Moderators

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by JChen99, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

half the words we're using now were slang in shakespear's time. Personally, I think "lol" much more effective at communicating the writer's thoughts and expressions than "that was certainly humerous to epic proportions!" ;)

2. armortec user

armortec user Regular Member

Really? Which ones?
    Noone, but a bombastic fool, would say, "that was certainly humerous to epic proportions!".

I really like this forum; as far as I know there are no other sources on the net for the sort of information BadmintonForum provides. I was merely making a suggestion how to improve the forum. If you don't think my suggestions are valid, say so; there's no point being offended by constructive criticism. Could everyone please cool it?

3. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    your erosion of english points are quite interesting but, alas i bet you half of the people in the forum do not care. it has really gotten to some epidemic proportions as i have seen typers from non - english first language countries type sooo much slang and internet lingo that i could barely stand it. i'm worried because it would be terrible to sometime meet these people in the future and they'll be internet junkies :D anyways i think we should cool it with English class here.. your thesis makes a good essay but i think we should not place language barriers on the forum as it will prevent/put off many non native english speakers we so very much value on this forum.

goodday :)

4. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    You're right about that. Too perfect English doesn't make me too comfortable. In my school forum, we use lah, meh, aiyah, etc etc. What can I say? It's Malaysian's slang. :D

Aiyah, why must worry so much about things like that? Noone care mah...

Lol. That's an example... there are even more usually, only I don't feel comfortable putting it here. :) After all, BF improves my English(I think).

5. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

It must be hard to tell, if you can't be sure who is spelling correctly and who isn't.
    Unfortunately, I can't see things getting any better in the near future.

6. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    some slang is ok, but too much.. is not good. slangs like you have listed Joanne, are like the ones they use in Hong Kong.. its sad because kids here i know have been here for 6 years + and still can't speak proper English.. all because of slangs like those and their refusal to actually learn something.

Neil is right, i dont' think it's getting any better anytime soon.. as soon as the younger people (me included) clear their heads it might get better.

7. bigredlemon

exactly... which is why we all say "lol".

(and "which ones?" is an imcplete sentence, the next line is a sentence fragment due to improper comma, "noone" is mispelled, and the last period is also an improper use.) Before you start cringing at other people's writing, fix your own first!

8. armortec user

armortec user Regular Member

You're an idiot. If you knew anything about grammar, you wouldn't make those captious remarks. How can a question be an incomplete sentence, you fool? 'Noone' has now become the contracted form of 'no-one'. The commas in the second sentence form a parenthesis and the full-stop (I hope you can understand this one) marks the end of the sentence in which there was direct speech; it would have been an incomplete sentence if I did not put a full-stop after the exclamation mark of the direct speech. Anyway...

the point I made, which the more sensible people picked up on (Tomike, Neil), concerned not only the corruption of English through internet-speak, but also the great disservice we are doing to people - like Joanne - who are being denied exposure to proper English.

9. superv97

superv97 Regular Member

Business Manager
    Actually, BRL is correct on this and you are wrong. "Which ones?" is not a comlete sentence just because it is a question. You need other stuff like nouns and verbs to make it a complete sentence. What about, "Really?", is that a complete sentence? I don't think so. You are correct about noone, but why not just write no one. It is much easier for everybody to understand. If you are worried about everybody being exposed to proper english I would suggest you learn proper english first. Other than that this is a ridiculous post and you should not personally attack another person for giving his opinion.

10. bigredlemon

A sentence requires, at a minimum, a noun and a verb that agrees with each other. The only exception to this are exclamations. Noone may be accepted by you but it is not accepted most linguists. Look up noone in the webster dictionary. You won't find it there. Oxford English Dictionary? Nope again.
    As for periods, a period after a quote always belong within the quote itself even if the person quoted did not use the period, unless there is already a punuctuation there, in which case you either drop that punctuation or drop your own.
    These are the accepted rules of grammar.

By the way, the one who calls everyone else fools is usually himself the fool.

11. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    True dat, lol.

Sorry, I should have said "This statement by bigredlemon is consistent with fact or reality, and my slang is certainly humourous to epic proportions!"

Phil

12. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Another thread to be locked. At this rate, the moderators will be locking threads left, right and centre (Americans spell it as center).

Jeez (Oops, this is slang), at the way that this forum is heading, we might as well pack our bags and go home.

13. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Yeah. Chill guys! We're here as one family with badminton to unite us. :) Just because some of us don't speak/type perfect English doesn't mean it'll stop us... right?

Oh yeah, let's be more polite shall we?

14. bigredlemon

That is indeed true. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.