Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Mid Range racquet for Intermediate player

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Priyanshu90, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Priyanshu90

Priyanshu90 New Member

Background
    I started playing badminton 2 years back (switching from Table Tennis). While these 2 games are no way close to each other, I could easily appreciate the importance of placement and footwork. Started with Yonex Carbonex 8000 and switched to 3u Voltric 5 (coz I lost my Carbonex). Voltric 5 worked great for me for last 12 months. The placement, drops, defense, clears, smashes (not my strongest suite) were great, especially for Singles.

Recently I got to try a 5u Nanoray racquet in doubles. Without any doubt my defense went a level up (probably because of light weight). Other areas were fine except for smashes. I am already bad at smashing and felt that I wasn't able generate enough power. Now when I switch back to Voltric 5, it's a disaster in doubles. Although I still prefer it in Singles there is no way I can use it in Doubles.

Btw I play with Synthetic Shuttles (Mavis 350) and have made peace with 23/24 lbs tension for my strings.

Can you recommend a mid range racquet for me. I figured a 4u even balanced racquet would be ideal but owing to my limited experience, I would take an expert's advice.

Shops in my area do not let us try the racquets and max I can do is swing them at shop itself.

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Its not as easy as it look when looking for a new racket. Unless you have a good picture of which one you like or you could at least hold the racket yourself & feel its dry swing.

For Voltric next generation would be Astrox Series i guest & the mid range would be AX7/9/68D/68S/69.
    Have been able to touch AX7 & do dry swing (not in an actual stroke, only shadow swinging feeling the racket manouver), but for me who love the heavy feel on the head its kinda abit empty. Its close to even balance i guest, so maybe it would suit you.

I wonder if 68D /69 would feel better, but never had chance to touch it. Yet i also wonder what is the different between 68D, 69, & 9 as their paper spec is all the same & i read few little comment about AX9 feel underpowered in smash.

3. Priyanshu90

Priyanshu90 New Member