Need a modern Carbonex 20 equivalent

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by caboverload, Nov 20, 2013.

1. caboverload

caboverload New Member

Hi guys,

I have played my 2U Carbonex 20 since 1987 and want to retire/preserve it and get a modern racket. What is the closest in terms of feel and performance? I know I can buy another Cab20 (probably will), but I want something else as well.

Here's a little more about my playing:
    -intermediate doubles and singles, depends on who I play with
    -more of a control player, prefer placing the shuttle over furiously smashing it
    -I play 2-3 times a week (including weekly coaching)
    -prefer string tension around 22lbs (BG80 Power works well for me)
    -love oval heads and the concentrated sweet spot, but open to moving to isometric heads.
    -4U is too light for me, 3U or 2U is best
    -open to brands other than Yonex
    -preference for even balance to mildly head heavy (I hate super head light or super head heavy rackets).
    -price no object
    -primarily play with feathers

Thanks!

2. visor

visor Regular Member

[MENTION=7]Cheung[/MENTION] will say why change? :)

3. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

get the white japanese carbonex 20.. :)

4. caboverload

caboverload New Member

Point taken :)
    Let me rephrase the question then.

To all the cab 20 fans out there, what other rackets have you enjoyed? Has anything come close to or surpassed the 20?

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I just tried the Gosen Customedge V. It's an oval frame. Definitely one to try out and slightly stiffer compared to Cab 20 original.

6. disci

disci Regular Member

hey cheung any chance you might add a review to the customedge V thread?

also, would you recommend cab 50 to people who like old cab 20's?
    i know it's more head heavy and a little longer but it fits into caboverload's desired specs and i hear a lot of good things about it.

7. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    There isn't anything in the Yonex line up that gives the same feel as the original cab 20 really. The newer carbonexes don't feel the same, notably stiffer. I have a suspicion the material they used in those days is slightly different to what they use today.

I have several cab 20 originals and some re-released versions, they don't feel the same, similar, but not the same.

If you are wanted to venture onto the "modern" iso racquets, I would suggest trying the ArcZS. Of the isometric yonex's, the ZS has perhaps the most oval-like shape head. The sweetspot is fairly concentrated and the stiffness is a touch stiffer than the cab20.... not massively though. The balance is even balanced, but perhaps right at the top end of the even balanced band - some say it is slightly head heavy.

As with the cab 20, if you nail the sweetspot everytime, it gives a very unique and satisfying feel, more so than other racquets.

The biggest difference to get used to is the swing speed though. It will swing a lot faster than the cab20. So give it a little time to adjust your timing.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

OT: A review of the Gosen racquets are in a draft stage.
    Same experience here. Again, my suspicion (though unproven) is the composition of the materials have slightly changed over time.

Interesting. I had the opportunity to get some of these second hand. I didn't even bother trying them out but now a little regretful of not even having a test hit after your comments.

9. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Well its difficult to adjust to an ArcZS with just a quick test. You really do need some time to adjust to it. I wasn't really coherent with it until my second/third session.

But it is an interesting racquet from a Carbonex-fan point of view. My favourite Cab was the original 21, the ArcZS in some ways reminded me of it... whippy, solid and good feel. Like all oval shaped racquets, you're encouraged to time your shots very well as they're naturally less forgiving. The ZS is a bit like that. However, that is not to say that the ZS is a carbonex, it isn't. It's just a nice racquet that gave me a nostalgic feel... I don't play with it anymore mind, as it's not quite stiff enough for me.

10. caboverload

caboverload New Member

I found something pretty close:
    Victor MX-60 4U.

The 3U was too head heavy, but the 4U had almost the same even balance and feel like the Cab20.
    Moreover, it has a longer reach, not too wide head, and similar flex.

I think it's a good modern interpretation of the Cab20.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Thanks for reminding me of this thread. I have played with the Customedge type V more now. My impression is that it does feel rather similar to the cab 20 but lighter. I feel I can't get so much weight into the overhead with the Customedge but of course, with a lighter weight of the newer racquet and so many years of using a cab 20, I think it's to be expected.

#11 Cheung, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014