Mathias Boe Is A Sore Loser

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by Normal, Dec 20, 2014.

1. anjoooo

anjoooo Regular Member

You got me there. It would be impossible to enforce.

2. anjoooo

anjoooo Regular Member

So long as the flight of the shuttle is fairly predictable after it leaves the racket, then that's OK. I understand that "fairly" is a fuzzy word. Nothing is 100% predictable (chaos theory and all that :p).

If you trick someone with a flick serve or a wide serve, that's 100% fine.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Actually, now I'm really intrigued to find a slow mo clip of how LYD serves with a jab to destabilize the bird. Now I want to learn how to do this... although I may not be tall enough for it to work well... :(

4. visor

visor Regular Member

But why are you (and Boe ;)) so focused on the unpredictable flight path? No where is it written that the serve must be predictable...

5. anjoooo

anjoooo Regular Member

Because if it is highly unpredictable (like the S serve) then it gives an unfair advantage to the server. If it is not so haphazard so as to give an unfair advantage to the serve, then I'm OK with that.

So like I said previously, if you can get "used" to the serve, then that's OK. You can't really get used to the S serve, which is one of the reasons it was banned.

6. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I don't see how it is truly unpredictable as you are trying to argue. LYD has been doing it for quite awhile now. The danes have done well in their last match to leave the shuttle when it is falling short judgement wise after the whole delay and debacle in the first game. If they are able to judge a short shuttle on the same service action why do they have any reason to be butt hurt.

7. anjoooo

anjoooo Regular Member

I don't know how truly unpredictable it is as it's hard to tell from the video. It'd be easier to know if you actually experience someone using it when you're receiving.

I'm just saying that if it is unpredictable, then it would be an issue.

Also, nothing excuses Boe for his outburst. He should get some sort of penalty, perhaps a ban from a few tournaments. At the very least they should forfeit any points earned from the tournament (if any?).

8. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    No guarantees but I'll try to find one for you.

In fact, Yong-Dae is doing nothing different from the many players that slice the serve.
    The one noticeable difference is in the action.
    In LYD's case, his racquet goes down while his left arm goes up.

(Oldhand goes hunting for a video....)

9. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Interesingly - in the finals match, the third set, first service by LYD, Wei Hong mishit the return, then made a gesture that the shuttle was spinning weird. And GC commented about whether LYD has come up with some new service. In slow motion replay, the shuttle seems to tumble off his racquet over the net.

[video=youtube;qr_dxYgDdeA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr_dxYgDdeA#t=13m27s[/video]

#69 badrad, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  10. visor

visor Regular Member

Tks Oldhand. :)

[MENTION=35]badrad[/MENTION]
    Is the MD finals video out yet? I couldn't find them...

11. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    There is one video but strangely all the finals are kind of lost in space lol

12. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
  13. visor

visor Regular Member

Oic, badrad edited his post, now includes a video, starts from mid G2. Tks!

(Frantically goes off to watch...)

Edit... Ouch! It's very stuttery... giving me a headache just watching it for a few mins... :(

#73 visor, Dec 21, 2014
  14. DigitalDNA

DigitalDNA Regular Member

Business Analyst
    Super rough/grippy version of VS850 helping maybe? :p In a regular short serve, the shuttle will initially travel with the feathers facing forward, and then, once it reaches the top of the parabola, gravity does the rest and the shuttle descends with the cork down; if the shuttle is sliced hard enough to compensate for the weight difference of the cork, is it actually possible to cause it to backspin like a table tennis ball?

15. vkokamthankar

vkokamthankar Regular Member

Employed in a company
    Just a query. Is it a 'S Serve' or 'Ace Serve'. Someone please clarify.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    S serve....

17. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

I did not see the match, but heard about it from my peers.

I think something should be done. Unfortunately, service judge has no power on the court except for calling for service faults. A player saying things like this during a match, if the umpire hears, is an automatic red card, and the referee is summoned immediately and will decide whether they wish to black card the players.

I think something needs to change. I recently officiated at an international tournament, I also had two European players complain about their opponents doing a double motion. They even cussed at me twice. Unfortunately, the umpire couldn't hear it, but they said the F word directed at me twice during the match. They only ended with a yellow (for continuous attempts to approach me/attempts to influencing me). The behavior of players like this is not acceptable. A yellow should not be the only consequence, at least a red card (and they get the $500 fine from BWF).

I've also seen a video where Christina Pedersen was playing WD and she basically said the same thing to the umpire. She told her to learn English or something like that and insulted her after the end of the match and it was caught on the mic (this was a stream not from BWF though I believe). Surprisingly the umpire didn't card her at that time either.

18. visor

visor Regular Member

S for the Sidek brothers , although they were likely not the originators, but from what I read, they were the poster boys for BWF to ban it.

19. visor

visor Regular Member

Wow, Pedersen?

But still, badminton umpires are considered safer than say, soccer referees, where some have been beaten or punched to death. :eek:

20. vkokamthankar

vkokamthankar Regular Member

Employed in a company
    Will there be any action against Boe & Morgensen ?

There is lot of discussion about legality and finer points about Korean serve. But what about on court behavior of Dens Boe & Morgensen.

According to me they often argue with court officials, raise doubts on officials decisions, waste time, misbehave with officials and ridicule and insult officials. I have seen them doing this often and they have been rarely censured or acted upon. They seem to be getting away with their antics. Message going out is : 'it is normal and acceptable behavior'.

I feel court officials should be impartial but strict and they should not tolerate misbehavior. Dens should have been warned at least with Yellow Card for their misconduct.

#80 vkokamthankar, Dec 21, 2014