Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

LIFE is too SHORT.
    In this world one has a role to play for three score years and ten;
    What need is there both day and night to overtax one’s spirits?
    The affairs of this world in the end bring naught but regret;
    The fleeting luxury that beguiles the eye is wont to prove unreal.
    Poverty and want, wealth and distinction, are allocated by Heaven;
    Success and failure, glory and luxury, are but dust in a crack.
    So WHY NOT let yourself go, enjoying pleasures as they come;
    Rather than waiting for the gray hairs to invade your temples?
    < From: Jin Ping Mei >

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  2. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Gosh... Tried to get some new facts about the LD-model-betray-story. All what I got were all those arguments why not talking / discussing about this *facepalm*
    Don't judge on things we don't know, that's what I agree. But why not judging on facts? If you see a man who's wearing terrible clothes, you better don't judge - he may be a very lovely, humble and / or intelligent person. But if you know that the man is / was a violent criminal, you're allowed to judge.
    While it is not a criminal thing what LD did, and honestly we men also would be tempted to to the same, it is allowed to talk about his big mistake. Why the ... aren't we allowed to? If I would do the same, I'd wish not to talk about too, but I'd totally understand people judge and rate me for my mistake.
    This is not about LD or chn badminton bashing - that is such a poor argument. If LCD, LYD or which big badminton star ever, would have done the same, we would be writing about that too.
    When we are disussing about this scandal-thing and you're really feeling hurt - sorry not sorry.

#8162 Accordaz, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  3. renbo

renbo Regular Member

We don't know LD personally, nor XXF, and people go on judging. Even if we knew them like close kin, it is not our affair to judge. People like Ginsan going on saying whose right and whose wrong when nobody hurt them are a plague.
    But I must say that since some years, the battle between China fans and the others is very tiresome. Some years ago BC was more healthy in this regard, at least in my view. And I don't think the problems comes from attacks on CHN team.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Aren't we all discussing it, just that we share different views? As it is, it's widely reported on TV and in the news media across China, impossible not to talk about it. He is a public figure, a celebrity, a fodder for gossip.

Gossip is a fearful thing, in the words of Ruan Lingyu whose suicide was generally attributed to it but there are other causes. Newspapers and tabloids tend to sensationalise it to boost readership, even invading the subject's privacy.

I only feel that we're free to talk about Lin Dan's extramarital affair based on the facts but refrain from adding things we don't know or spreading unfounded rumours. After all, Lin Dan and Xie Xingfang have reconciled when he openly apologised to her and she accepted it, saying they want to stick together through thick and thin. I suppose they would greatly appreciate we respect their decision and privacy so that they can move on with their lives. At the same time, we can lend them our understanding and support at this most difficult time of their lives.

5. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Nice.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

True, we are not their kin and close friends, even if we are , let's not be too judgemental. Judge not lest you be judged, as the saying goes.

Lin Dan has only himself to blame living a celebrity lifestyle and letting fame and fortune get into his head, so he has to bear the consequences for his actions. If his wife is willing to forgive and stand by him, what are we to say ?

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    My friend said the compensation issue came from the news. Both can still be possible.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    He is not the first, and he is not the last. I agree fame and fortune doesn't help. It's easy to lose perspective and think the world will always pander to you.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes, he won't be the last. I believe Lin Dan's sudden fame and fortune started after Beijing'08 but still manageable as it's only the beginning. It hits megastar status elevating him to the stratosphere after LOG'12, that's when he started to lead a celebrity lifestyle rubbing shoulders with TV stars and who's who in entertainment circles as well hobnobbing with the rich and famous.

The Yonex multi-million contract catapulted him to financial independence, giving him a (false?) sense of security about his future and allowing him to indulge himself more.

Looking back, I speculated that it explains why even during the Olympic year, he just couldn't dedicate himself totally to hard training for he was simply unable to muster the will and strength to work on improving his new style of play with all those external attractions, temptations and issues engulfing him. Otherwise, who could stop Lin Dan from capturing his third Olympic gold ? Not LCW, not Chen Long, no one.

I agree, apart from Lin Dan getting his wife's forgiveness, vitally important, the next best thing for Lin Dan to do is to go back to his all-conquering and winning ways in badminton, not just for his legions of fans and big sponsors but , most importantly, for himself. For Lin Dan owes all that he is to badminton, outside of which he is nobody, nothing. It is still not too late, he is not too old for it at age 33, what with his prodigious talents, immense experience, tremendous willpower and mental toughness second to none.

As far as the badminton world is concerned, Lin Dan, more than anyone else, still has what it takes to excite us fans and stir our imagination. If he puts his heart to it, there is no gainsaying he can do it.

Lee Hyun Il at 36, Hu Yun at 35, and Lee CW at 34, are all still not calling it a day and going strong, showing little to no sign of letting up. If they can do it, I don't see why not The GOAT, Lin Dan.

10. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    I hope LD will come back and win some tournaments again.

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Sometimes I wonder if Justin would marry LD, maybe even grt a sex change operation, in case LD ever got divorced from XXF - the religious worship is unparalleled. :D

buibui2, soulpx, nokh88 and 3 others like this.
  12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

What ? How could you read it as religious worship, I am atheist , you know ? Didn't I point out Lin Dan's failings, criticize him for letting fame and fortune sway and lead him astray , neglecting his badminton ?

13. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    will Lin Dan go to Tokyo 2020?

If yes, I guess Du PY, WZM, THW, Xue S, Shi YQ and the three or four other MS players in the 2nd team can have more time to develop their skills for the Olympics in 2024.

#8173 pcll99, Nov 21, 2016
  14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Dude, it's a joke, but 'religious worship' can apply to Atheists as well if they elevate someone to the level a religious person would their god...I just find it funny how you still think LD is the one to determine whether he can be the best in the world again, when the last 2 years have clearly shown he cant just win tournaments at will anymore, and needs the Top3-4 in the world to have a bad tournament to have a chance...
    Anyway, I'd like to see him return to competitive shape and even get back to a top4 status, but I dont believe in the latter.

buibui2 and Rob3rt like this.
  15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

DPY and WZM retired already.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Ok, point taken but religious worship is never my kind of thing.

Well, if a person is forced by circumstances, it may just be the spark that light the fire in him, galvanising him into action, and overcoming all odds. I won't rule that out of Lin Dan, he has sterling records to prove his capability. If anyone can do it, it's him.

“There is no man living who isn't capable of doing more than he thinks he can do.”
    Henry Ford

17. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    DPY and WZM retired already? I didn't know. Oh sorry.

#8177 pcll99, Nov 21, 2016
  18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

But you still believe in LD's capability to win tournaments (on his own), despite all evidence to the contrary. That is religious worship.
    Still, it was intended as a joke, so no offense ;)

19. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Me too ... I can't wait to see how he emerges out victorious after all the mess. Perhaps some bigger tournament.

20. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    LD's current style of play is boring. It's like in the 70's and 80's stroke play and stroke plays won't win you tournaments nowadays.
    And at his age, I can't see how he can play aggressive badminton like in his younger days. He hardly smashes. And if he were to rally, will his stamina be better than those young players? I doubt so.