Malaysia Open 07 Super Series Draws

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open / Korea Open 2007' started by ants, Jan 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Malaysian National News Agency

Lin Dan-Taufik Face Off In Sizzling Opener During M'sian Open
    Sports
    January 09, 2007 22:14 PM

KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 9 (Bernama) -- The draw for the Malaysian Open badminton championships, here Tuesday saw world number one Lin Dan of China and his nemesis, Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia, facing off in a sizzling first-round match, dashing any hopes of the duo meeting in the final.

Lin Dan, who lost to Taufik in the final of the Asian Games in Doha last month, was drawn in the top half of the fixture while world number two and defending champion Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia, who heads the bottom half, faces Bjoern Joppien of Germany.

The rather unfamiliar meeting of the arch-rivals in the first round was due to a recent change in format introduced by the BWF whereby only the top eight seeds will be separated during the draw and since Taufik was not among the top eight, the early meeting could not be avoided.

The US$200,000 Malaysian Open, the season opening tournament for the Badminton World Federation's (BWF) new 12-leg Super Series, which offers at least US$200,000 as prize money, will be held at the Kuala Lumpur Badminton Stadium on Jan 16-21.

Newly appointed BWF general manager Ganga Rao said the new format would feature only 32 players in the main draw instead of the normal 64, thus providing a lot of excitement for the fans right from the start.

"Overall, it was a good draw, especially for Chong Wei, but with the format in place, chances of top players meeting each other early will always be on the cards," Ganga told Bernama Tuesday.

Barring any upsets, Chong Wei is expected to meet China's Bao Chunlai or Dane Peter Gade in the semi-finals.

Apart from Chong Wei, the Malaysian singles challenge will come from Kuan Beng Hong, Hafiz Hashim, Yeoh Kay Bin, Lee Tsuen Seng and Sairul Amar Ayob.

Malaysia also has four doubles pairs in the men's doubles competition comprising Lee Wan Wah/Choong Tan Fook, seeded 3rd-4th, Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari/Lin Woon Fui, Chan Chong Ming/Hoon Thien How and Asian Games gold medallists Koo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong who will have to go through the qualifiers as they are a newly formed pair with no BWF ranking points.

-- BERNAMA

2. Darth Andrianus

Darth Andrianus Regular Member

Student
    Oh man, not that I am doubting TH's ability, but I was kinda hoping he would at least meet LD in the QF or something. TH may have beaten LD in the Asian Games, but what are the chances he can beat the guy again this time round? Frankly, pretty slim.

3. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I think TH will lose 1:2, as usual. However, all the pressure is on LD, he cannot afford to lose again this time, while TH really does not care whether he loses or not. Furthermore, this is actually a bad draw for LD. He has to peak in the first round and may not have enough time to adjust in the following rounds when he meets other strong opponents.

4. Darth Andrianus

Darth Andrianus Regular Member

Student
    Good point. I am a big fan of TH and I really want him to play well. If he has to go crashing in the 1st round, I hope that he would at least tire out LD so he will not be 100% for the next few rounds...

5. daretolive

daretolive Regular Member

Accountant
    Good question...
    KL Open champs V Asian Games champs...which one is more prestigious?
    I think there is an error in the draw for the men doubles.

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad

Hmmm based on the recent KL Open, CCM/HTH beat the top seeded Msian Players, so they are considered to have a better performance among Msian pairs. For the seeded they are place in their eventual slots, those who are unseeded might based on their latest performance. Personally thats what i think. However its the Draw.. i also confused hahah..

#26 ants, Jan 9, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Maybe the reason is in this link..

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34737&page=5 (post #75 & 76)..
    ..i probably would concur with ants(since he spends his time a lot with the MAS players)...but my hunch for the main reason is, there are other MD pairs who probably pulled out from the tourney..hence CCM/HTH are now able to play in the main draw right away..:confused: ;)

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Same thought as well..

..concur with ants, since both are discussing the same topic..so mods/kwun might want to merge these 2 threads together..:)

Speaking of the draw, for MS, i'm looking at a possibility of a rematch from last yr's MO, LinDan vs. LeeChongWei..;) :cool:

9. saugusli

saugusli Regular Member

Good question...
    KL Open champs V Asian Games champs...which one is more prestigious?
    Answer: Asian Games.

I think there is an error in the draw for the men doubles.
    What error? I can't see the error in the double draw?

