Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. lippro

lippro Regular Member

Uptil 2014 it was 1 loss for every 10 wins for LD.

Justin L likes this.
  2. lippro

lippro Regular Member

For some reason I wasn't surprised at all by CTC's w-l record

3. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Lin Dan, till November 2014

559 matches, 10.91℅ career matches lost.

Justin L likes this.
  4. Nine Tailed Fox

How does Lin Dan compare with Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic

Roger Federer , 1402 matches, 17.83 % career matches lost

Rafael Nadal, 1058 matches, 17.48 % career matches lost.

Novak Djokovic, 946 matches, 17.23% career matches lost.

Lin Dan, 708 matches, 12.85 % career matches lost

Justin L and samkool like this.
  5. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    the goat of male goat's...

Justin L likes this.
  6. r3v0lv3r

r3v0lv3r Regular Member

I think LD should seriously consider retiring. He has enough titles (Everything any player could imagined of), a lot of prestige and fame (and money) and a legacy which will last for many more generations of badminton players. What else is he looking for.
    He should retire while he's still reasonably on top, before any sign of obvious decline which might tarnish his legacy shows up.
    He is already the greatest men's badminton player ever!!

P/S: I think LCW should consider the same.

7. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    He's "looking" to play more competitive badminton and winning despite his age if his AE2016 speech is anything to go by. Maybe it's just me but I don't care one bit about the legacy because if those players aren't in the circuit anymore, you have nothing to look forward to. People can only speculate what a match between some legend and newer gen world no.1 would be like. We have the opportunity to see what it is and boy did I enjoy watching a bunch of his 2017 matches countless amounts of time.

I'd rather that than pointless discussions about how a 90's player may hypothetically beat the newer generation players if he hadn't retired.

stanleyfm, JasonL and Nine Tailed Fox like this.
  8. r3v0lv3r

r3v0lv3r Regular Member

Yeah, but this can also go to another kind of argument saying that this player is old now, etc, etc of course can't keep up with the new guys and so on. And you'll still end up with hypothetical match ups (Prime LD vs Prime current No 1).

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

That's the risk Lin Dan took when he decided not to retire after LOG'12.

I supposed we can separate prime Lin Dan as having ended at the Incheon Asian Games 2014 where he won the individual gold from the time when, about a couple weeks later while playing recreational soccer with his buddies, he sustained what he claimed was the worst injury in his career from which it accelerated his decline until now as he is never the same player again, not least owing to his transformation to a new playing style, a controlled rallying stroke game.

To make matters worse, he has so many other interests and distractions off-court, what with putting his family first after LOG'12 as he openly said he would. Now he's even caught the singing bug taking part in a singing contest which, needless to say, requires lots of preparation putting effort and heart into it as he expressed hope to win a different kind of championship.

I mean, for such a demanding professional sport, any athlete got to live and breathe badminton even if his life is not only badminton, to really do well as a high degree of motivation, dedication and discipline is needed to continue being on top of the game, nothing less will do, no exception for anyone however great he is.

Clearly, as he is not going to retire yet, his targets for 2018 are the Nanjing World Championships in August and the Asian Games in September , apart from the Thomas Cup in May. The rest of the time expect him to just cruise along or get by doing the minimum earning the necessary ranking points for qualification and seeding purposes.

I think if we fans don't have high expectations from him as far as badminton is concerned, we can continue to enjoy watching him play much more than if we are taking his results too seriously. For me, I draw a clear distinction between Super Dan and just Lin Dan, if you know what I mean.

Frankly, and to be fair, if he were one of the other WR Top 10 players, his results this year is considered satisfactory - winner of the MAS Open PSS beating LCW on his home soil, silver at the BAC to Chen Long, silver at the WC to VA 11 years his junior, and MS gold at the Chinese National Games (his fourth in a row for the quadrennial national event, another of his many record-breaking feats). Not much to complain about, actually, esp for a 34-year-old man well past his Use-By Date in badminton terms.

Baddyforall and swsh like this.
  10. Nine Tailed Fox

Chinese Players have taken Inspiration from Lin Dan's revolt against Guangzhou's payment scandal as MD star Liu Yuchen breaks his silence and reveals that Benxi Club owes him 2 Year Salary.

Untitled5.png

stanleyfm likes this.
  11. Nine Tailed Fox

Five Times World Champion, to appear in a Talk Show called 'Roast.'

1 : '' Is he the Diego Maradona of Badminton? ''

2 : '' Did Diego Maradona sell underwears? "

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

GingerCorslette and stanleyfm like this.
  12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes, Lin Dan is at it again, confirming all the fans' belief and fear that he will not concentrate fully on badminton until Tokyo 2020, his self-proclaimed target for badminton. What is he up to this time after the masked singing contest which is still ongoing? He has taken part in a talk show program called " Tucao Assembly Season", a comedy talk show where the participants can ridicule each other's "shady past or secrets" or ridicule themselves if they wish.
    http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2017-12-29/doc-ifyqcwaq5423798.shtml

Recently, Lin Dan was involved in a sponsorship conflict for which he blasted CBSL and even got his team Qingdao fined RMB120K for violating the sponsor agreement, in addition he is still owed RMB 4 million from the previous CBSL for a year already, causing Lin Dan much indignation.

When news first broke of his appearance in such a talk show, his fans got a scare. Lin Dan wrote on his weibo:"First time taking part in a talk show, hope to give it a try and see if I can win another championship? Those wanting to roast me might as well not constrain themselves."

