Looking for coach who can speak English in Korea

Discussion in 'Japan / Korea' started by Lancelot Steven, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Lancelot Steven

Lancelot Steven New Member

I live in Seoul, Jungnang, currently 17 years old and study in an International school. I looked up all the clubs around me and they aren't able to teach me. (I have a really low Korean level). Could anyone help me?

blabl likes this.
  2. blabl

blabl Regular Member

@Lancelot Steven

I think it is going to be very tough for you right? I understand that you speak English and it will be very difficult for you to converse in Korean language right? As can be seen in Korea, it is going to be very Korean here. We speak Korean language all the time which is a norm. So, of course the badminton coaches in Korea speak Korean language as well.

However, I have a good suggestion for you. You know coach Ha Tae Kwon right? Right now he is coaching in a famous Yonex badminton club in Korea. Maybe you can try to go and search for him and join the Yonex club and train there.

3. event

event Regular Member

I don't think there is any point in seeking out a pro team whose coach does not speak English and whose training is restricted to paid team members. There are famous Korean coaches who do speak English - such as Shiheung City Hall's Kim Young Man - but I have never heard of a pro team Head Coach moonlighting as a coach for recreational players. It's a little difficult for those of us who speak Korean to know when we've stumbled upon someone who speaks English. I'm sure there are some but I have no idea where to find one. Other than encouraging you to look on badminton lessons as an extra method and motivation for learning Korean, the only shot-in-the-dark suggestion I can give is to pop over to the Korea Open later this month and try chatting up some people in English and see if anyone you meet happens to know an English-speaking coach. Quite often, spectators will show up at the hall, racquet bags and all, on the way to or from a training session. It's a lame suggestion, I know, but it's the best I can think of :D

blabl likes this.
  4. event

event Regular Member

Another long shot I can suggest is to check out the Jongno-gu Olympic Memorial Center. A year ago, Lee Haeng Ham was coaching there. He spent a year or so in Canada between stints on the Korean national team so I am sure he speaks English but in a year, he could have long since moved on. No idea.

blabl likes this.
  5. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Thanks for your quick reply. Really appreciate it. :)

6. Lancelot Steven

Thx a lot for the recommendations; perhaps I should ask where I can find some good clubs that offer a one-to-one lesson to the recreational player... An English speaker would be appreciated, but not mandatory. long as we can communicate, then it will be fine.

Well, another issue is that there are too many people here, many clubs ran out of their space...

7. Lancelot Steven

Yeah, it is hard, but it must be a way to overcome. I know Ha Tae Kwon, yeah, as blbal mentioned, is not necessary for a non-pro player to get into stage.

blabl likes this.
  8. blabl

blabl Regular Member

@Lancelot Steven

I guess the best suggestion for you would be to keep in touch with coach Ha Tae Kwon from the Yonex badminton club since you know him well. Then perhaps you can get him to recommend some coaches who can speak English well. Anyway for your information, both Lee Yong Dae and Yoo Yeon Seong are also training at Yonex badminton club. Maybe you can also get in touch with them. As far as I know Yoo Yeon Seong can speak English because his wife is a Japanese. Maybe this will help you a lot. Anyway just to let you know the best person for you to contact right now will be coach Ha Tae Kwon.