quite certain Lin Dan was called twice on the foot fault. He does have a tendency to step on the center service line and quite clearly indicated by the umpire @6:40, and if you turn your volume up, you can actually hear in a fairly low tone the umpire saying "on the line"
    [video=youtube;e_RY7bJNoIo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_RY7bJNoIo[/video]

The controversy is actually manufactured by the misunderstanding of Gill, and she makes a great point about umpires should leave their microphones on so no one misunderstands. Frankly I wouldn't have had a clue unless I looked back at the video and turn the volume up.

3. @@@@@

@@@@@ Regular Member

not working
    Well whatever it is Lin Dan played a very good match today and lets hope that he will win again tomorrow Vs Chen Long. I believe tomorrow's men singles match will surely be very exciting to watch lol.

4. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    My apologies.
    I was wrong.

It's actually a Yonex Voltric Z Force II.
    Yonex made it in yellow specially for Lin Dan.

5. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

How do you know it's a Z-Force II? Maybe it's a new racket, especially designed for him - spec wise...

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I am pretty sure you are correct. And I think there is a language barrier with the umpire so that's why Lin Dan makes the same mistake 3 times.

The camera view doesn't show his foot position on service.

I remember watching Lin Dan on YouTube in last year's Asian Games. In that tournament, he quite clearly stands on the middle service line when serving and the umpire doesn't fault him (and he should).

7. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

i'm also convinced that they were foot faults called by the umpire.
    but if you look at the slow motion of the second fault at 4-1, that was close to the centreline but not on it, borderline at most.

in fact, that was blessings in disguise and lucky for LD that was so early on in the match. imagine if the umpire called the faults toward the end of the decider, can't see anyone can recover from that.

8. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

I know because I got someone to check.

9. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

Way more revenue coming Yonex's way, since everyone would want that special edition. It's like him and Taufik all over again with the AT900s, except this time it specifically says his name on the VTZF2. Not the best looking racket with that yellow IMO. If only they saved the red on the VT80ET for LD's signature racket instead :(

It's weird though how he's still not really endorsing Yonex's logos. Is he only signed to Yonex when he plays in China? But when he plays internationally he's sponsored by Li Ning? I don't know what Yonex's market share is in China, but it should definitely increase if LD is playing with Yonex equipment.

10. arctan27

arctan27 Regular Member

yea i dont understand why yonex chose yellow to be LD's racket colour. why not get a classic black one? that would suit his status as a classy, timeless legend. yellow is too weird.

EDIT: btw that semifinal match against JOJ was insane. noone expected him to catch up. the second half of the last match...just ask people to watch that if they ever ask why hes the GOAT.

11. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

No big deal beating JOJ, who's never won anything significant. Now if he does that against Chen Long, then it'd be something amazing.

12. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Although Lin Dan has 'returned' to Yonex, the contractual terms are extremely conditional. What complicates his individual contract is Li Ning's existing contract with the China team (of which he is still a member).

The exclusion clauses, terms and conditions are too long to list or explain here but I will provide a few examples.

On court, when playing in a BWF tournament, he has to wear Li Ning colours.
    (For example, at the Malaysia Open, he is wearing the team's Li Ning colours.)
    Additionally, when in China, he may not wear Yonex, whether on-court or off-court.

However, off court elsewhere, he wears Yonex.

If you have off-court pictures of him at the All England Open or India Open or Malaysia Open (all this year), you'd see that he is wearing Yonex. He is also permitted to wear Yonex at exhibition events or marketing events or invited events - but not in China.

Of course, he has already attended several marketing events organized by Yonex outside China. (One of these had Peter Gade and Taufik Hidayat too in attendance.)

Although Yonex is already allowed to use Lin Dan to market footwear and clothing (only outside China), they may not use him to market racquets anywhere until the team's current contract cycle with Li Ning expires.

Interestingly, although China players are required to use Li Ning clothing and footwear in BWF tournaments, the contractual requirements do not cover Li Ning racquets. In other words, Chen Long or Zhao Yunlei may use another racquet brand as long as the brand is not identifiable.

Apparently, the clause on racquets was watered down right at the start of the contract after senior players like Lin Dan and Cai Yun insisted on continuing with their preferred Yonex racquets.

As I said, this is indeed a complicated deal!

13. arctan27

arctan27 Regular Member

uve got to be joking. JOJ is the current world no2. beating him is definitely worth something. LD doesnt need to beat a world champion anw hes done it before. its the context im talking about. he was off form and not playing well for the first 2.5 sets. anyone would just give up. but LD was able to raise his game out of nowhere against a world class player. in a semifinal. thats incredible. thats legendary. it requires mental strength, stamina, tactics, skill...etc. a comeback against a top player is not easy. ur comment just shows uve never played competitive badminton before at a high level.

14. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

My comment reflects that I've been following LD for many years, and this isn't a big deal. Now LCW beating LD from 13-20 down in the 3rd set of the FINAL of Malaysia Open 2006 is a big deal.

15. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

Wow thank you very much for the contract info, where did you learn about it? It seems like the margin for profit from this contract will be narrow for Yonex as it is definitely not as much brand exposure for them that would come from other players. How likely would it be that Li Ning doesn't sign the Chinese team again though? I feel like the team would choose brand loyalty over money. I guess it all works out really well for Lin Dan.

16. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Does that confirm the long debated suspicion that LD was using a repainted AT700 when he first moved to LN?

17. 0ozafo0

0ozafo0 Regular Member

Clearly i'm not oldhand, but i'm sure if he reveals the identity of his source, he'll never get information from that source again.
    I too am curious on how someone got their hands on their contracts! It's by no means confidential but getting that information requires some influence.
    I suppose Li-Ning continued to design some player specific rackets for LD and CY, so they'd end up using LN/Kason.

18. visor

visor Regular Member

Re LD's foot faults, for someone of his elite level, it's surprising that this simple error is made... :?:

19. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

You'd think so, but actually I've seen him on numerous occasions throughout the years standing slightly on the line and not being faulted by the umpire (obviously if you're only slightly on the line, it's very difficult from the umpires chair to fault someone, especially the great Lin Dan)

20. arctan27

arctan27 Regular Member

LD still > LCW