Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Of course, it has nothing to do with who is entitled to special privileges, rights and treatments. Please read my post #7065 above.

OK, to save you the hassle, I'll copy it here:

"It's not about how many points he lost from biased serviced faults alone but the sense of being unfairly treated and targeted by the tournament officials generally, that's what he's complaining about. It is the tournament officials' bounden duty to uphold the highest professional standard and adhere to the the code of ethics to ensure a level playing field for all the players in maintaining impartiality, neutrality, and suchlike.

This is not the first time Lin Dan has spoken out, at the AE he also weighed in on the WSX's red card incident. BWF simply cannot ignore such comments coming from badminton's most iconic figure."

2. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Chen Long : " There will be no one like Lin Dan "

The World Champion admits it would be impossible to achieve the same success that Lin Dan enjoys in the major tournaments C58559.jpg

"Lin Dan debuted early and started winning early. In terms of maintaining his win rate at major tournaments, there will probably be no one like him.

"For me, as long as I achieve what I set out to win in my career, that would suffice.

"As long as I perform to the best of my abilities, I will have no regrets."

http://www.tnp.sg/sports/all-other-...ants-crowning-glory-beating-lin-olympic-final

cylhh and kwun like this.
  3. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

Anyone remember LD getting foot faulted on his serve? He didn't whine that time because it was clearly a fault.

Malaysia open has some bad memories for him too where he ended up walking straight off court if I remember right. So he can be a bad loser at times, no one is perfect.

4. VegiSmash

VegiSmash Regular Member

It is so unbecoming for such a legendary player to become.........well a whiner (sorry). Watched the video of the match, did not see anything egregious in JOJ's serve. Lin did not want to play hard enough to tackle the flat serves in the second game. Plus he was not playing well in general.

5. nthanhhai

nthanhhai Regular Member

Did JOJ get faulted today?

6. Firas

Firas Regular Member

I don't think Lin Dan gives 2 hoots about his game & loss to JOJ (& the Dane shouldn't let it go to his head either with the thought that he is now amongst the great after having 'thrashed' the Great - it is but a hollow victory in the end but for some good conversation piece at a party or campfire at most). JOJ has many a times displayed great disrespect to officials and he ain't no saint that's for sure.

I believe there is an element of truth in Lin Dan's comments or accusation at the officials. This is because even the officials; commentators; as well as some members on this forum have admitted it before. They do not wish to see any country particularly China dominate the sport because it is "UNHEALTHY" for badminton. So, Lin Dan, being the big brother of the Chinese team, needs to put this prejudice out in the open for all to see. At least, this would serve as a deterrent and timely reminder to all these indoctrinated 'Saviors of badminton' that the next time you tried to service fault or yellow card the Chinese, think again.

Lin Dan ain't no hypocrite and I admire his courage.

7. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    No, but he did not get so many chanses to serve today, maybe thats why.

kwun likes this.
  8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Fancy calling Lin Dan a whiner. Obviously you don't know him or don't know what you're talking about. He is a genuine, upright,courageous and fair-minded person who speaks his mind when necessary. What he is doing is right, justifiable and good for badminton in general, not just for CHN, so that the problem is nipped in the bud and no nation would suffer for it in future.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

First and foremost, tournament officials must be impartial. Period. If not, it will most assuredly bring disrepute to the sport and destroy the game we love so much.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

If anyone here feels that the officials were not being fair in not calling fault JOJ's serves or in giving a red card to WSX in AE, they would get better results by complaining directly to BWF.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

How do you know it's not been done ? Besides, when both WSX and Lin Dan spoke out to the press, that itself already constitute a complaint to BWF openly, instead of privately where the matter can be hushed up.

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

What if another nation starts to become dominant and the same thing happens ?

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

When not a few BCers here (mostly anti-CHN fans) and even sports commentators outside are openly and repeatedly clamouring about their wish not to see CHN dominant, and so on, I'm not the least bit surprised if some tournament officials get it into their heads to conspire against the CHN to prevent that from happening.

When a person of Lin Dan's capacity, a man of character, integrity, responsibility, publicly expressed his concerns that CHN players are unfairly treated and targeted by some tournament officials, nobody should dismiss it lightly, least of all BWF.

As it is, badminton, which has long and widely been regarded as a clean and healthy sport with an exemplary image, is beset with a number of scandals recently, from the London 2012 WD fiasco to the Thai brawl to LCW's doping incident and now Momota's illegal gambling issue, I'm sure the last thing BWF wants to have is another scandal, certainly not with the Olympics just months away.

