Longest lasting upper for Yonex shoes?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by jlimzq, Jan 26, 2017.

1. jlimzq

jlimzq Regular Member

Hi guys! My current shoe of 4 months still has a good grippy outsole, but the inside of the upper on the non-racket foot is really wearing out due to lunges and other dragging actions during play. I think I'm about to get a hole there soon, haha. I think I'm pretty rough on my shoes and dislike having to buy new shoes before the outsole is worn out. Thus, my question:

In your experience is there a Yonex shoe that has the best/longest lasting upper resistant to such dragging actions on the inside upper?

I buy my shoes online and I know my Yonex shoe size, which is nice so I don't have to keep mailing them back and forth in case I order the wrong size. As such,I would prefer Yonex recommendations. However, other brands are still open for consideration though.

2. swunk

swunk Regular Member

just put a couple of layers of athetic tape on that spot and change it from time to time. everybody does that. i play in my shoes for almost 2 years now, if i haven't been putting the tape there, i would have had a hole in several months for sure.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

What swunk said...

But I do find that Victor shoes even if they do scuff there but there's no hole formed there...

4. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Only the SHB-01/02 and yet to be seen but presumably same 03 series use rubber on the inner upper, where the surfaces contacts the ground when you lunge.

[​IMG]
    Black area is rubber on 01.

[​IMG]
    Blue part is rubber on 02.

My 01LTD still has some meat left after 2 years 4 months on, and I never once tried to take special care to preserve that area.

The rest of the shoes use what Yonex calls Tough Guard III (IV for the Aerus 2), which is just generic bullcrap "thicker" leather than the rest of the upper area. I use duct tape on top for my SHB65X as mentioned in another separate thread.

As a side note, most new Victors use rubber for the inner lunging side (P9200,P8500ACE,A830,A930,S80, etc etc)

jlimzq and decoy like this.
  5. seanc6441

seanc6441 Regular Member

As Swunk said just apply electrical or athletic tape to that area and replace once the tape is worn down.

That's what I'm doing with my new Aerus because they are super light in the upper matieral and I'm not spending 100+ to replace them any time soon :D

6. mybeareagle

mybeareagle Regular Member

I personally try out Yonex and victor shoes. Still feel victor shoes is the best. My victor shoes already a year. Still very good floor grip.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

7. jlimzq

jlimzq Regular Member

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL THE ADVICE!!! I really really really appreciate the help.

I'm using the Aerus too! it got super scuffed after my first game in it and I was super shocked. I failed to mention this in the OP, but I looked up a YouTube video shortly after that happened, and for a while now I've been using Shoe Goo (which is one of the suggestions in the video below). It works pretty well, except that it wears out after 7+ hours of use, and then I'll have to reapply it.

Maybe I'll post a picture sometime to show how bad it looks. Shoe Goo has saved it from getting much worse, although constant reapplication can be a bit of a hassle.

As for the athletic tape, I was sorta against how it looks, but the more I think of it the more I am inclined to just try it out. Its not like I'm staring at my shoes all day, right?

For some reason my mind thinks that the rubber would be a disaster - all that constant rubbing along the floor - wouldn't the rubber protection just rub off? It seems to me that I am sorely mistaken, perhaps I should consider a shoe with rubber protection on the lunging side

Maybe it is time for me to get a pair of Victors as my next pair... I have no idea what to look for though :confused:

8. seanc6441

seanc6441 Regular Member

The electrical tape comes in all sorts of colour. If you find one that matches the shoe it looks fine tbh. Also with the bright colours of badminton footwear it's doubtful to really look too bad xD

Finally it's worth a sacrifice in appearance for longer lasting shoes IMO. :)

9. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Let's tackle this one by one....

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/index.php?threads/dragging-foot-hole.167579/#post-2505196
    The post I made, using duct tape on Yonex shoes that has leather.

[​IMG]
    The state of my SHB-01LTD after 2 years and 4.5 months of use, no extra care on the side, and lunged hard for reach sometimes.

For Victor, the SH-P9200 would be a good start. Everyone and their mother seems to be wearing it in the pro circuit mostly, in 2016. It's real stable and cushiony, so I'm told.
    The SH-P8500ACE is an evolution of Lee Yong Dae's favorite SH-8500, and its good for lateral support with its side claws and grip.

A930/820 are okay shoes, nothing too hoo, or too haa either. It's like what SHB65 is to Yonex what these are to Victor, IMO.

Victor categorizes their shoes in P(performance), A(all around) and S(speed).
    My general advice is STAY OFF THE S SERIES. Sure they are light and fast, but you lose cushioning to get that lightness. No. Just no. Worse than Aerus, the S80 for one. S81 is still new and unknown so yep.

My personal conclusion interacting with players who use Victor shoes generally are UP for stability and grip(on dusty courts), but DOWN on cushion; most lamenting the lack of bounce and impact absorption as compared to Yonex.

Yonex's Power Cushion may be marketing stunt or whatever you choose to believe, but it works in a certain way.

jlimzq and visor like this.
  10. jlimzq

jlimzq Regular Member

Esppy, thanks for the advice! After looking at the shoes I feel like the Victor SH-P9200 looks really good and worth a try. I might pick them up in the near future!

As for my current Aerus shoes, I took a few pictures for sharing purposes. In the meantime, I also decided to take swunk's and seanc6441's suggestion to maintain the shoe using athletic tape in the short-term. I just received my shipment for some (bought them off Amazon) and applied them on today. I'll be playing this coming Friday and can't wait to see how they last. I stuck on 2 layers just for safe measure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. seanc6441

seanc6441 Regular Member

Nice! it's always worth the 2-3 layers to drop the friction eating through the tape too quickly.

12. jlimzq

jlimzq Regular Member

So, After about 23 hours of playing in the recent weeks, and with one of the layers peeling off near the end, I think the athletic tape method is the easiest of all. The top layer didn't get damaged too much, and after it mysteriously disappeared I can see the remaining layer is still perfectly fine.

I'll definitely continue using this method until it dies, after which I'll keep a look out for shoes that come with the inside rubber. Thanks for all the input!

[​IMG]

seanc6441 likes this.
  13. esppy

esppy Regular Member

The fate of us non sponsored peeps.... :(

jlimzq likes this.