Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

I have some very good news to share with you.

I made a rule for myself, not to light up this forum unless peak Lin Dan makes a return.

It looks like, he just made an appearance in the third set of 2019 Malaysia Open MS Final.

There was an aura of 2008 Beijing Olympics ' Super Dan' about him, as confirmed , later, by that Championship point at 20-11.

2. Kento

Kento Regular Member

Not only did he last the 3 sets and win but looked the fresher out of the two finalists as well.

3. andrewtcho

andrewtcho Regular Member

My opinion is LD went for it (i.e. won in this tournament) because LCW did not play because of health, so he won it for his friend LCW :)

Saru likes this.
  4. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I guess we all owed LCW a big time:)
    "My Friend Lin Dan , you have my best wishes for this Malaysian Open . If I were to hope for a non Malaysian to win the singles title , I hope it’s you my friend , my greatest opponent "

That's all it took:)

Saru and Vannieboy like this.
  5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Lin Dan will not be able to get to the same physical level as the Top5, no matter how he trains - he is too old. The most noticeable drop-off will be explosive strength, btw, not stamina. If he tires early in matches, it's either wrong or lack of physical preparation or wrong pacing (going too hard in early rallies, depleting himself too much, unable to recover).

While it's nice that you're still so enthusiastic and optimistic about him and his future prospects, I don't see it that way. I personally think this MO was a combination of fortunate circumstances for him that will rarely, if ever, be repeated (conditions being in his favor, many of the opponents suiting him well and playing to his strengths and preferences, not meeting his worst match ups until the final,....).
    So I'll keep my expectations low, especially in the big tournaments where all others come prepared.

Saru, buibui2, samkool and 1 other person like this.
  6. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Steen seems to disagree with you :p

Saru, buibui2, Justin L and 1 other person like this.
  7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

He chose to be sarcastic about it while I did not, not sure if that constitutes disagreement :D

8. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Well I chose to ignore the sarcasm :D:D

LenaicM likes this.
  9. visor

visor Regular Member

Well then you're a sarcastic ignorant...
    (sorry, that was too good of a chance to miss...)

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

10. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Haha I'll take that as a compliment. :D

buibui2 and visor like this.
  11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I understand, your first paragraph is sensible, he is too old at 35 for a pro badminton athlete, the age at which all athletes' physique start an inevitable decline. I should have said it's a big 'IF'.

Right, in general, the strength and power part wears down earlier by 30, the endurance declines by about 10% after 30. But I also read there are some variations, a few peak in their late 30s, I think LCW is one of them. I remember Hu Yun at around 35 still have smashing power and he seemed able to do it more often than Lin Dan at that age. Of course, Lin Dan is Lin Dan. And Lin Dan minus the (explosive) power is not Super Dan, that's why I gave him a new moniker, The Magician, implying he uses more of 'trickery' and wits to overcome his opponents nowadays.

Apparently, the scientific studies and evidence on how aging affects athletic performance at various age levels is not definitive because it's done based on observation.

Two relevant articles worth a read https://www.fatherly.com/health-science/why-athletic-performance-declines-with-age/
    and https://theconversation.com/how-does-aging-affect-athletic-performance-36051

#11691 Justin L, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yup, Steen didn't sound too convinced or impressed. He was being facetious, witty and, yes, sarcastic as well, saying: "The winner of #MS Looks like a promising talent that...eh ...Dan Lin. Could become real good sometime if he keeps developing.[​IMG]"

"Looks like a promising talent that...eh Dan Lin", huh? "Could become real good sometime(sic)" and he rubbed it in by adding " if he keeps developing" .

13. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  14. Neel Dhebar

Neel Dhebar Regular Member

15. esppy

esppy Regular Member

16. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

17. Vivek Bagadhi

Vivek Bagadhi Regular Member

Doctor
    That 2008 mode would make all the badminton players to go into depression

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

#11697 Vivek Bagadhi, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    buibui2 likes this.
  18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

The main area where that decreasing explosive power is noticeable in badminton is the fast movement and jumps. The smash isn't affected quite as much because so much of it relies on technique and timing and it also doesn't involve the largest muscles of the body...I think LD mainly doesn't smash as hard anymore because of the different equipment, strings etc and his refusal to really let it rip most of the time. He seemingly doesn't want to rotate his upper body as much anymore, if due to back issues or not training as he used to (I'm fairly certain he's doing less jump smashing than in his youth), I don't know, but I don't think his smash is affected that much by his waning strength yet.

19. Kento

Kento Regular Member

Like I have said in previous threads, you really do not need to jump smash all over the court in order to win points.

A well-disguised angled wrist smash made at varying speeds is often the best way to secure the point.

So long as it is not overused and thereby become predictable, it remains a great asset to the player employing it, enabling her/him to bamboozle the opponent, and leave their antagonist thoroughly uncertain about what to do to counter this type of play.

Add one Lin Dan to the above situation then sit back and thoroughly enjoy the show.

buibui2 and Justin L like this.
  20. esppy

esppy Regular Member

You're right. No need for the epic in the air, out-of-balance, all-or-nothing jump smashes all the time.

BUT.
    The only issue is that LD didn't bother to keep things in a downward direction back then during the early exits. Constant lifting, clearing, and dropping only screwed himself over.
    You can control and control, but you will eventually go out of control. And by then, it's TOO LATE.

LD may say he's tired after losing all those matches but I believe NONE of it. See how much he was sweating winning this Msia Open, but on those matches he went out, he barely looked like he walked through the smallest of drizzles. Barely a drop of sweat.

There's a reason for the saying "Attack is the best form of defence" and as the commentators has said before "you can't win anything by defending" shows how true the tactic is, employed this Malaysia Open.

Creating an initiative for a weak reply or outright winner rather than waiting for it to happen is the way to go.