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    no prob:D
    i hope LD concentrate on the TH match instead. By winning over TH, his confidence will carry LD to beat LCW:) If not, no use of thinking about the LCW match at all:p

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    No doubt that Asian Title is more prestigious. Anyway many people is still not used to the draw yet. Especially Rexy who sounded mad yesterday when he saw the draw.He definately didnt expect most of his doubles players in the same half.

Taufik however are suprised by the draw when he got the news that he will be facing LinDan in the 1st round. Respond to it was "WHAT!" after calming down, he was back to himself as usual confident and say he will play his best. Might as well face LinDan now than later. No matter what still have to play his game.

12. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    hey ants.. was TH der 4 the draw yday????

13. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    its hard to say between CCM/HTH going against KKK/TBH... they have not played against each other b4...
    MF/LWF won KKK/TBH but lost to CCM/HTH
    KKK/TBH won CY/FHF but lost to MF/LWF
    i would say its quite a match this time...
    i would give it 50-50

14. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I prefer that they do not intentionally seperate players/pairs from the same nations in the draw. These are individual events and as such, each player/pair should be officially treated as an individual competitor. Only by acknowledging this can badminton go on to the next level. Let the player be more important than the nation he represents.

If players from the same nation are all bunched in the same half, so be it; it's the luck of draw.

I hope that in future, the same goes for the World Championship qualification; no more limitations of the number of players from the same nation. If you want more nations to particapate, fair enough, but use a different strategy. For a simple example, in a 64-draw event, automatically qualify the top 50, and for the other 14, pick players from nations not yet chosen.

However, Olympics will be different because the Olympic movement has its own rules.

15. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    This is the first leg of the Super Series so there are lots of uncertainties for sure, we just have to let it go thru the process and see how it turns out. I recall many have doubts about the 21-point system when it first introduced.
    Regardless the new rule/drawing/scoring systems, the better players still should prevail. Even the duel between Taufk vs Lin Dan, though unfortunate to meet one another on round 1, how is it different if they meet on round 3?
    In the Super Series, even the qualification round is worth watching, IMHO.
    Han

16. haifeng4ever

haifeng4ever Regular Member

It's a sheer bad luck for Malaysian men's doubles in the draw for the MO.:crying: Four of the pairs could join in the same half by AG Champions KKK/TBH. I'm so sad that KKK/TBH have to play against CCM/HTH in the early round. I know this would happen. But how come? All the four pairs have to fight against each other. That means when comes to semis, they will be only one malaysian pair. Oh, gosh, this is so terrible. :crying: :crying: :crying:
    The draw for the MD will so terrible, and why KKK/TBH have to play as a qualifier but CCM/HTH don't. This is simply so unfair. :mad: :mad: :mad:

#36 haifeng4ever, Jan 9, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  17. liying_0505

liying_0505 Regular Member

Student
    plz dun 4get tony & chandra are in too

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    The draw is harsh on both LD and TH because they are about the best in the business and should not have to go out in the first round.

Others may think this is fair as this is an individual tournament but when you are in the world top 5, and having to be knocked out in R1 after spending so much resources this is cruel. Worst still if the WR 20 is able to reach the QF or better because more earnings for those who can advance further.

Either LD or TH will get nothing or just a token sum for expenses. :(

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Speaking of this, we should hear from....

...the man himself, indra, anytime soon on his prediction for his #1 player Taufik..hehe:p :D ;)

20. PlayaFromMalaya

PlayaFromMalaya Regular Member

Student
    From TheStar.com.my

Rexy was unhappy that the Badminton World Federation (BWF) used the notional rankings, which gave Chong Ming-Thien How, who will be making their first international appearance as a pair, a place in the main draw.
    “I am happy that the BWF are making the Super Series tournaments interesting by limiting the draw of an event to 32 entries and scrapping the national separation rule,” said Rexy.
    “But if they want the best pairs in the world to be in the main draw, why use the notional ranking that bring a newly-formed pair into the main draw. They should have discarded that rule too.”
    According to the BWF rule, a new pair with players making a return after injury or split must use the notional ranking.
    Their individual world ranking points (achieved with their former partners) will be used to calculate a new world ranking. This is to compensate for a strong doubles pair who is making a comeback or starting anew but have only competed in a few competitions.

http://www.thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2007/1/10/sports/16526074&sec=sports

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.