Malaysian Juniors 2008

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by erin_hakkinen, Dec 14, 2007.

1. malaikiat

malaikiat Regular Member

student
    tcs and arif, whos better?

2. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    IMO, Sonia is more potential then her sister.:cool:
    And Tee Jing Yee can play quite offensively as the boys :eek:

3. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    can say both of them were almost on the same level recently :cool:

4. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    it's not fair to compare them...i think...because arif is 3 years younger...

5. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Since Chong Wei Feng beat Chen Jin on Wed, he's getting some coverage :
    Below is his pic
    http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Friday/Sport/2203933/Article/index_html
    Badminton / India Open: Choon Eng-Chong Ming enter last eight

By : K.M. Boopathy
    [​IMG]
    Wei Feng defeated Chen Jin 25-23, 12-21, 21-16 in 60 minutes to register the biggest win of his career.

MEN'S doubles Chew Choon Eng-Chan Chong Ming toppled South Koreans Lee Jae Jin-Hwang Ji Man to reach the quarter-finals of India Open while Malaysia's campaign in the men's singles came to an end at the Gachibowli Indoor Stadium in Hyderabad yesterday.
    Choon Eng-Chong Ming defeated Jae Jin-Ji Man, the All England runners-up, 21-17, 11-21, 21-16 in 45 minutes in the second round match.

Wong Choong Hann, giant-killer Chong Wei Feng and Yeoh Kay Bin blew a golden opportunity to move ahead in the tournament.

Choong Hann, looking forward to a good result to increase his chances of qualifying for the Olympics, lost 21-18, 21-14 to Lu Yi of China in 47 minutes.

It was a disappointing end for Wei Feng as he had mauled All England champion Chen Jin of China in the second round on Wednesday but surprisingly found England's Andrew Smith too strong.
    Wei Feng, who defeated Chen Jin 25-23, 12-21, 21-16 in 60 minutes, could not capitalise on the victory and lost 21-18, 12-21, 21-19 to Smith in 61 minutes in the third round.

Yeoh Kay Bin also failed to get past the third round after losing 21-16, 21-19 to Anand Pawar of India.

In the women's singles, Julia Wong advanced to the quarter-finals after beating Gayatri Varatak of India 21-16, 21-17 yesterday.

Julia will either play Zhou Mi of Hong Kong in the last eight today.

However, Anita Kaur bowed out in the second round after losing 21-13, 22-20 to Pai Min Jie of Taiwan.

6. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    goh/au,chong li qun lost at the japan international challenge...

7. erin_hakkinen

erin_hakkinen Regular Member

Business Student
    Source: The Star Online

Tuesday April 22, 2008

Arif the favourite to take up fourth singles spot

By RAJES PAUL

PETALING JAYA: Malaysia may follow Indonesia in naming a youngster as the fourth singles player in the Thomas Cup Finals, which will be held in Jakarta from May 11-18.
    And Mohd Arif Abdul Latif is looking good to be one of the frontrunners for the job. He could be making the trip with the country's top three players – Lee Chong Wei, Wong Choong Hann and Mohd Hafiz Hashim.
    The 20-year-old Arif could be considered for the slot for upsetting Hong Kong's Chan Yan Kit in the first round of the recent Asian Badminton Championships (ABC) in Johor Baru.
    In fact, Arif has the experience of playing in the Thomas Cup qualifying round, which was held in Vietnam in February.
    Indonesia have named Tommy Sugiarto through a selection trial among the back-up players before the ABC. Tommy will join Sony Dwi Kuncoro, Taufik Hidayat and Simon Santoso as the singles players for the Thomas Cup.
    But if the selectors are not impressed with Arif's first upset in his first year as a senior player at the ABC, they can also toy around with the idea of naming either Chong Wei Feng or Tan Chun Seang, who had been given the exposure over the last three years.
    Back-up shuttler Wei Feng did well in the India Open when he pulled off a sensational win over All-England champion Chen Jin of China in the second round before bowing out tamely to Andrew Smith of England.
    Chun Seang's notable win this year was against Yeoh Kay Bin in the National Grand Prix Finals in Kedah.
    The project 2010-2012 squad's chief coach Rashid Sidek said he would recommend several names including Arif.
    “Before the ABC, we had two back-up players – Chun Seang and Chong Wei – who had shown good improvement. Now, we have Arif joining the fray,” said Rashid.
    “This is Arif's first year in the back-up squad and beating Yan Kit is admirable. Prior to the ABC, he has proven himself in the junior tournament. Now, he is showing progress in the senior tournaments.
    “I will recommend these players' names and it is up to the BAM (Badminton Association of Malaysia) to decide,” added Rashid.
    But if the BAM decide to rely on experienced hands in a bid to regain the Cup last won in 1992, they may call up KLRC Bhd's Lee Tsuen Seng to add depth in the team.
    There should not be any surprises in the doubles line-up when the BAM announce the Thomas Cup squad during the coaching and training committee meeting on Friday.
    Those assured of their places are Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah, Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong and Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari-Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif.

