Looking for a headlight oval racquet

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by green.blood, Jun 10, 2013.

1. green.blood

green.blood Regular Member

Feather basher
    Need suggestions for a headlight oval racquet preferably in 2U or 3U weight. Currently playing with a 3U cab 20 sp which has a B.P of 282mm. It feels slightly headlight and I like it. I would welcome any suggestions in the carbonex series or from any other brands as long as it is oval.

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Yonex Aerotus 100, Mizuno GP-77 ... Cab35 might be around Cab20.

Don't forget Cab 20 is 665mm instead of normal 675mm. Did you measure 282mm with original grip and without string?

#2 demolidor, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  3. green.blood

Feather basher
    It is 282mm with string and grip. Yepp, most Cabs are regular size. I suppose a longer racquet with the same feel will have a slightly longer B.P.

4. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

gosen ryoga shiden, BP-281-283mm, oval head, modern technologies with a very good shaft and frame

5. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional

if you know where i can still find brand new aerotus 100, please let me know!!! thx :)

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Shuddle house had a few in their clearance last month(s) but all out now. Probably on rakuten ...

7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Or you can try checking with Matt if he has one left ...

8. lavipsi

lavipsi New Member

yeah,BP-281-283mm, oval head, modern technologies with a very good shaft and frame [​IMG]

9. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    If you like the Cab 20, why not stick with it? The originals are fairly rare now, although they do seem to appear on ebay every now and again.

The re-released and updated versions are still sold in Asia I believe. I remember seeing a few new Cab 20 and 21's in some Hong Kong shops when I was there last year.

10. green.blood

Feather basher
    I already have two cab 20 (3U & 2U). Now looking for other oval alternative in 3U weight. My 3U cab 20 had embedded string marks on the frame so since I like 27lbs string tension it is better not to buy another 3U cab 20 just yet.

11. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I see. I'm a big fan of the carbonex series too and have quite a few in my collection now. I too string at high tensions 27-30lb so I know what you mean.

The old carbonex racquets uses a far softer carbon than modern racquets, so it is good to renew the grommets regularly if you string at high tensions.

I would not recommend any of the aerotus racquets to be honest. They are amongst the worst racquets yonex have made in my opinion. Stick with the box section oval racquets.

The aerotus range don't like high tensions and generally less stable/rigid than the box section of the carbonex frames, this makes them less forgiving, like having a much smaller sweetspot. There is also no real aerodynamic advantage with them either.

If your timing and technique is perfect all the time, then you could justify getting one but otherwise I would stick with the carbonex range.

All my carbonex racquets are either 2U or U, I've played with 3U and can't get any power from them and I would be a little nervous stringing at high tensions repeatedly on a 3U oval frame, particularly if you play doubles when clashes can happen.

12. green.blood

Feather basher
    I would certainly stick to carbonex as long as they're available. I find I can smash better with the 3U cabs. In all I think the 2U cabs feels more solid but since the 3U versions allow me better playability so I think it is a nice compensation.

#12 green.blood, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  13. green.blood

Feather basher
    Played a carbonex 8000 ti strung with ashaway ML @ 27 lbs today. This racket is a sleeper!!! It felt like any other higher end of its carbonex brothers.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

14. carbonex 20

carbonex 20 Regular Member

engineer
    Try Proace DMS 99