nbg 98 vs bg 80/80p

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by phantan123, Jan 18, 2019.

1. phantan123

phantan123 Regular Member

im getting my racket restrung soon and before i was using bg 65 at 24lbs when i was new to the game but now i find that it doesnt meet my needs anymore.im wondering between these 2 strings which would be better. i am an aggressive player but do need to play some more technical shots every now and then. i prioritize durability but if it can last around 2-3 months at 25-27lbs then that would be perfect and if the string can retain close to its tension during those 2-3 months or not. i hope you guys can give me your own first hand experience of the strings

2. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

Bg65 is a good string. Which string could be better depends on personal preferences.

BG65ti has a harder feel, NG98 more repulsion power and NG99 more control. You could also take a look at LiNing No.1. A slightly thinner string, but still with good durability. Longer than the BG66 from Yonex. That would probably be the best string of all.

phantan123 likes this.
  3. phantan123

I would love to take into consideration other strings besides yonex but i dont know where they are sold where im from and the only shop near me sells only yonex strings. I know both the dominant qualities of 98 and 99 but which would be the better compromise. I dont mind having less repulsion if i can have more durability, and i would prefer if said string can stay close to its tension for a long time.After using bg 65 i find that it is absolutely dead to me and the tension dropped so much that a simple net shot can be 2-3 inches higher than average.So if you guys can compare the 2 strings more precisely that would be the greatest of help

4. phantan123

A bit of an update now i am considering between bg 80/80p and nbg 98 because 99 loses tension quicker than them but im wondering how would bg 80/80p and feel and last at 26lbs

5. ramkrishr

ramkrishr New Member

My experience with bg80 is that tension is lost within few weeks. I play on an average 4-5 hours a week. I had it strung at 24lbs. When new loved the control and the tighter net shots that I was able to play with ease. After few weeks I have to be really conscious as the control is less now. I am going to restring today. Will stay with bg80 but thinking of going to 26 now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phantan123 likes this.
  6. esppy

esppy Regular Member

You want durability? NBG98. Gold color especially. Damn son.
    My tension is 30lbs done 2 pcs 4 knots style.
    My shortest time on one string was 7 weeks (1.75 mths), and longest at 10 weeks (2.5 mths). Still playable and every single snap was the mains breaking (2 or 3 at once) due to me constantly whacking and smashing. I don't do light stupid finesse shots when I am in position, so... happy to give up the netting advantage it loses over BG80. Not that it gives me much issues anyway. More the person than string.

Yes the freshness may be lesser after the 5th week, but still very very playable. At high tensions it comes alive since the coating is worn thinner when new, IMO. After that the crispness of the string comes on while the stringbed frays, and goes eventually.

My friend who uses 29lbs prestretch 5% for BG80 loves it when new, tight net shots and all, BUT, the freshness and tightness of the stringbed goes after 3 weeks and falls off a cliff. Granted he smashes harder than me, and most of his stringbed snaps after 5-6 weeks.

For your perusal, @phantan123 .

SomeoneElse and phantan123 like this.
  7. phantan123

Thx for the info @esppy i find it weird that the 98 lasts longer than 80 even though its thinner and last question at 26-27 lbs do you think 98 can still perform its best?

8. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Yeah. I don't know why, but been using this setup for 2.5-3 years, with prestretch at 5%, and it's been good for me.
    I mean... by logic the BG65 should outlast everyone but I tried it at 30 and within 2 weeks I had to cut it, became so smushy that i was impossible to really transfer power (at least from me). Became flat shots and bouncy as f***.

I think if you don't do prestretch, try 28. Chances are the stringer will be unable to deliver a true 28 so you end up with something like 26.5-27, which is what you want I guess. Anyway, the pinging sound should be "ting" after 27, so if you hear a "bong", then the stringer is cmi. String should be slowly coming alive at that tension anyway, anything below gets a dull and bouncy thud from 98, imo.

Now trying Aerobite, getting more angle than NBG98, but somehow still not as repulsive somewhat. Of course the stickier rubber mains bite the shuttle for better netting... but, yeah. Still trying to understand what's up.

9. phantan123

Lol my racket can only handle 27 lbs max so what do i do :// @esppy

#9 phantan123, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  10. phantan123

after a bit of digging and what you said, the nbg 98 NEEDS to be used at high tensions which my racket unfortunately cant handle so i think im going to use bg 80 after all but at my sort of tension do you think bg 80 will last longer and be more fresh compared to your friend's?

11. esppy

esppy Regular Member

What do you think I use my string on? Not many racquets cover 30lbs.
    VT70ET shows 25 max on the cone for a 3U.
    Arc11 shows 24 on the cone max, Duora 10, 27. VT80 4U, 26.
    Even AX77 is 29, iirc.

Since it goes to 27, just ask for 28 and get NBG98. Done.

12. phantan123

Im just worrried that my stringer wont allow me to go near 27 let alone 28 ://. How about i just try bg 80 at 26 ish lbs first and go from there

13. phantan123

you know what...im gonna go a little bit safer and go for nbg 99. i know nbg 98 is more durable than 80 but not so much as to last 2-3 months and the 99 doesnt perform bad either...certainly better than 65 and since my playstyle does involve doing more technical shots the 99 i think is the better all-rounder after 65

SomeoneElse likes this.
  14. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I recently switched from NG99 to BG80. I strung it at 24Lbs (11Kg) while my NG99 was previously strung at 23 Lbs (10.5kg). I find the BG80 giving me better control, repulsion and precision. It’s pretty much the contrary to what the Yonex chart for strings claims though. I doubt it’s only coming from that extra lbs in tension.