8. eaglehelang

Looks like Ng Hui Lin might not be quitting after all :

The Star Online > Sports
    Friday April 25, 2008

Hui Lin set to make Uber Cup debut after change of heart

KUALA LUMPUR: Over a month ago, national back-up doubles shuttler Ng Hui Lin handed in her resignation letter to the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM).

She cited her studies as a reason for quitting the national team.

Fortunately, the world junior mixed doubles champion has had a change of heart.

Now, the talented youngster is seen as one of the players with the ability to contribute a point for Malaysia in the Uber Cup Finals, which will be held in Jakarta from May 11-18.

In the Finals, the 18-year-old bubbly Hui Lin, who won the world junior mixed doubles title with Lim Khim Wah last year, will team up with KLRC Bhd’s Lim Pek Siah as the country’s second doubles.

In the Uber Cup qualifying tournament in February, Hui Lin-Pek Siah helped Malaysia seal a place in the Finals by clinching the winning point in the 3-1 victory over Singapore in the quarter-finals.

They will be joined by top pair Chin Eei Hui-Wong Pei Tty, Woon Khe Wei-Goh Liu Ying and four singles players – Wong Mew Choo, Julia Wong, Lydia Cheah and Anita Raj Kaur.

The names will be confirmed during BAM’s coaching and training committee meeting today.

Hui Lin said she changed her mind after finding out that she had a chance to play in the Uber Cup team.

“I was at a crossroad after the Swiss Open in March. I wanted to leave the national set-up because I wanted to pursue my studies. I also did not want to miss out being a normal teenager. Here (in the national set-up), it is all about badminton,” said Hui Lin.

“My parents told me the pros and cons of being a national player and left it to me to decide. Finally, I decided to stay and focus on my preparation for the Uber Cup,” she said.

Since deciding against quitting the national, Hui Lin has been hard at work – especially on getting fit for the challenging task ahead.

http://www.thestar.com.my/services/...ile=/2008/4/25/sports/21058577.asp&sec=sports

9. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    just hope that she wont stop...but i prefer senior + junior in mixed double...

10. winnie

winnie Regular Member

for example kkk-goh liu ying combination

11. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    ya...or wpt-lkw...they are better than expected...

12. eaglehelang

WPT/Lim KW I'm not so sure, WPT is many years older than Khim Wah. With Hui Lin back, % high they'll be paired back together.
    But Rexy did say that Msia XD have the chance to challenge for a medal in 2012 OG. WPT/KKK won bronze in WC 2006 without training together much.

KKK/Goh LY did better than expected considering Goh is weaker than Hui LIn or Khe Wei, judging from TC qualifiers. Goh's regular XD partner was another youngster(forgot the name), always lost early rounds.

13. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Based on current forms, Ng HL > Goh > Khe Wei ;)
    Goh regular XD partner is Mohd Lutif Zaim

14. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    pairing with elder can let them grow up faster...and it was better...hmm...

ya...mixed double are more chances...

15. eaglehelang

Ya kah ? You know better, you saw them during National GP :D.
    Last time I saw Khe Wei play XD was SEA Games in Dec 2007, from my untrained eyes, Khe Wei in SEA Games played better than Goh LY in TC qualifiers and ABC. But could be Goh was nervous, her 1st time in 'big league'.

16. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

all the MAS juniors...ahem..:)
    [​IMG]

17. yannie

yannie Regular Member

... no no, lin woon fui, gan teik chai and yeoh kay bin aren't juniors... hahaha..

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^id..id..^^

...we need to ID those guys and gals!!!...;)..

19. yannie

yannie Regular Member

back row: (left to right)

razif latif, tan chun seang, tan wee kiong, lin woon fui, khoo chung chiat, gan teik chai, yeoh kay bin, chan kwong beng

front row: (left to right)

woon khe wei, lydia cheah, forgot #1, julia wong, anita raj, forgot #2

can't really remember the forgots, next time i ask the MJs, if anyone else hasn't replied to this thread ok.

20. eaglehelang

Forgot #2 is Goh Liu Ying, her face getting more popular nowadays.