Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Oh yes, I know everything!! :p

But I don't want to translate everything I know into English.:D

2. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    that's true, especially for young people who doesnt yet to understand how the world works.

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Or we are just annoyed by this 'discussion'. I have little to no interest in his personal life - sure, if he goes into new business ventures, has sth big happen (like marriage/child being born/....) that is interesting to a lot of fans, but this particular topic has run its course.

4. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    You are not being fair to us. :(

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    The following are not rumours, but confirmed facts:

(1) Lin Dan beat up his own coach Ji Xinpeng a few months before the Beijing Olympics. Ji Xinpeng had to leave the team as a result.
    (2) Lin Dan repeatedly walked over towards his own team mates (eg Chen Jin and Bao CL).
    (3) He is disrespectful to his opponents. He rarely does his best, unlike LCW or Peter Gade.
    (4) Lin Dan went solo and joined Yonex because the latter offered him more money. That made CBA, LYB and Li Ning very unhappy.
    (5) He had an affair with a model/actress while XXF was pregnant.

He has caused pain and suffering to everyone around him.

[The stuff on domestic violence are unconfirmed. So I will say nothing it.]

#8065 pcll99, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  6. leejunlong999

leejunlong999 Regular Member

student
    for the walkover i believe is to the consent of CBA
    and the sponsorship thing, there is no wrong in trying to earn more money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

They should be unhappy right ! I wonder.

8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon

haha.. typo.. hahaha..

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I get the feeling you have some personal vendetta against him. Also, it is not a fact that he has 'caused pain and suffering to everyone around him', it's a melodramatic exaggeration at best. The Ji Xinpeng thing was never confirmed to be a real fight, so 'beat up' is not the correct way to phrase it either.

Again - I am not a big LD fan. But this is starting to become a smear campaign, and it annoys the hell out of me.

Btw, if you are as successful as he is/was, and your country's sponsor is paying you badly compared to other offers you have, you'd be a moron not to change. Don't go elsewhere for 5% more, but as far as we are informed it was a very substantial difference.

Edit: also, if you dont do your best to beat an opponent, tough. Thats not disrespectful, thats being lazy. Disrespectful behaviour would include mocking them, laughing at their play/errors, not shaking their hand after the match...if you act like you dont care at all on court, thats approaching disrespect, but in a professional sport, you kind of have to earn respect and should be able to handle a bored/lazy opponent.

#8069 j4ckie, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    Justin L and Nine Tailed Fox like this.
  10. leejunlong999

student
    YES

11. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Life will be normal within a month. Approval from XXF and family, open apology(no excuse) and millions of fan support. Once the whole thing cools down in a week,no one will bat an eye,

Enjoy till it lasts though. I wonder if the curtains are already drawn.

12. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Yes, everyone would want to earn more money. Can't blame LD for that.

But Lin Dan wanted to earn lots of money from Yonex while refusing to leave CBA. He took the second Men's Singles spot for Rio from his younger team mates even though he already had three bites at the cherry.

Du PY, WZM, Tian HW, Xue S, etc, never had a chance!!!!

13. leejunlong999

student
    i doubt him leaving cba will allow him to go independent

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Tough. Want to have a shot at winning the biggest tournament in the world? QUALIFY. They wouldve gone there if they hadnt been **** in comparison. Especially Du Pengyu, do you actually entertain the delusion he wouldve been in contention for a medal? If so, please stop involving yourself in badminton discussions, because it is quite annoying to talk to people who have no clue.
    Well. No disrespect to the Chinese MS players, they are great athletes, and I dont think any one of them saw this as unfair or complained about the higher ranked player being sent. I think DPY lamented his fate once on retirement, but iirc it was more along the lines that it's pretty hard to play at the same time and for the same country as the greatest MS player of all time.
    Same applies to LCW, who might have been a complete beast at a different time if his prime didnt happen to be overlapped by LD's and the start of his twilight days by CL's. Yet he never complained - just paid his respect to those who beat him, tried to swallow his disappointment, and marched on.

Another point, the only way to compete in international badminton is through your country's association as they have to register you for tournaments. Indonesia are very liberal with that, but even they preferred their 'own' players over higher ranked free agents for WCs and I've never heard of a Chinese player competing as a free agent. CBA had their own agenda in keeping LD tied to them, so your point of him 'wanting to stay in CBA' is entirely invalid. He might not care one way or another, but with the current state of things it's the only option.

Edit: also, WZM? Seriously? Why would you send someone to the Olympics who is most certainly not going to get a medal when you have another option? Really. Did he even win a significant tournament in his entire career?
    Tian Houwei and Xue Song would've been better options, but gambles as well since they havent yet shown that theyre capable of world class performances consistently.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I like your honesty.

I smell sour grapes and sore losers, lots of jealousy, bias, righteous indignation, hypocrisy, moral high horse, picking on Lin Dan's so-called faults and exaggerating it, taking some allegations as facts, and not seeing his virtues and good points such as his filial piety, kindness, generosity and magnanimity.

How well do we really know him to judge him ? He's the god of badminton but a human nevertheless, with human failings. Yes, he's strayed and he's realized his mistake and openly apologised to his wife and family and friends. Since his wife, who is the one aggrieved, not us fans, has chosen to forgive him, what are we to say, what right have we to condemn him further ? Are we even in a position to pass judgement ? Besides, it's his private life and the matter is strictly between him and his wife.

Since Lin Dan's youth, he's been known to be a rebel, a maverick, somewhat impulsive and as he grows older he became more mellowed, mature, steady and gentlemanly, even staid, esp after the London Olympics. He's a man with no false pride or arrogance, but humility and convictions despite his true greatness and unmatched achievements in badminton.

And as the most decorated and celebrated badminton superstar, fame and fortune accompanied him, constantly subjecting him to temptations, testing his resolve and character. Let's face it, how many of us in his shoes can resist it and stay on the straight and narrow path, and for how long ?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not speaking as a Lin Dan apologist, who am I to do that. My appeal is that, let's be fair and honest, take Lin Dan for what he is, warts and all. As far as badminton goes, we may not see the likes of him for a long, long time.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Oh, you know everything....but selectively chooses what you don't like about him and magnify it.

17. leejunlong999

student
    seems the point he has trying to prove lol

18. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Thanks for information.

Why would CBA want to keep ties with LD?

thank you.

19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

He's a star player that attracts attention, and him leaving and competing outside of their team would've sent a message. It would have ruined that whole unified team thing and undermined their authority ("If he can compete outside of CBA, why shouldn't I?").
    If he had left, it's quite possible others would've followed, and those would have been free to choose their own sponsors as well, further diminishing the CBA team's worth to Li Ning (or other potential sponsors).

20. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Coz they didn't want him to wreck havoc on their MS players.