Lin Dan's so-called "newfound job of making money to support his family" (said in jest) has generated huge interest among his Internet fans, they are astonished by his courage to take part in such a program based on self-ridicule and ridiculing others, some wondering:" What gives you the guts to go out there, never mind, we excuse you. Really hats off to you, as long as you're happy", " very much want to see other guests roast you on your extramarital affair. You will be blackened miserably."

Without doubt Lin Dan's most famous incident is his extra-marital scandal, fans can't wait to see how he conduct himself during the talk show "Tucao Assembly Season", whether he would ridicule himself on that incident or let other guests attack him on that dark affair. It should be noted that not all the participants in the talk show program with a dark history come out worse off in the mutual ridicule and mockery, some even managed to take the opportunity to explain themselves and whitewash their deviant past. What will Lin Dan contribute to his performance (regarding his sex scandal)? He has however proudly said he wanted to win the "Tucao" title this season.

[By the way, it's season 2 of the "Tucao Assembly" talk show program that Lin Dan is participating in, if I'm not wrong.- Justin L]

GingerCorslette and stanleyfm like this.
  13. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

Lin Dan has reached that point in his life where he doesn't give a **** (care) anymore, and that's good. He's won literally everything and deserves to do whatever he wants to do now. He's having fun. It's an OG thing. Who knows, he might again eventually get inspired playing top drawer badminton from all this stuff.

lippro likes this.
  14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2018-01-09/doc-ifyqkarr8133923.shtml dated 9th Jan 2018

The BWF President Poul Erik Hoyer Larsen was saying, while interviewed in Guangzhou yesterday (8th Jan'18), that both the 34-year-old Lin Dan and the 35-year-old Lee CW are living legends for being till today still actively competing in the MS world arena. Furthermore, he opined that it's not that the rise of Men's Singles is lagging behind other disciplines but rather Lin Dan and Lee CW are just too strong for too long.

When asked by a reporter (a hypothetical question) if he were to return to 30 years old and compete with Lin Dan and Lee CW (today) who among the three will emerge victorious, he thought for a while and gave a definite answer: " Lin Dan ! "

Poul Larsen also revealed that BWF is aiming to advance badminton as one of the top 10 Olympic sports, "We've been working very hard on it and getting nearer and nearer to that goal."

Moreover, BWF has made known its intention to introduce the new service height rule of 1.15m in the coming All England Championships in March and also implement the new 11-point scoring system in the 2018 Thomas and Uber Cup in May. Larsen believed that no matter how much the debates and controversies regarding the two issues, whatever he does is all for the better development of badminton worldwide.

Regarding Lee CW's complaint of being unable to cope with playing 19 tournaments a year (as per the new tournament structure requirements) and therefore has applied to BWF for exemption from penalties for skipping some of the tournaments, Larsen admitted Lee CW has raised the issue to him, " The final decision can only be made after a joint discussion with the relevant committee, it's not up to me to decide," explained Larsen.

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

19 tournaments? Absolute madness. Whoever is in charge of that circus is an absolute lunatic. Either no idea of athletic performance and human limitations or just no care for pro players' health whatsoever.

Edit: I have no idea if that is indeed required or if the author of the article misunderstood or misquoted something, that is possible. So is, however, the BWF screwing up big time.

#10776 j4ckie, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    stanleyfm, jole73, KB@TB Em and 2 others like this.
  16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I was thinking if there's a typo error on the author's part. But I did a counting for LCW to get 3+4+5=12 World Tour events that are compulsory plus ,say, TUC, AG, WC, Commonwealth Games, Asia Team (as qualifier for the TUC) , BAC, total 18 tournaments, so I assume the 19th event to be the WT Finals to make 19 tournaments in all. CMIIW.

Btw, Saina Nehwal and Carolina Marin have also spoken out against the crowded, hectic tournament schedule for 2018 alone as reported here http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2018-01-09/doc-ifyqnici8837910.shtml

stanleyfm likes this.
  17. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Apparently it is REQUIRED for players to play 19 tournies (minimum?). I didn't read too deep into the fine print, so I'm not sure if the usual best 10 tourney participation for world ranking points count or otherwise.
    Which is kind of why you see players jamming Malaysia and Indo Masters, the feeling is that of everyone rushing to register into the tourney rather than having the slot and waiting for the higher ranked people to fill them.

While great on paper having so many top10 appear and all, it doesn't mean anything until we see the tourney rolling... I'm guessing first round exits or crashouts will be a lot more common, with players deciding to burn the traveling budget and showing face and throwing some tournies along the calendar year. Or just playing like they don't mean it.

To be frank, the first player that comes to mind when I saw this requirement isn't LCW or LD, rather it was Chou Tien Chen. Dude's been known to run out of steam big time for back to back....... so if this kicks in, and it will, he will be "disgraced" quite a bit.

I'm not giving this rule a full thumbs up; but I do advocate a minimum floor to prevent players cherrypicking, much like China players taking a big break after OG or WC, be it winning or not.
    Maybe 10, EXCLUDING Major Events, is a good idea, an average of 1-1.3 per month.

Hah, and I was joking to my friend a couple years back that any top10 can go raid a GP or IC event should they wish; the money is there, whether high or not, if they can take it, they can really go take the money. Now it's like they're being forced to.

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I think they should only make tournaments down to the 'PSS' level compulsory. Everything else is absurd - players need to be able to make their own schedule, take a small break when needed, and not feel forced to play with nagging injuries. What we'd get as a result would be either lower quality matches, with players protecting their injuries/pains, an increased number of walkovers, or more serious injuries because someone played with a smaller one and didn't rest instead.
    Anything over 10 compulsory tournaments is ridiculous if you consider almost all Top20 pros will add at least 4 or 5 more in the form of team events etc

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Exactly, I couldn't agree with you more.