Mew Choo upset but still happy with silver

Discussion in 'Commonwealth Games 2006 Badminton' started by ants, Mar 26, 2006.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    27th March
    TheStar

SHE did not break down in tears but the bitter disappointment of narrowly missing the opportunity to become the first Malaysian woman in 28 years to win the singles gold medal will haunt Wong Mew Choo for a long time.

Yesterday, Mew Choo failed to reproduce the form that helped Malaysia win the gold medal in the mixed team final against England.

The 22-year-old Mew Choo went down tamely at 12-21, 15-21 to Tracey Hallam of England in less than an hour.

She had beaten Hallam in a thrilling match during the team final. This time, Hallam had her revenge.

Mew Choo admitted that she lost to a better player yesterday.

“I tried and tried but Tracey was superior today. She read my game too well. I tried to break her rhythm but I end up making mistakes,” said Mew Choo.

“I am disappointed and feel sad. I was hoping to win but I just could not lift my game. I am frustrated with the way I played,” she added.

If Mew Choo had won her final, badminton would have won five gold medals.

“I could have done better. But I am happy with a silver medal. Now, I will get ready for the ABC meet (Asian Badminton Championships in Johor Baru).”

Said national chief coach Yap Kim Hock: “The pressure got to her. She played a cautious game and was not using her better strokes. It would have been great for us if she had won but we are still satisfied with four gold medals.”

2. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    It was dissapointing that she lost :crying: Did Yup Kim Hock say "we are satisfied with four gold medals", I thought they only won three (MS,MD nd WD) :confused:
    Unlcuky WMC!:crying:

3. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

+ team gold ... ...

4. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    Oh yeah :cool: cheers :D