Mohd Ahsan / Hendra Setiawan

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Licin, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Not really , i support both of them. Maybe my uneasiness comes from the fact ageing Daddies that has to win AE/WC ( of course minions winning AE consecs matching RickyRexy).

In some sense, it could have been better if FajarRian that won AE. Of course INA have minions..

Its just like China depending on ChenLong.

2. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

don't see the comparison with China and Chen Long. i have yet to come across comments complaining about CL's win when SYQ is out. Chinese fans are happy to have more players capable of winning, instead of relying on 1 single player.

for indonesian MD, their biggest hope is certainly the Minions. but the nation is happy to see other pairs rising up to the occasion if the Minions fail.

#962 lodoss, Dec 29, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  3. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

ooo... so you really feel that the Daddies has grab much attention from the Minions this year.

well, the Daddies won AE with 3.5 legs, won the WC without any favouritism, so if you feel unease, then look away and look forward, instead of coming here and 'challenging' the Daddies on who is better, who won more SS/WT.

as for FajarRian, perhaps they will be doing better if they won AG18 which will boost their confidence. but then since the opponent is the Minions, surely you will want FajarRian to lost. ;)

Yoji likes this.
  4. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Happy that Daddies win , but they actually get realatively easy draw in AE & WC.. in AE, where they play 3 European pairs in the 1st 3 rounds. even the group stages of WTF. They needed that, just because they are skilful . Look at Fuzhou where they have to play 2 long matcher, they cant do much in QF even though in skills, they are way better than AaronSoh. Overall, the draw is important for any pair to win the title, even more so for the oldest pair like AhsanHendra.

5. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

haha, well, they were certainly given a favorable draw, but they still had to play well to win the tournaments.
    if you feel their victory is not well deserved, then i can't help it.

6. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Didnt say its not deserved.

Winning WC or just 1 tournament can be said luck, but winning AE, WC WTF and doing it in multiple or numerous years takes more than luck. Plus i think they still leads SS titles in this field if not because of Minions.

They said reaching final of SS already feels like victory at their age.

7. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

ooo... i guess you only start watching BWF in 2017, as that will explain your past comments on retired players such as FHF.
    the player with the most MD title is not Hendra (before the Minions dominate the circuit in 2017), it should be Lee Yong-dae from Korea. i think he has won 37 MD titles, and if include XD, over 40 in total.

yes, at the Daddies' age, any final appearance and victory is welcome. it was a surprise how they could play so well this year, which rekindle their hope of qualifying and doing well in their last Olympic next year.

8. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

He was talking about INA players.

Yoji likes this.
  9. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

if its only comparing among Indonesian players, then Minions do win the most SS/WT titles.

well, let's close this topic. 2020 is just a day away.

Hope to see the Daddies doing well in the coming year, especially the Olympics in Tokyo.

Yoji likes this.
  10. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

He wasn't comparing the titles. He was just saying only minions and Ahsan/Hendra winning the big titles in 2019, when there should be other INA pair backing them up so the pressure on Ahsan/Hendra wouldn't be that big like they have to win it if minions failed to do so.

Baddie lover likes this.
  11. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

Oh, my bad then for misinterpreting :oops:.

12. sen

sen Regular Member

13. wade

wade Regular Member

14. wade

wade Regular Member

15. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

Is anyone else getting the impression that other pairs are figuring out how to play against them? They were lucky to win today, to be frank.

Ahsan/Setiawan are very uncomfortable when players rush to the net at every opportunity, because they like to control the game using soft shots i.e drop shots, net shots, block shots. They are still very much a conventional pair in a sense, being the most formidable in a smasher-net player formation. And despite the praise for their flat play, I personally feel that’s an area that other pairs can beat them at. Their quality of shots is still the best in tour, but when they’re rushed that quality can drop to a level in which other pairs can then challenge them.

And that’s how I think competent pairs are going to play them right now. We saw hints of that vs Choi/Seo and Lu/Yang last year, then Li/Liu and now Lee/Wang to start of this year. For most of last year, only Gideon/Sukamuljo has been able to execute that tactic against them. But I suspect other pairs are now catching on, and it’s going to get more difficult from here on.

(Ironically if these pairs try to play this flat style against Gideon/Sukamuljo they’re probably going to get beaten. So as Indonesian fans, we’re quite lucky to have both of these contrasting pairs)

16. wade

wade Regular Member

It's gonna be an interesting battle against fajri tomorrow, imo they have similar style more or less...they like to mixing up their fast flat play with some soft touch plus efficient placement.

17. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Risky style of play. Li/Liu did it last week but its risky and needs to be really accurate. If AhsanHendra know this, i think they can just play like how Lee/Kim play against Li/Liu last week. Seems like they try to drive it faster at the front of the court against AhsanHendra .

18. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

Yeah but that’s not AhsanHendra’s preferred way of playing. There are other pairs that are better than them in the flat game, imo they were in the back foot most of the time today when the flat game was played.

19. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Really depends on Ahsan. His form carries Or drowns this pairing.

A crappy Ahsan, A decent Ahsan, Or Ahsan at his best.

20. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

Ehh why do you think that way? Hendra has his fair share of weaknesses too. If you said this back is 13-16 I might’ve agreed but the partnership is way more balanced now