Let us keep badminton wholesome and beautiful.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Wow. The outrage when a judge has the audacity to fault LD for his serve - which has been illegal for years, btw. And just because he made a comment that would otherwise be attributed to him being a sore loser (if he wasnt the fanboy magnet #1) it doesnt mean that Chinese players are actually judged harsher than others. I really cant agree on that point at all - I've seen Chinese players get away with ridiculous serves, I've seen them get faulted for borderline or even legal ones, I've seen umpires call faults for and against them when the net kill was perfectly legal.....in other words, I've seen them being treated just like everybody else.
    Just because they like to make every bad judgement against them about their Nation doesnt mean theyre being discriminated against.
    It means judges are humans and make errors at times.

KB@TB Em, buibui2, renbo and 6 others like this.
  15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

As I've said in my post #7065, it's not just the service fault incident that's the issue, but as Lin Dan said.... Whether Lin Dan's complaint is justified or not is for BWF to judge and deal with accordingly.

Anybody in his shoes would have deliberated carefully before he spoke, I trust he knows what he's doing. If you think you've no case, then better shut up; if you strongly believe you've a case, then weigh the issue carefully taking into account the possible consequences and act according to your principles, honestly and truthfully with no ulterior motive.

True, judges are human and make errors a times, but they too, like everybody else,can also be biased. That's why, for linejudging, we have Hawk-Eye not only to address human errors but pre-empt and rectify intentional bad calls.

As for whether Lin Dan's serve - low or flick serve ? - that you claim has been illegal for years, that's another specific charge for BWF to answer (why they let him get away with it for so long, if true).

The fact that you've seen CHN players being treated just like everybody else doesn't mean they are no cases where they are not - it's not merely a matter of opinion. Now that a complaint has been made, indirectly or officially, it is for BWF to judge it on its own merits, his being fanboy magnet No.1 is entirely irrelevant to the case.

16. visor

visor Regular Member

You didn't know his serve had always had a double action, sometimes even a triple action?

j4ckie likes this.
  17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

If you havent seen LDs double action on literally every one of his low serves (at least until 2012, after that I didnt see too much of him), you're either blind or blinded by your worship.
    I'm not saying it's a huge issue, but according to the rules it's wrong - service being initiated by the first forward movement of the racket after 'ready' position and no slowing of the racket head being allowed.
    I also never stated that him attracting fanboys like a light does moths was relevant to the case - I brought that up in relation to the reaction on BC. If LCW had made such a statement, there'd be at least 3 different LD fanboys in his thread screaming their heads off how it's all just excuses, how the better player won and how he'll never win against LD and all that stuff.

Anyhow, it's not the first time someone felt they were being treated unjustly, and it wont be the last. If I've never seen any real injustice against the CHN team, chances are it's not really a big thing, but I'm sure someone will investigate this properly.

#7157 j4ckie, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    nokh88, jma97 and FeatherBlaster like this.
  18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Always ? But you didn't say it's illegal.

If it's illegal, why didn't a single service judge fault him ? What about his numerous opponents, nobody complained or protested ? How can that be ?

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Apparently, only you guys spotted it as illegal. Strangely, none of the BWF-sanctioned judges did, nor did any of Lin Dan's opponents. Unimaginable. Or don't tell me all the service judges conspired with him against all his opponents, including LD's teammates !? Worse, what about LD's coaches, including the legendary Grandmaster Tang Xianhu ?!

Right, any player of any nationality or Member Association who felt aggrieved or unfairly treated or discriminated against has a right to lodge a complaint to BWF. Frankly, there's enough huffing and puffing here , it now remains to be seen how BWF responds to Lin Dan's complaint made publicly instead of in private (which I believe BWF would have much preferred so as not to blow the matter up).

Naturally, it's not the first time such incident has happened nor will it be the last, but each case should be treated on its own merits. Any president of organization or CEO of corporation ought to know best how to handle them in the best possible manner for the good of all. I think I've said enough.

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

This is exactly what I meant with his fanboys not accepting facts. Just look at any close-ups of his serve and you'll see the double-motion.
    If you dont know why that is illegal I suggest you stop partaking in any discussions about the sport and take a look at the rules first.
    Once again - personally I dont believe that it irritates his opponents or that its even intentional. As it doesnt give him any advantage, service judges dont look at it critically (they dont have that much to do in singles anyway ).
    My point is that a) LD doesnt have much of a leg to stand on complaining about someone else's serve and b) his fans should maybe consider that he might be wrong in his statements and accusations before looking for an anti-China conspiracy.

nokh88 and visor like this.