MS needs Momota, Chen Long and Lin Dan ASAP

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Nine Tailed Fox, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

My Favourite Discipline is turning into an Old Aunt. It doesn't releases the same spicy aroma like it used to in 2015.

The recent tournaments have lacked the fiery spirit of Lin Dan, the sheer Discipline of Chen Long and the unique freshness of Momota. Lee Chong Wei is looking super bored as the lone Titan playing with mere mortals. SS victories have been questioned by crocodilesque critics. Qiao Bin, Saensomboonsak and Shi Yuqi are not ready to carry the sports on their shoulder. The Danes can't attract the crowd and question their abilities far too much . And last but not the least, the tournaments are boring.

Let's hope Chen Long conquers the heart of Shixian as soon as possible.
    Momota is released from the jail ASAP.
    And the arrival of Baby Dan pushes Lin Dan 10 year back into his joyful Prime.

Untitled1.png

volcom and kwun like this.
  2. Nonconvex

Nonconvex Regular Member

I agree, but I feel this is a natural cycle - the LD/LCW era is close to its end, and we need some new exciting talents to give Chen Long company. We'll probably get one more year out of the LCW/CL rivalry, but hopefully KM will be back then and we'll see a new one develop between him and CL. SK was promising for a bit because of the sheer sharpness of his attack when he is in full flow, but has been very disappointing overall for the last year and a half, barring a brief resurgence in the Olympics. I hope he starts making the semifinals and finals in big events soon, else he'll fade into oblivion quickly. Shi Yuqi is the only one among the newer players who seems to have a reasonably complete game. I hope he keeps getting better with more experience.

I agree, the Danes just don't seem to have the game or the star quality to win big titles or to really challenge LD/LCW/CL or even KM.

kwun likes this.
  3. Dangho

Dangho Regular Member

Once the plethora of veterans leave the world tour, I hope to see a new rivalry between players who has been overshadowed by the reign of LD/LCW. Players like Son Wan Ho, Axelsen, Jorgensen, Ng Ka Long, CTC etc. might pose a threath to CL, and of course Momota if he were to return.

It's great with such diversity imo, but I feel a lack of hunger in the younger players. What happened to the indonesian juniors who at one point seemed so promising? They beat good players sometimes, but they arent medal contenders. Shi Yuqi has potential, but what about the other chinese MS players around his age? The taiwanese guy who won the WJC last year is struggling badly to win matches.

I know it isn't easy by any means to win matches in the world tour as a youngster, but I feel like they were more prone to doing so a couple of years ago (in the MS category). Why is that?

4. djake

djake Regular Member

Dr
    Past generations of junior players usually require a few years to mature. KM and VA are two exceptional junior talents that appear to have matured relatively quicker than previous batches of juniors. LD and Taufik were similar, in that they started to win big titles even when they were teenagers. Even LCW and CL only came good when they were 21-22.

Post Olympics year is often interesting because of the changing of the guards. Anders Antonsen, Jonathan Christie and Lin Guipu are my tips to make a big breakthrough next year.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    personally, i think the issue right now is that fans are not passionate over the new players. they are just not as emotionally attached to them like they did with LD/LCW/PG/TH. none of the new players have the type of personality that attract people. hopefully that will change once they get more screen time or when rivalries develops.

Rob3rt likes this.
  6. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

In addition to all the good points above, we have to admit that, as badminton fans, we are still suffering from a bit of 'Olympic hangover'.

These last few months naturally feel a bit anti-climactic after all the build-up leading up to the OG.

As for the seeming lack of charisma among up-and-comers, well, as just one example, the young Chinese WD who won the recent French Open look very spunky. :cool:
    Don't worry. The pros in our sport will pleasantly surprise and entertain us for years to come.:)

visor and Nine Tailed Fox like this.
  7. Abu Tanki

Abu Tanki Regular Member

Student
    I miss Kento Momota. He has such a beautiful game to watch. Hopefully he'll be back soon.

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Apart from Lee CW, I can understand why the OP single out Chen Long and Lin Dan to resume competition as soon as possible.

But why Kento Momota who has yet to prove he's in the same league as the Super Trio? He's been quite impressive , no doubt, but I'll give him a bit more time to rise to their prominence if he's really up to it. My assessment of him is somewhat similar to my take on Shi Yuqi, just a bit more impact for Kento Momota for he had achieved better results simply because he's been around longer than Shi Yuqi who's only in his first year of the pro circuit.

Meanwhile, I already see on the horizon a number of others quite capable of challenging Momota and without him , they are currently the ones to spice up the badminton scene, namely, to mention only the younger ones around or in their early 20s, Tanongsak Saensomboonsuk, Viktor Axelsen, Shi Yuqi, Qiao Bin, Xue Song( yeah, you may question his inclusion,just that I think he'll make it soon), Jonatan Cristie (yes, he has the potential),not in any order.

And, if you'd allow me to stretch it a bit, I'd like to include the following whom I feel show signs of good future prospects, at the moment still bobbing in and out just beneath the surface, so to speak - Wang Tzu Wei, Anders Antonsen (most recent addition), Huang Yuxiang, Iskandar Zainuddin, Zulkifli Zulfadli, Jeon Hyuk Jin, K Srikanth (don't write him off), possibly one or two others I missed out, again not in any order.

As an aside, I wish to mention as worthy of note some of the extraordinary veterans in their twilight years who are likely to call it quits this one or two years but right now still able to make their presence felt more often than not, notably, Lee Hyun Il (of course), Wei Nan, Brice Leverdev (a late bloomer?), Boonsak Ponsana, Hu Yun, Marc Zweibler, Hans Kristian Vitinghus, in disorder.

Also in between we've those in their mid-career capable of creating upsets now and then,such as Chou Tien Chen, H S Prannoy, Angus Ng Kah Long, Vincent Wong Wing Ki, Son Wan Ho, Jan O' Jorgensen, and one or two others (to each his own).

Dangho likes this.
  9. Nonconvex

Nonconvex Regular Member

I think it's probably because no other top-10 MS has dominated the others in the field as well as KM has - he's beaten VA, the Rio bronze medalist, at least thrice in a row; he's won multiple SS titles, including the SS finals, the Indonesia SSP, the Indian SS, has a WC bronze, was part of Japan's Thomas Cup winning team (winning all of his matches, and was described by Steen Pedersen as Japan's MVP). All this before he turned 22. Nobody's talking about him challenging the super trio, but we'd be hard-pressed to find another youngster with as impressive a record, notwithstanding VA's Olympic bronze.

VA's the only one who comes closest, but KM has completely outclassed VA in all recent games.

I agree with your other points in general - the one player who I think really has the potential to be up there is Son Wan Ho. In some sense, he already has shown this potential by troubling Chen Long and occasionally the Danes as well.

#9 Nonconvex, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    ratul_kai and skhai91 like this.